Speculation: What do the Devils do this offseason?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
New coach, new changes to how they like their roster. I am curious what the Devils priorities this offseason are.

Capspace: ~19M
Noteable contracts expiring: Mercer

#1 I imagine is a goalie who can at least play 50 games.

Defense seems set, Forwards mostly set.

Do they try and get tougher to play against? Do they try and change something to the makeup of the D or forwards? If so what could those moves look like?

Or do they mostly think a new coach and a goalie is enough change to contend?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Their off-season should be pretty straightforward:

1. Resign Mercer
2. Fill out the remaining roster spots with FA/minor trades
3. Find a goalie.
4. Reorganize list and switch 3 to 1 with a long gap until 2.

They need health. They shouldn't be hitting the panic button. Heath, a new goalie, and a new coach will do them good.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It probably won't happen, but I wonder what the #10 would fetch them in the trade market? On paper, they seem like a team that is ready to compete now, but could use a bit of snarl in their lineup. They seem to have speed and offensive talent.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Will re-sign Mercer, obviously.

Will trade for a goalie, most likely markstrom imo.

Probably leaves them about 7-9 million (depending on which goalie and what type of contract Mercer gets). Will probably trade or sign for a second line forward.

They could maybe make a change to the defensive group, but I've believed that they'll let these guys roll another year

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
There were two main areas which saw them fail this year.

1 - Goalies. Do whatever is required and get someone like Ullmark.
2. Home form. Their away record was better than Colorado, Vegas, and Tampa Bay. Their home record was appalling.

Sort those two things, and this is a playoff team. Oh, and find a way for Jack Hughes to be healthy for 82 games.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
They should try and get Zegras. 10 OA + ?
Can't think of a type of player that they need less, tbh. I think someone like cirelli would be a better add

Sort those two things, and this is a playoff team. Oh, and find a way for Jack Hughes to be healthy for 82 games.
Honestly, if he plays 72 a year, I'm happy lol

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Can't think of a type of player that they need less, tbh

Zegras is skilled and feisty. He’s exactly the type of sandpaper the Devils could use in their top six.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can't think of a type of player that they need less, tbh. I think someone like cirelli would be a better add

Cirelli makes sense since TB can't take back contract (outside of a minimal amount), so has to be to teams who can absorb the entire $6.25 mill cap charge.

Goalies, I'd imagine Boston would ask for a premium from an Eastern Conf team for Ullmark.

#10OA on its own, teams don't move RFA aged players for 18 year olds unless they are about to begin a rebuild. And I doubt NJ wants someone closer to around age 30 with only 2 years under contract back for that pick.

Reactions: My3Sons and Forge

Grinner

May 31, 2022
There’s a reason why a player with elite offensive skills is hated by opponents and opposing fans.
It's because he's hotdogging it out on the ice.
We're as vanilla seems to be the way to go

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It's because he's hotdogging it out on the ice.
We're as vanilla seems to be the way to go
Call it whatever but Zegras is elite offensively and hated. He must be doing something right. The Devils could use that. #10 OA isn’t going to help them. But using that pick (plus) to get Zegras sure would.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Goalies, I'd imagine Boston would ask for a premium from an Eastern Conf team for Ullmark.
Not sure about this. At the very least, ullmark can dictate where he's going to go for the most part. He may leave them no choice but to move him to an eastern conference team, especially since geography is playing an important role in where he wants to go.

Ultimately, moving ullmark makes sense for Boston. They aren't going to give him away, but they probably aren't going to play hardball either

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Call it whatever but Zegras is elite offensively and hated. He must be doing something right. The Devils could use that. #10 OA isn’t going to help them. But using that pick (plus) to get Zegras sure would.
He simply rubs players and fans the wrong way. Hopefully he grows out of it

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018

I don't see them moving three straight first round picks, so we'll see if they move the 25 first for a goalie.

10oa doesn't help them this year, but I don't think they are at a point where they are just saying "f*** those picks" LA Rams style either

Reactions: Fatass

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Other then what others have already said they need a bottom pairing/7th D/Smith replacement.

Hopefully better then Smith.

Reactions: QuizGuy66

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
I can see us getting a true defensive defenseman with that space. Not saying it will happen but I think it is possible. Marino and Siegenthaler regressed a bit last year.

Reactions: dgibb10

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I can see us getting a true defensive defenseman with that space. Not saying it will happen but I think it is possible. Marino and Siegenthaler regressed a bit last year.
Great goalies will make their D look better than they actually are. Devils need an elite goalie. Markstrom? Could they pry Demko from Vancouver? It’s all about the cost. But that’s the position they need to improve if winning is the goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad