What are the chances Spezza, Karlsson, and Anderson get their jersey number retired?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So a team that since the 2007/2008 ranks 4th from the bottom in points (Cumulatively).
Has made the playoffs 5 out of those 17 years. And has a grand total of 3 series wins.
Had a owner who went out of his way to f*** up and antagonize
Has averaged some 16,000 fans over those 17 years. 16,500 if you remove the covid 24 months.
Had an owner who lost some 300 plus million

And we wonder about ceremonies and why retire numbers of marginal stars. HMM, I don't know! Say a marketing ploy to keep the team relevant.

Now, if this mess continues at it is now. And we end being Buffalo (13 years and counting of futility), Pretty much every number between 1 and 98 will have a ceremony and retirement. Pretty much every player who ever played so much as one game will have his night!!

By 2029/2030 the Ottawa Senators players will have numbers that start at 100 and move upwards.

Please make sure you cheer loudly for Matt Murray's induction into the ROH and his jersey retirement night, the following season.
So who did you pick for ROH or rafters or nothing. It wasn’t clear in your post.

Phillips and Neil having their numbers retired is a joke and was a cash grab by the outgoing ownership IMO. Love those guys, but c'mon. Are we going to retire Zub or Chabot if they stay until retirement?

The only player that should have their number retired is Alfie. Karl is a boss, but only played for 9 seasons and the team didn't have a ton of success while he was here.

Ring of honor should be Karl, Anderson, Spezza, Neil, Phillips, maybe a few others I'm forgetting.
I agree those 2 should be ROH, but I don’t get the cash grab part in retiring a jersey.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Alfie would agree, the Calder isn’t at the same level, as would most.
He would agree. I'm still not looking Alfie in the eye and saying. "You know that's not really an award right?" Lol. You do it. I dare ya. Double dare!

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You don't retire the number of an average goalie. He was no better than Lalime.

Karlsson for sure. Spezza ring of honor.

Spezza is the reason Alfie got his number retired.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
So who did you pick for ROH or rafters or nothing. It wasn’t clear in your post.
---
in this team's 30 year history. There has been;
1 Calder winner and he is now a HOFer
2 time Norris winner.. Won a 3rd, but elsewhere and was only here 9 years. But, given that the league is 32 teams and close to 800 players. A 2 time Norris winner is very special and his 9 years are Cam Nealy like. Short, but damn sweet.

There should have only been 1 ROH as of now. Alfredsson
And a future ROH in Karlsson.

Alfredson should have been honoured exactly 5 years after his retirement (Circa 2020)
Karlsson should be honoured 5 years after his, which is in the 2032 -2034 zone.

No one else.. RING OF HONOUR. Honour, not the good guy honour. Or the popular with the fans honour.

And jersey retirement????That is for the over the top guys. That is your Gretzky, Lemieux, Orrs, Howes, Bourque, Lindstrom and so on. This franchise has yet to have one of these guys.

What happens if a true star arrives, wins awards and a cup(s)? You put him next to Spezza. No awards, no cups.

Go to Carleton University. Go the gym where the Ravens play basketball. Usports champs banners only. Go to the Molson center, Stanly cup banners only.

There is a better way to get 19,000 into your building and to get 1.2 million talking about you. It is called winning.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
in this team's 30 year history. There has been;
1 Calder winner and he is now a HOFer
2 time Norris winner.. Won a 3rd, but elsewhere and was only here 9 years. But, given that the league is 32 teams and close to 800 players. A 2 time Norris winner is very special and his 9 years are Cam Nealy like. Short, but damn sweet.

There should have only been 1 ROH as of now. Alfredsson
And a future ROH in Karlsson.

Alfredson should have been honoured exactly 5 years after his retirement (Circa 2020)
Karlsson should be honoured 5 years after his, which is in the 2032 -2034 zone.

No one else.. RING OF HONOUR. Honour, not the good guy honour. Or the popular with the fans honour.

And jersey retirement????That is for the over the top guys. That is your Gretzky, Lemieux, Orrs, Howes, Bourque, Lindstrom and so on. This franchise has yet to have one of these guys.

What happens if a true star arrives, wins awards and a cup(s)? You put him next to Spezza. No awards, no cups.

Go to Carleton University. Go the gym where the Ravens play basketball. Usports champs banners only. Go to the Molson center, Stanly cup banners only.

There is a better way to get 19,000 into your building and to get 1.2 million talking about you. It is called winning.
Lots of clubs have retired jerseys for non-over the top guys, just to name a few,

St. Louis, Lecavalier, Wendel Clark, Adam Foote, Brind'Amour, Naslund, Gartner, Daneko, Dale Hunter, Mike Vernon, Trevor Lindon, Adam Graves, Glen Wesley,

Also, Mtl has a ring of honour for players and builders located around the upper deck.

Pearault has a bing and Calder, no SC, Jersey retired in Buffalo.
Rene Robert has nothing, Jersey retired, (because he was part of the french connection?)
Rick Martin, nothing, Jersey retired

Ring of honour is about your contribution to the team's history imo. I think guys like Phillips and Neil, perhaps Spezza as well, are important to this teams history. Alfredsson and Karlsson are or will be surefire hall of fame players, that imo gets you into the conversation for a retired number,

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Lots of clubs have retired jerseys for non-over the top guys, just to name a few,

St. Louis, Lecavalier, Wendel Clark, Adam Foote, Brind'Amour, Naslund, Gartner, Daneko, Dale Hunter, Mike Vernon, Trevor Lindon, Adam Graves, Glen Wesley,

Also, Mtl has a ring of honour for players and builders located around the upper deck.

Pearault has a bing and Calder, no SC, Jersey retired in Buffalo.
Rene Robert has nothing, Jersey retired, (because he was part of the french connection?)
Rick Martin, nothing, Jersey retired

Ring of honour is about your contribution to the team's history imo. I think guys like Phillips and Neil, perhaps Spezza as well, are important to this teams history. Alfredsson and Karlsson are or will be surefire hall of fame players, that imo gets you into the conversation for a retired number,
Buffalo.. No cup yet, only 2 finals. Would starve to death if Canadians from the Niagara area did not flow over (no pun). No team shits in its pants more, when there is talk of a second team in the GTA, than Buffalo.

Teams start honouring and having special nights when: they have 19,000 seats to sell and X amount of millions to invigorate.

There is this department that every organization has (Sports of non sports). They call it Sales and Marketing. They are there to make sure you sell. Make sure you are relevant.

So how do we get the masses invigorated?
1) you are Boston, NYR, and 2-3 other teams. You win. Sales and Marketing gets you back in the SS (from Coca-Cola Man (James Cagney movie).. SS is for small salary).
2) you are not wining, Sales and Marketing work overtime. Every stunt in the book. Every promotion/ idea.

So tragically, we get Rings of Honour, Jersey retirement and other. Based more on 19,000 asses in your arena and not true merit.
Come this November, if the Sens are 6-9, their season is pretty much over! The shine on Michael A has worn off. The Euphoria of a sold team is gone. Everyone's favorite whipping boy Dorion is one year in the rear view mirror. The Kids are alright, are now middle aged men (hockey wise). The CTC will struggle to get the 19,000 asses. Social media will be overwhelmed by "those pesky incompetent Sens". Something will be needed.
So you throw out a good old, tug at the heart strings. A ring of Honour, a jersey retirement. And for 2 weeks, there is peace and while not 19,000 but 17,500 fans!!! The guy does a tour of media outlets. Interviews, were he tries and motivate the fans and all is well! 2 weeks later, it is Pride day, then Inclusion day, then Hockey for Everyone day, then Hockey Fights cancer, Armed Forces day, Betty Rubble is sexier than Wilma Flintstone day, and so on. 41 dates, you slap on 10-12 special days.. Now a 36-40-6 record, still means 16,000 plus fans.
Numbers 1-98 (99, Gretzky is already off the books).. so, tugging at heart strings is good for a while.
Hey Mick, do you figure, they are planning something special if they miss for 8 years. Now imagine if Buffalo makes it and Detroit. We would become #1. You think it would be over the top if we held a parade? Nothing too big. Say a parade from Parliament, down Elgin, cross onto Bank, down to the 401. 90-95 KM max. In very early May, Tulips everywhere. HUH !!!! Do we shout "we're no. 1", or Do we Shout "eight is great"?

Did you hear TaraSENko has Sen in it, HUH!!!! No honestly, I just heard it.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
EK65 should 100% get it. I'm biased towards Andy since the Sens have been such a cursed franchise with goaltending and he was so good for us for so long.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
EK65 should 100% get it. I'm biased towards Andy since the Sens have been such a cursed franchise with goaltending and he was so good for us for so long.
I think Andy is primed for ROH. He even came back for a one day contract to retire a Sen. best goalie in franchise history, and one of the all time greats in the post season.

I’m biased too, I love Andy! He is responsible for a few of the absolute best Sens moments.

Reactions: Kamina

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Does the number itslef matter to you at all?

For example... if you're a slight yes or on the fence about Karlsson.. would it matter if he wore a popular number like 19 instead of 65?

Just curious, because I know it shouldnt matter, but I think it kinda does in some cases.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad