Who would still have their number retired if they left their team before the 2024-25 season?

Who would still have their number retired if they left their team before the 2024-25 season?

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Lets say these players were to leave their current team before the start of next season, who would still have their numbers retired?

I know not all these players are stars but keep in mind a lot of these guys hold records on their teams and are on franchises that dont have rich history. Some teams also have different standards than others so take that into account.

Last edited:

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Surely depends on how they leave in alot of cases? If they force their way out ala Roy or if they are doing it in mutual understanding with the team.

Anyway I am not that well versed in the standards different teams have so hard for me to answer. Guess players like Kucherov, MacKinnon who won cup(s) with the franchise in addition to gaudy individual seasons are no brainers? Barkov should be shoe-in aswell due to the novelty of first cup as captain etc, same for Bob I suppose.

Fox for example is way early in my opinion. Players like Kreider, Reilly are absolute no goes since they play in very historical teams with lots of great players and didn't win the cup or any significant individual hardware.

Hardest to answer would be the "lesser" players on "lesser" teams.

Reactions: Felidae

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I'll have a go at it.

Retired.

- Mackinnon, Rantanen, Makar: They retired Bourque's number after one season and winning the cup, enough said.

- Kucherov, Vasilevsky: one is the best player in franchise history, and the other was considered the best goalie for half a decade.

- Marc Edouard Vlasic: had to think about this one, but what changed my mind is, did anyone think Marleau was more valuable than MEV during San Jose's Prime? I don't think so. He holds franchise records (presumably most of them) for the defenseman position and is 3rd in GP in team history.

- Leon Draisaitl: one of the best players in the league, wouldn't be too much younger than when Messier and Kurri left the team.

-Aleksander Barkov: holds the most important franchise records, one of the best two way forwards in the league, arguably best player in their cup run

- Brad Marchand: despite the storied history, I think he's done and stayed long enough. Elite player for a couple seasons, and most infamous player of his era certainly helps.

-John Carlson: best defense in franchise history, also the longest tenured one, holds a bunch of positional records

- Connor Helleybuyck: Best player in franchise history, and also considered one of the best goalies of his era

- Auston Matthews.
He already has more hardware than most Maple leafs players despite a pretty short career. Doug Gilmour has a shorter career as a lead and he's in.

-Roman Josi: 2nd most games played, top 3 player in team history.

Maybe?

-Tyler Seguin, Jamie Benn: Normally I would say yes, but Dallas is surprisingly stingy and it took ages for Lethinen and Zubov to get in despite being elite players and a huge part of those cup runs. Seguin and Benn fell off early as elite players and more importantly, haven't won anything.

- David Pastrnak:
Neely's induction makes me think he could also get in. They are a similar caliber of player and Pastrnak has more games. But I dunno, I feel like Neely was more loved by the Bruins than Pastrnak is now (not that pasta isn't ofc, but I get the impression it was another level with Neely back then) Bruins fans feel free to correct me.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Here's who I voted for:

Barkov - Long career, cup just now, and franchise very low on all-time greats
Josi - Long & very solid career, also franchise low on all time greats
Jamie Benn - same
Letang - 3 cups, been there the whole time...he's getting his jersey retired in Pittsburgh. Him, Malkin and Crosby.
Auston Matthews - I hesitated on this one to be honest, but Toronto hasn't had a ton to celebrate recently, so ultimately voted yes. If he left because he "demands a trade", then no, but tried to ignore the reason why he'd leave
Vasi - Yes. All of Hedman/Kuch/Stamkos/Vasi will get it in Tampa. Point - no, maybe eventually though
MacKinnon - Yes. Strong enough record and long enough career, pretty easy
Kucherov - The most obvious yes on this list to me

I'll comment on a couple of surprising no's:

Draisaitl - I'm very split on him. Ultimately, it's about how strong the Oilers dynasty is full of great players with cups that led me not to vote for him. If they had won the cup last year, I'd say yes. I'm actually re-thinking it as I'm typing this though, i'm 50/50, good chance he might get it. If he re-signs with Edmonton it's 100% yes, especially with a cup

Marchand - Boston is a franchise with such a rich history, which is why I said no. It's possible though.

None of the other names are really close. Makar for example will definitely get his jersey retired in Colorado if he sticks long enough, but needs more than ~5 years.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'll have a go at it.

Retired.

- Mackinnon, Rantanen, Makar: They retired Bourque's number after one season and winning the cup, enough said.

- Kucherov, Vasilevsky: one is the best player in franchise history, and the other was considered the best goalie for half a decade.

- Marc Edouard Vlasic: had to think about this one, but what changed my mind is, did anyone think Marleau was more valuable than MEV during San Jose's Prime? I don't think so. He holds franchise records (presumably most of them) for the defenseman position and is 3rd in GP in team history.

- Leon Draisaitl: one of the best players in the league, wouldn't be too much younger than when Messier and Kurri left the team.

-Aleksander Barkov: holds the most important franchise records, one of the best two way forwards in the league, arguably best player in their cup run

- Brad Marchand: despite the storied history, I think he's done and stayed long enough. Elite player for a couple seasons, and most infamous player of his era certainly helps.

-John Carlson: best defense in franchise history, also the longest tenured one, holds a bunch of positional records

- Connor Helleybuyck: Best player in franchise history, and also considered one of the best goalies of his era

- Auston Matthews.
He already has more hardware than most Maple leafs players despite a pretty short career. Doug Gilmour has a shorter career as a lead and he's in.

-Roman Josi: 2nd most games played, top 3 player in team history.

Maybe?

-Tyler Seguin, Jamie Benn: Normally I would say yes, but Dallas is surprisingly stingy and it took ages for Lethinen and Zubov to get in despite being elite players and a huge part of those cup runs. Seguin and Benn fell off early as elite players and more importantly, haven't won anything.

- David Pastrnak:
Neely's induction makes me think he could also get in. They are a similar caliber of player and Pastrnak has more games. But I dunno, I feel like Neely was more loved by the Bruins than Pastrnak is now (not that pasta isn't ofc, but I get the impression it was another level with Neely back then) Bruins fans feel free to correct me.

In my opinion - 100% that neither Rantanen nor Makar get retired if they are traded out of Colorado this year. I think both get it eventually, but only after sticking there longer.

Bourque isn't a good comparable. Bourque would be the equivalent of....Sidney Crosby being traded to Toronto this summer - winning a cup/smythe with them next year then retiring, and getting his jersey retired. It was more about Bourque's "all-time greatness/end of career" then the just 1 year needed.

Very surprised you left Letang off your list too, he's one of the most obvious ones to me.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
In my opinion - 100% that neither Rantanen nor Makar get retired if they are traded out of Colorado this year. I think both get it eventually, but only after sticking there longer.

Bourque isn't a good comparable. Bourque would be the equivalent of....Sidney Crosby being traded to Toronto this summer - winning a cup/smythe with them next year then retiring, and getting his jersey retired. It was more about Bourque's "all-time greatness/end of career" then the just 1 year needed.

Very surprised you left Letang off your list too, he's one of the most obvious ones to me.
Fair enough about rantanen/Makar and Bourque not being a good comparable.

I only left Letang out because Pittsburgh has really high standards. Only 3 numbers are retired, and Briere was an exception. A few great players like Francis, Barrasso, Steven's, borderline HHOFer calibre players and huge contributors to their cup runs, haven't gotten their numbers retired when it would probably be the case for half the franchises

And from what ive seen, even among penguins fans it doesn't seem to be a consensus that his number should be retired

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Nashville's guys:

Yes:

Josi - definitely getting his # retired; Norris winner + and additional 95 and 85 point seasons.

No:
Forsberg - Maybe if he hit 50 goals this year.
Saros - would need some hardware.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad