What are your expectations for next season?

Stanley Cup Boundd

Sep 17, 2018
I'd be more interested to know what Zito's and ownership's expectations are, what the duration of PoMo's contract actually is and how much leash he will get - Zito and PoMo should have job security for life.

Hoping for us to be like Tampa, giving a half-assed effort during the regular season barely good enough to make the POs, be a nightmare for the topseed making another deep run (rinse and repeat over the next 5-8 years!)
Any chance that with the incredible success with the Panthers of the NHL, they (Ownership group & Zito) are looking at larger challenges? Maybe larger market losing franchises or even in other sports. Their system seems transferable.

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Unfortunately I think a lot of you are gonna be disappointed with Boqvist. He can't play defense.

that's why he'd make a perfect partner for gus!

seriously, though, he's young. has he ever played on a good defensive team? our structure and forward play will help him and the coaches will also be able to guide him.

for league minimum, it's worth a flyer.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
that's why he'd make a perfect partner for gus!

seriously, though, he's young. has he ever played on a good defensive team? our structure and forward play will help him and the coaches will also be able to guide him.

for league minimum, it's worth a flyer.

I'm not saying it's not worth a flyer, it is, especially in our situation. But he's just not the player a lot here think he is. Offensively, great potential. Great shot, hands, vision. But he is absolutely terrible defensively. Montour was somewhat decent defensively already when he arrived here. I've seen a lot of comparisons between the two here, and there just really isn't one. I mean, OTOH hasn't ever played on a good, solid defensive team. OTOH, Columbus a team who should be scooping up all the cheap young talent they can right now, deemed he wasn't worth the effort anymore, and at 2.6 M to boot. That should tell people something. Waddell is a pretty good GM, he's not some bum. I think he'll get some games in, especially being a right shot, but I definitely think Balinskis has the inside track on the 6D spot. And we'll definitely pick up a D at the deadline, and there's also Bjornfot, so Boqvist is gonna have to make a huge impression in order to be able to suit up in the playoffs. I really like the Jesper signing and I think he'll probably be re-signed, but I don't think Adam will. I'd love to be wrong, though.

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I'm not saying it's not worth a flyer, it is, especially in our situation. But he's just not the player a lot here think he is. Offensively, great potential. Great shot, hands, vision. But he is absolutely terrible defensively. Montour was somewhat decent defensively already when he arrived here. I've seen a lot of comparisons between the two here, and there just really isn't one. I mean, OTOH hasn't ever played on a good, solid defensive team. OTOH, Columbus a team who should be scooping up all the cheap young talent they can right now, deemed he wasn't worth the effort anymore, and at 2.6 M to boot. That should tell people something. Waddell is a pretty good GM, he's not some bum. I think he'll get some games in, especially being a right shot, but I definitely think Balinskis has the inside track on the 6D spot. And we'll definitely pick up a D at the deadline, and there's also Bjornfot, so Boqvist is gonna have to make a huge impression in order to be able to suit up in the playoffs. I really like the Jesper signing and I think he'll probably be re-signed, but I don't think Adam will. I'd love to be wrong, though.

i hear you. i haven't watched him play much so i appreciate the perspective. you're probably right that balinskis will slot ahead of him and that'll be the first battle.

as far as waddell is concerned, i might counter with the idea that you don't throw good money after bad. maybe he looked at his roster and the lack of a head coach and felt (probably rightly) he doesn't have tools to develop a kid like that so he's gotta cut the org's losses. idk, maybe he truly thinks he won't ever amount to anything. but we know that even that damning an opinion from one GM doesn't mean all that much.

but i know this much - none of the guys competing for a spot have scored 10 goals in the NHL in a season. and that's not nothing.

alright, alright... i'm gonna stop pumping this kid's tires here. i barely know him! i do think though that not only will he get several looks, the expectations for him might be a little different. and i do think that, if he's capable of growing, he'll be in an environment that will both protect him and provide opportunities.

... and, let's skip ahead to him being in first round of cuts in september!

Last edited:
Reactions: Idiot Stick

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
i hear you. i haven't watched him play much so i appreciate the perspective. you're probably right that he will balinskis will slot ahead of him and that'll be the first battle.

as far as waddell is concerned, i might counter with the idea that you don't throw good money after bad. maybe he looked at his roster and the lack of a head coach and felt (probably rightly) he doesn't have tools to develop a kid like that so he's gotta cut the org's losses. idk, maybe he truly thinks he won't ever amount to anything. but we know that even that damning an opinion from one GM doesn't mean all that much.

but i know this much - none of the guys competing for a spot have scored 10 goals in the NHL in a season. and that's not nothing.

alright, alright... i'm gonna stop pumping this kid's tires here. i barely know him! i do think though that not only will he get several looks, the expectations for him might be a little different. and i do think that, if he's capable of growing, he'll be in an environment that will both protect him and provide opportunities.

... and, let's skip ahead to him being in first round of cuts in september!

If anyone can rehabilitate him, it's Florida. Again, I acknowledge he has all the tools offensively. But you have to be somewhat passable on the other side of the puck, too. Especially if you want to play for the defending champs. I think we will protect him and give him a chance, but he also has to swim on his own at some point too. Is he capable of that kind of growth? We will see. Again , I'd love to be wrong. It would be fantastic to essentially get a Montour replacement, right after losing him. There's also health. He seems to be very injury prone, and that may be ultimately why Columbus bought him out.

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Unfortunately I think a lot of you are gonna be disappointed with Boqvist. He can't play defense.

I think that's okay considering the other 4 are fantastic defensively and Kulikov is decent now adays. Also we play in a system that shelters d-men for the most part. Panthers were number 1 in goals allowed so he's coming to the perfect team that can shelter his short comings.

Reactions: harv33173

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Any chance that with the incredible success with the Panthers of the NHL, they (Ownership group & Zito) are looking at larger challenges? Maybe larger market losing franchises or even in other sports. Their system seems transferable.

I highly doubt it.

The system here was basically "Identify the best guy for the job and let him run with it," and that's actually a lot harder than it sounds. We are very fortunate to have Bill Zito.

It's funny, things looked much different after the completely disastrous 2022 trade deadline and the even worse start to the 2022-23 season. Buddy Robinson, wherever you are, whatever you're doing, I hope you're having a wonderful time.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think that's okay considering the other 4 are fantastic defensively and Kulikov is decent now adays. Also we play in a system that shelters d-men for the most part. Panthers were number 1 in goals allowed so he's coming to the perfect team that can shelter his short comings.

Part of why we were #1 in GA was because we had 6 terrific D. Yes, it's easier for D in our system for the most part, but our system still does require:

1). Defensemen to pinch aggressively, and not get run over or turnstiled when they do

2)Tight gaps and defending aggressively at the blue line

3). They are still required to be able to shed the forecheck at times in their own zone. This is where I think Boqvist is gonna struggle the most.

It remains to be seen if he can tread water in these three specific areas. If he can't, he won't be playing many games for us.

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Part of why we were #1 in GA was because we had 6 terrific D. Yes, it's easier for D in our system for the most part, but our system still does require:

1). Defensemen to pinch aggressively, and not get run over or turnstiled when they do

3). They are still required to be able to shed the forecheck at times in their own zone. This is where I think Boqvist is gonna struggle the most.

It remains to be seen if he can tread water in these three specific areas. If he can't, he won't be playing many games for us.
Our pro scouts deserve the benefit of the doubt here, and he adds some skills offensively that we don't currently have on the roster. We shall see.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Our pro scouts deserve the benefit of the doubt here, and he adds some skills offensively that we don't currently have on the roster. We shall see.

a673a3b506fcd4ee.jpg

this team sucks

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I expect a step back in the regular season. The trade deadline will decide whether we get a 2/3D and thus whether we go far in the playoffs again. If we go in with just this d core, i dont see getting past the 2nd round.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
wasnt forsling kinda meh with vancouver and/or carolina?

Long shot and we obviously cant hit gold on every waiver/down player but its nice to have trust in our system

Im still forever scared from before and being a cowboys fan with their horrendous owner/gm

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

And you’ll certainly be wrong again brother…

1) One of his best attributes… Pinching and activating in the offensive-zone… Holding the puck in at the blueline and creating.

2) Not a great defender, but the best part of his defensive game has always been holding his blueline, and being aggressive at it… We’ll see if our coaches and mentors can teach him gaps…

3) He will struggle because of his size… But on those plays and on the boards, our team is built around support.

If he gets through training camp and is healthy, he will surprise. Not saying he won’t have competiton with Balinskis.

But you’re not really trusting our coaching-staff and systems to once again have a pretty strong position on a player without seeing him with a Panthers jersey in the NHL.

Wait and see…

You should have learned a lot by now. ;)

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I'm actually pretty curious how Tkachuk will do upcoming season (and really the rest of his time here)

He had a down year in comparison to the 2 seasons prior. Are we gonna get another 100 points season out of Tkachuk going forward? Or will he be an 80 point player (maybe even lower) the rest of his time here?

2 full seasons of 100 points is a large sample size, but at the same time he's played a shitton of hockey and nursed an injury in the 2022-23 playoffs that possibly extended to this season. His play style is pretty hard on the body compared to most players, and add on to the fact he's a slow skater and it's not the best recipe for aging well (even if his hockey IQ is high, if his body can't keep up.)

Anyways, hope he finds that level of elite production again. A couple more seasons like 2022-23 and HHOF isn't out of the question, which is always exciting as a fan.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL

Who was it who waived Forsling?

I have no idea how the kid will do but if he can put up some offense especially on the PP and isn’t Keith Yandle I’ll be happy.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm actually pretty curious how Tkachuk will do upcoming season (and really the rest of his time here)

He had a down year in comparison to the 2 seasons prior. Are we gonna get another 100 points season out of Tkachuk going forward? Or will he be an 80 point player (maybe even lower) the rest of his time here?

2 full seasons of 100 points is a large sample size, but at the same time he's played a shitton of hockey and nursed an injury in the 2022-23 playoffs that possibly extended to this season. His play style is pretty hard on the body compared to most players, and add on to the fact he's a slow skater and it's not the best recipe for aging well (even if his hockey IQ is high, if his body can't keep up.)

Anyways, hope he finds that level of elite production again. A couple more seasons like 2022-23 and HHOF isn't out of the question, which is always exciting as a fan.

Intrigued as well. But we did sign him in his prime and not his 30s when he was in his decline. Although what injury does he have and how long will it impact him?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
And you’ll certainly be wrong again brother…

1) One of his best attributes… Pinching and activating in the offensive-zone… Holding the puck in at the blueline and creating.

2) Not a great defender, but the best part of his defensive game has always been holding his blueline, and being aggressive at it… We’ll see if our coaches and mentors can teach him gaps…

3) He will struggle because of his size… But on those plays and on the boards, our team is built around support.

If he gets through training camp and is healthy, he will surprise. Not saying he won’t have competiton with Balinskis.

But you’re not really trusting our coaching-staff and systems to once again have a pretty strong position on a player without seeing him with a Panthers jersey in the NHL.

Wait and see…

You should have learned a lot by now. ;)

1) He is good at activating, but board play isn't his forte. Panthers' D have to be able to win board battles at the blue line and along the half wall. We'll see how well he does here.

2) I'll take your word for it

3)Again, yes we have good support in our own zone, but he'll still have to win some of his individual battles. Especially as our D is a bit weaker. If he can't win close to 50/50, I'd have to think Balinskis or Bjornfot will be playing over him.

I trust our coaching staff and we have great systems, I've probably been the biggest Maurice supporter here since day 1. But that only goes so far. Adam is gonna have to implement what's thrown at him. He's a defender, he's gonna have to win some of his battles in order to stick in the lineup.

I'm pretty sure I'll be proven right, however I'd love to be wrong....

Reactions: Idiot Stick

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Who was it who waived Forsling?

I have no idea how the kid will do but if he can put up some offense especially on the PP and isn’t Keith Yandle I’ll be happy.

There is no comparable to Forsling, he was always very solid defensively. The reason he was always looked over was probably because of his size.. Benning was a moron who traded him for Adam Clendening. At least Chicago played him for a few seasons. Carolina was deep on defense and they already had guys in their system they knew, that's why they tried to sneak Forsling down on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad