Speculation: What do the Devils do this offseason?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Yeah, the best you go to change the subject is how bad things worked out for the Jets who finished in 4th place. Powerful weak bud. Maybe just stay on subject and stop embarrassing yourself.

The subject is how bad the Devils GM screwed up by not getting a goaltender instead of the steaming heap they had because “Aiden Hill won, why not these losers”? It didn’t have to be Hellebyuck kids. But it had to be better than what they had.
so finishing fourth validates a team and their goalies. but finishing 3rd doesn't do that. weird logic.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Worked out great for the Jets. How did it go for the Devils? :laugh::clap::nopity:

Yeah, the best you go to change the subject is how bad things worked out for the Jets who finished in 4th place. Powerful weak bud. Maybe just stay on subject and stop embarrassing yourself.

The subject is how bad the Devils GM screwed up by not getting a goaltender instead of the steaming heap they had because “Aiden Hill won, why not these losers”? It didn’t have to be Hellebyuck kids. But it had to be better than what they had.
I could be snarky in response and insult you on various levels completely within the terms of service. Rather than do that I’ll take the high road and explain that while few NJ fans disagree with the idea that NJ needs better goaltending the team is in a tough spot in that they have much of their cap spoken for and the goalies purportedly available are all around 30 or older and in need of new deals in the next couple of years. Its one thing to organically grow a goalie who does well for you and pay him for that but it’s difficult to do that with an outside guy especially when you give up a lot to add that goalie. The team is sort of backed into a corner. I think that sort of came out on the little reporting done on the NJ tire kicking on Hellebuyck. My guess is once they heard the contract ask they were out. I’m guessing the same will be true on Saros and Ullmark. Neither Boston nor Nashville is likely to send either guy out as a standard goalie type rental so NJ won’t get either. They will try for Markstrom without retention I’m guessing but hard to see them offering what they offered previously on him and Calgary probably doesn’t want to trade him out and weaken the NHL roster. The team may need a rebuild but owners don’t like to rebuild if they have any semi real hope of anything else. So that puts NJ in the position of having to find the next less heralded guy to have a nice uptick which is what they should be doing anyway. Why trade for someone else’s past performance? Its not easy but its what would pay off for them compared to trading Mercer to handcuff themselves to an uncertain goalie on the wrong side of thirty long term. You know this you are just being snarky.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Worked out great for the Jets. How did it go for the Devils? :laugh::clap::nopity:

Winning a single playoff game (in which Hellebuyck STILL gave up 6 goals) is your definition of working out great for the Jets?

If the Devils had traded for Hellebuyck and he got them to the playoffs before imploding for a 2nd straight postseason before his 7 year extension even kicked in I'd be more than a little bit concerned.

You're the one that keeps coming into Devils threads though to sulk over them not trading for Hellebuyck for some odd reason. Congrats on a great season though - I'm sure that 1-0 series lead against Colorado was an amazing moment.

Last edited:

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
We had much better goaltending after Allen and Kahkonen arrived and it didn't translate into wins in the last quarter of the year.

Room to address both positions imo if the right option comes along.

If Markstrom gets moved (be it to NJ or elsewhere) I will be curious what the return is - I personally have a feeling that Calgary passed at the top of his market chasing the mirage of a playoff berth.

Reactions: My3Sons and HBK27

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
says the winipeg fan after he saw hellebuyck in the playoffs
Oh you got me there. Remind me how the Devils playoff run went.

But again, it’s sad to see Devils fans need to try to distract from the topic. Must be too painful to talk about the Devils still. Keep trying to change the subject.

so finishing fourth validates a team and their goalies. but finishing 3rd doesn't do that. weird logic.
You missed a digit. The Devils finished 23rd. Weird logic.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

But again, it’s sad to see Devils fans need to try to distract from the topic. Must be too painful to talk about the Devils still. Keep trying to change the subject.

Are you actually this..... how do I put it nicely....... illiterate?

He was clearly talking about how finishing 4th this year is amazing for the Jets and proves your point the Devils needing a goalie after finishing 3rd. You're joking right?? Please, please tell me you're trolling

Last edited:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Devils will trade for a goalie. Most likely Markstrom. They will use their draft pick. They will sign some forwards to deals that look bad in a vacuum but you can defend given the team is now "going for it." Deals like giving Trenin 6 years or overpaying Tyler Bertuzzi. They will add a veteran 3rd pairing LD to compete with Bahl and play up the lineup in case of injury.

That's the most likely outcome imo.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I could be snarky in response and insult you on various levels completely within the terms of service. Rather than do that I’ll take the high road and explain that while few NJ fans disagree with the idea that NJ needs better goaltending the team is in a tough spot in that they have much of their cap spoken for and the goalies purportedly available are all around 30 or older and in need of new deals in the next couple of years. Its one thing to organically grow a goalie who does well for you and pay him for that but it’s difficult to do that with an outside guy especially when you give up a lot to add that goalie. The team is sort of backed into a corner. I think that sort of came out on the little reporting done on the NJ tire kicking on Hellebuyck. My guess is once they heard the contract ask they were out. I’m guessing the same will be true on Saros and Ullmark. Neither Boston nor Nashville is likely to send either guy out as a standard goalie type rental so NJ won’t get either. They will try for Markstrom without retention I’m guessing but hard to see them offering what they offered previously on him and Calgary probably doesn’t want to trade him out and weaken the NHL roster. The team may need a rebuild but owners don’t like to rebuild if they have any semi real hope of anything else. So that puts NJ in the position of having to find the next less heralded guy to have a nice uptick which is what they should be doing anyway. Why trade for someone else’s past performance? Its not easy but its what would pay off for them compared to trading Mercer to handcuff themselves to an uncertain goalie on the wrong side of thirty long term. You know this you are just being snarky.
Awww you told me you weren’t going to be snarky but failed at the end.

The Devils don’t need a rebuild. They needed decent goaltending and they would have made the playoffs. Even in getting Allen it was a significant upgrade. They have a number of young players that just need a little help if they make a mistake. They will be fine.

You don’t have to give up a lot to get a good goaltender. Brossoit could easily been had for $1.75m…probably less for him to not to have to live in Winnipeg last year. He put up a .927%. Even now I don’t expect a monster contract this year. Between him and Allen that would be a major upgrade over last years goaltending.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

My3Sons

Sponsor
Awww you told me you weren’t going to be snarky but failed at the end.

The Devils don’t need a rebuild. They needed decent goaltending and they would have made the playoffs. Even in getting Allen it was a significant upgrade. They have a number of young players that just need a little help if they make a mistake. They will be fine.

You don’t have to give up a lot to get a good goaltender. Brossoit could easily been had for $1.75m…probably less for him to not to have to live in Winnipeg last year. He put up a .927%. Even now I don’t expect a monster contract this year. Between him and Allen that would be a major upgrade over last years goaltending.
Where was I snarky? Beyond that I think the good goalie discussion is often people taking past each other. My impression is a fair number of people see better goaltending as someone that has already had their peak. I actually proposed going after Broissot on the NJ board as a solid option for a short term deal. I was met with some indifference and some negativity.

Reactions: Guttersniped

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

you were talking about the devils fans last off-season. a season the devils finished 3rd in the regular season and actually won a playoff series. if we compare the devil's 22-23 season with winipeg's 23-24 season i wouldn't want to change fandom with you.

as bad as this season went for the devils. i still like the outlook of our team. better than most teams in the league.

Reactions: My3Sons and HBK27

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

what other decent goalies moved last offseason? Please provide the list. I will wait!

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
devils wasted a year on the sweetheart deals hughes and hischier signed and even worse wasted an elc year on l. hughes and nemec becasue they were trying to cheap out on a goalie. poor decision all around. it was obvious they needed upgrade d and g over 2 years ago. i can't imagine they let it go another year.

My3Sons

Sponsor
what other decent goalies moved last offseason? Please provide the list. I will wait!
Allen and Kahkonen both did well for NJ after thr TDL in context (injured players interim coach season of little luck). If anything they showed that even with decent goalies you need more. Put even a great goalie behind last year’s team and the best they do is lose in the first round of the playoffs whether they end up third in the Metro or in a wildcard spot. The team needs stable goaltending but the coaching and team health and luck will be just as important. Hopefully the law of averages will favor them this upcoming season.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

It's not like their GM wasn't trying to get another goaltender last offseason - he was quite upfront about it. That doesn't mean he makes any deal though and can't really fault him when no other goalie was moved in the offseason.

There were certainly concerns about Vanacek going into this season, but I don't think anyone thought he'd be THAT bad after posting after leading the Devils to a franchise best record the season before. Was also reasonable to believe that Schmid would take a step forward instead of back.

Regardless, there was a lot more that went wrong this past season beyond goaltending. Injuries being at the top of the list, while coaching was also up there. Losing McLeod given the year he was having didn't help either. Also not like Fitz didn't try to get goaltending help in-season - many rumors of Markstrom agreeing to waive his NMC for NJ given a deal was close, only to maybe be pulled by Calagary ownership. Ullmark was another target, but he wouldn't waive his NTC. There was even supposedly a deal in place for Allen earlier in the season that he didn't waive his NTC for.

Anyway, missing the playoffs vs. being smoked in the first round is not that big of a difference. Devils long-term outlook still looks good and hopefully they get a good player at #10 or turn that into more immediate help.

Reactions: My3Sons

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
devils wasted a year on the sweetheart deals hughes and hischier signed and even worse wasted an elc year on l. hughes and nemec becasue they were trying to cheap out on a goalie. poor decision all around. it was obvious they needed upgrade d and g over 2 years ago. i can't imagine they let it go another year.
Rather stupid to say they "cheaped out on a goalie" when you have zero clue what the acquisition cost would've been.

I mean, if there was even one goalie that got traded last offseason you could've at least pointed to the deal and said "man, I can't believe the Devils weren't willing to top that offer", but you don't even have that to go off of...just pure speculation.

Doesn't the fact that there were a number of teams in desperate need of goaltending help (Kings, Maple Leafs, Oilers, Canes...) and none of them made a deal tell you a little bit about the cost of acquiring a goalie?

Given all the injuries and lack of depth for NJ this season, doubt they would've done much damage in the playoffs had they gotten in.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Why get a goalie if you don't have GRIT

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Please enlighten us on who they missed out on by being too cheap. I'd love to know what the price was that they weren't willing to pay. You seem to know exactly what that was, so let the rest of us know. Personally, I didn't see any significant goalie move last year, but I must have missed something.

Reactions: My3Sons

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
thats the losing culture than the devils need to avoid.

when a bottom 6 ahl forward wrecks your team its obvious you have to get tougher.
That's why they didn't bother with the goalie.

At this point we are just waiting for the contracts on Hughes (x2), Nemec, Nico and bratt to expire so that we can turn over the core to guys with more grit and actually have a chance at being successful

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
That's why they didn't bother with the goalie.

At this point we are just waiting for the contracts on Hughes (x2), Nemec, Nico and bratt to expire so that we can turn over the core to guys with more grit and actually have a chance at being successful
well your nailing that approach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad