What are the chances Spezza, Karlsson, and Anderson get their jersey number retired?

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
None of them, honestly. I think it's a bit crazy that we had Neil and Phillips 'jersey retired, TBH.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It's easy to be loyal when other teams don't really want you like Neil and Phillips.

Neil could have left for more money when he became a free agent. Same thing with Phillips. Let's not be silly.

Neil left at least a million on the table to stay in Ottawa. Multiple big market teams wanted him. This was 15 years ago when the cap was much lower. His 4 year 2M contract in Ottawa would be equivalent to 4 years at about 3M this off season, and that was a "hometown" discount.

Yes, no one wanted them when they were almost 40 (Habs offered Neil a PTO but not a full contract), so neither of them had that awkward one season long-time players have, like Modano in a Red Wings jersey, or Brodeur with the Blues. But it isn't exactly a slight that teams weren't lining up to sign them at that age.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Neil could have left for more money when he became a free agent. Same thing with Phillips. Let's not be silly.

Neil left at least a million on the table to stay in Ottawa. Multiple big market teams wanted him. This was 15 years ago when the cap was much lower. His 4 year 2M contract in Ottawa would be equivalent to 4 years at about 3M this off season, and that was a "hometown" discount.

Yes, no one wanted them when they were almost 40 (Habs offered Neil a PTO but not a full contract), so neither of them had that awkward one season long-time players have, like Modano in a Red Wings jersey, or Brodeur with the Blues. But it isn't exactly a slight that teams weren't lining up to sign them at that age.
Agreed. There's no reason to disparage Neil and Phillips because the organization made a decision to retire their numbers. They were great players in their own right.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Although I think Doughty got petty votes, I do think Letang or Burns would've been fine candidates for the Norris. Each of them were better than Doughty.

The Burns Norris was hilarious, because the early hype was based on him scoring at unprecedented rates for a defenseman, when that argument didn't workout for Karlsson the season before. Karlsson had the greatest offensive output (relative to league scoring placement) since Orr.

The year Burns won, his offensive totals were extremely impressive, but nowhere near as impressive as Karlsson the year before. Karlsson also roughly caught up with his output by the end of the season. Burns cooled off tremendously after a hot start offensively.

It's a shame about the Doughty trophy, because there probably was a season where he did deserve to win it, or at least he wouldn't have been the wrong answer among the multiple players who are usually in the running. His only Norris trophy is going to end up historically with newer fans always asking "How did Karlsson not win the Norris that year?".

Realistically, there should be three trophies for defensemen. Norris for the best overall defenseman, with a consideration for the fact that a modern defenseman's job isn't just "defense" the same way a modern center isn't called an "offenseman". Then a Bobby Orr trophy that goes to the top scoring defenseman, and a Rod Langway trophy going to the best overall purely at the defensive/shutdown aspect of the game.

They also should probably have two votes for trophies. The traditional vote with the Bruce Garrioch's of the world, and a vote with some sort of panel of people who have a background in hockey, whose job it is to watch and understand everything. Most journalists don't fit that category. They usually have a narrow functional orientation when it comes to the sport.

Reactions: bicboi64

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think the league should require the voters for league trophies to reveal their votes. There have been some absolutely disgusting votes cast in the past. There is no need for such secrecy!

Karlsson was robbed of another Norris when the "voters" supported Doughty.
I mean, the league should have a few awards for defenders like they do for forwards. Then you could have 2 or 3 dmen winning awards for offence, defence, etc

No argument here. Rod Langway was probably the last time it went to the best defender.
Barrett Jack man winning the Calder was kind of kindred spirits too.

I think they should have two awards, heck they could name the new offensive D award the EK award!

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
None of them, honestly. I think it's a bit crazy that we had Neil and Phillips 'jersey retired, TBH.
Jersey retirements tend to be about team legacy, not league wide achievements though.

If you’re not allowed to reward your own local heroes because other teams have bigger stars, then how are small market teams ever supposed to have nice things.

We rewarded two warriors the highest honour for their loyalty and commitment to the team and city for over 1000 NHL games. Doesn’t feel like a light honour for either. To Alfie’s credit he eeked into the HOF, but he also didn’t carry the team to any notable historical victories.

We don’t have guys like Gretz and Mess playing for us, never will, maybe we should be able to able to just celebrate our heroes in kind.

I never understood why Ottawa fans always seem to be uncomfortable defending their team and heroes to the rest of the league (not you in particular, just in general) I see no reason why we have to feel bad about they guys we have honoured, just like we don’t have to feel weird about the original team winning cups, helping to found the NHL etc…

I feel like rather than bragging or feeling self conscious, we can just confidently feel that Alfie, Neil, and Philips are guys that showed a level above and beyond in terms of loyalty and dedication to the city and team in Ottawa.

Reactions: OD99

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We haven't had a player before or after Karlsson who had a run with this team where the player was the absolutely top guy in the league in their position and arguably top 5 out of all positions.

Spezza and Yashin both had 1 year like that. Heatley was close for a year or two. Alfredsson is already in.

The level Karlsson dominated at is unprecedented. Part of why it isn't respected as much is because it came right before an era where now it's pedestrian for a defenseman to get 70+ points. Also, the Senators weren't a popular top team. It isn't a coincidence that when we finally went on that run, Karlsson started getting his due as a top player with Crosby and McDavid.

As I said in my previous post, I am of the opinion that we should retire as many as possible to build a culture around the team - but even if you don't agree with that marketing perspective, I think Karlsson is the only player who should be an undisputed show in to have his jersey retired.
I don’t see why we would retire the jersey of a player who played half his career in Ottawa only to leave for more money and opportunity.

That to me is a ring of honour, like Spezza, because retired jerseys aren’t just about numbers and league wide comparisons, it’s about dedication to the team and city.

By the time EK retires, he isn’t going to be synonymous with the Ottawa Senators, he already isn’t. Heck, he had his best statistical year in SJ. You retire numbers of players who are synonymous with your team and city, not guys who are the best players but played elsewhere for much of their career.

EK won individual awards here, and his name will forever be enshrined on the Norris, as is befitting for a player of his calibre. He may also end up in the HHOF based on his career numbers.

Not sure he is a jersey retirement candidate. He wouldn’t be the first amazing player to move around too much to end up with a retired jersey.

Reactions: Laphroaig

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I remember the baseball arguments around which Jersey would a player be retired in the hall of fame with. Seeing Andre Dawson go in as a Cub and Gary Carter as a Met was hard.

If Alfie was to go in the hall of fame and to pick one jersey for posterity, i think he'd choose to go in as a Sen. Would Karlsson? Maybe. I guess Spezza never really found a new home either? That might be my test of whether to retire their sweater in the rafters.

I also remember all the arguments we had about, well Andreychuk make it in the hall of fame. That reasoning will surely see our rafters fill up now.

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
I don’t see why we would retire the jersey of a player who played half his career in Ottawa only to leave for more money and opportunity.

That to me is a ring of honour, like Spezza, because retired jerseys aren’t just about numbers and league wide comparisons, it’s about dedication to the team and city.

By the time EK retires, he isn’t going to be synonymous with the Ottawa Senators, he already isn’t. Heck, he had his best statistical year in SJ. You retire numbers of players who are synonymous with your team and city, not guys who are the best players but played elsewhere for much of their career.

EK won individual awards here, and his name will forever be enshrined on the Norris, as is befitting for a player of his calibre. He may also end up in the HHOF based on his career numbers.

Not sure he is a jersey retirement candidate. He wouldn’t be the first amazing player to move around too much to end up with a retired jersey.
I think you need to look into how many Norris winners are in the HHOF. EK is a lock to make it simply from winning 2 of them with the Senators. Every multiple Norris winner but EK is in the HHOF. Every single one.

9 players, including EK, have won 3 or more Norris trophies. All but EK are in the HHOF. 6 defencemen, including EK, have scored over 100 points in a season. All but EK are in the HHOF.

Except for his remarkable 100 point Norris winning season with San Jose, every other HHOF worthy achievement he has was done during his time with Ottawa.

His number will be retired, probably hot on the heels of a one day contract with the Sens and his subsequent retirement.

And he will make the HHOF, almost certainly on his first year of eligibility.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

This clip reminds me how much players recognized him, even the whiner that is Doughty. Take away Kopitar in a 3on3 situation, Doughty would've got destroyed

Oh man...I miss those days. Karlsson in his prime was a treat to watch. Going to be a long, long time before we see a defenseman like that again.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Agreed. There's no reason to disparage Neil and Phillips because the organization made a decision to retire their numbers. They were great players in their own right.

Yeah, if I was grand poobah, I would've had them in the ring of honor. But, I can see them getting their numbers retired, too. Newish team with a short modern era history, you want to build things up a bit.

But it definitely would look odd to see Phillips up there, and Erik missing. That doesn't make sense at all.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Karlsson could get his number retired if ownership at some point has a need to appease fans, he is still well liked by a lot of fans in this city, while Anderson could get into the ring of honour. I'm surprised they didn't put Roger Neilson into the ring of honour. Spezza is close, but no cigar I think.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Karlsson could get his number retired if ownership at some point has a need to appease fans, he is still well liked by a lot of fans in this city, while Anderson could get into the ring of honour. I'm surprised they didn't put Roger Neilson into the ring of honour. Spezza is close, but no cigar I think.

I didn't think of that. Roger Neilson is a great choice for RoH.

Spezza really is 50/50 between RoH and number retired. Honestly, I would hope no one would complain either way. He had a lot of good years here (even though he always left you wanting more, what he did bring was pretty damned good).

Reactions: aragorn

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think you need to look into how many Norris winners are in the HHOF. EK is a lock to make it simply from winning 2 of them with the Senators. Every multiple Norris winner but EK is in the HHOF. Every single one.

9 players, including EK, have won 3 or more Norris trophies. All but EK are in the HHOF. 6 defencemen, including EK, have scored over 100 points in a season. All but EK are in the HHOF.

Except for his remarkable 100 point Norris winning season with San Jose, every other HHOF worthy achievement he has was done during his time with Ottawa.

His number will be retired, probably hot on the heels of a one day contract with the Sens and his subsequent retirement.

And he will make the HHOF, almost certainly on his first year of eligibility.
Yeah I think you’re right. His talent is undeniable. Andy and Spezz are no brainer for the ROH in my opinion. Just have to wait for the right game day.

Andy retired a sen though so he has a leg up, while Spezza worked and played for the leafs, so that hurts… ;) (seriously though)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I mean, the league should have a few awards for defenders like they do for forwards. Then you could have 2 or 3 dmen winning awards for offence, defence, etc

Barrett Jack man winning the Calder was kind of kindred spirits too.

I think they should have two awards, heck they could name the new offensive D award the EK award!
The voters should be changed too; ink-stained reporters and talking TV bubble heads are not the best judges of anything. :)

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Karlsson was here for a relatively short time, we didn't win anything but we came close - double OT against the Penguins - and he has 2 Norris trophies playing for us, the first two of the franchise.

It's tough retiring jerseys because you don't want to be too eager and then have too many up there but Karlsson deserves some sort of recognition if he wants it.

After that I'm a lot less sold on Spezza or Anderson as jersey retirements. I'm a little more sold on Anderson because of the stability it provided in goal and the runs it helped us make in the playoffs but he wasn't here as long. Spezza was here long but we didn't win a cup with him and he was never the guy in the league our our team for most of his career, he wasn't our captain for a significant period of time and once he became one, he dipped out pretty fast.

Is the Ring of Honor a jersey retirement? Maybe ring of honor Anderson, consider Spezza years down the line.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I’m fine with retiring. #41. It’s an ugly number anyways that nobody wants
I'm fine with recognizing great players by hanging their jerseys with their names and numbers in the rafters; however, the numbers should always be available for current players to wear too.

I also like the idea of placing team and player's pictures in their uniforms around the concourses of the arena.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Whether you like the criteria or not, every modern retirement has seemed to centre on loyalty, tenure and grit. I don't see Karlsson or Spezza in either of those conversations right now. If Karlsson ever finds his way home, that could all change.

Yeah none of them really deserve to have the jersey retired. If Karlsson comes home and plays a few seasons that could change it.

Ring of honor for sure.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
So a team that since the 2007/2008 ranks 4th from the bottom in points (Cumulatively).
Has made the playoffs 5 out of those 17 years. And has a grand total of 3 series wins.
Had a owner who went out of his way to f*** up and antagonize
Has averaged some 16,000 fans over those 17 years. 16,500 if you remove the covid 24 months.
Had an owner who lost some 300 plus million

And we wonder about ceremonies and why retire numbers of marginal stars. HMM, I don't know! Say a marketing ploy to keep the team relevant.

Now, if this mess continues at it is now. And we end being Buffalo (13 years and counting of futility), Pretty much every number between 1 and 98 will have a ceremony and retirement. Pretty much every player who ever played so much as one game will have his night!!

By 2029/2030 the Ottawa Senators players will have numbers that start at 100 and move upwards.

Please make sure you cheer loudly for Matt Murray's induction into the ROH and his jersey retirement night, the following season.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Yeah none of them really deserve to have the jersey retired. If Karlsson comes home and plays a few seasons that could change it.

Ring of honor for sure.
When I think of the Sens in the 2010s, I will always think of Karlsson. He really defined us for almost a decade. I don’t see why he doesn’t deserve a jersey retirement.

In a business of entertainment, he was the most exciting player to watch in our franchise’s history for 10 years. If that’s not worthy of a jersey retirement we should re-evaluate our criteria.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Phillips and Neil having their numbers retired is a joke and was a cash grab by the outgoing ownership IMO. Love those guys, but c'mon. Are we going to retire Zub or Chabot if they stay until retirement?

The only player that should have their number retired is Alfie. Karl is a boss, but only played for 9 seasons and the team didn't have a ton of success while he was here.

Ring of honor should be Karl, Anderson, Spezza, Neil, Phillips, maybe a few others I'm forgetting.

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
When I think of the Sens in the 2010s, I will always think of Karlsson. He really defined us for almost a decade. I don’t see why he doesn’t deserve a jersey retirement.

In a business of entertainment, he was the most exciting player to watch in our franchise’s history for 10 years. If that’s not worthy of a jersey retirement we should re-evaluate our criteria.

Not to mention, by the time he's retired, he's going to be cemented in a top 10 all time list for defensemen. Perhaps even top 5. If that isn't worthy for some sort of recognition here, then I dunno....

Reactions: PlayOn

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Phillips and Neil having their numbers retired is a joke and was a cash grab by the outgoing ownership IMO. Love those guys, but c'mon. Are we going to retire Zub or Chabot if they stay until retirement?

The only player that should have their number retired is Alfie. Karl is a boss, but only played for 9 seasons and the team didn't have a ton of success while he was here.

Ring of honor should be Karl, Anderson, Spezza, Neil, Phillips, maybe a few others I'm forgetting.
That wasn't really his fault though. He mostly played with underfunded budget squads that always had unfillable holes. It was always an uphill battle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad