Movies: What are the Biggest Oscar Snubs Ever?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DyerMaker66*

For starters, thinking it's just a Facebook movie is very short-sighted as Facebook is just a backdrop for a much more thematically rich film. I personally hold The Social Network in extremely high regard. Everything from the acting to the writing to the direction I think is absolutely marvelous.

But I don't care about Zuckerberg or Facebook or how integrated it is into my life. I'd say the same about any Social Media. It's as about relevant to me as talking to randos on PSN, a fun waste of time that I occasionally use to talk to people I know.

Could not care less about that story. It's not important to me in any way.

I generally don't care about the acting when the story is irrelevant to me.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Social Network isn't praised because the inception of Facebook is a culturally important thing that is fascinating to learn about and we have an obligation to care about Facebook or something-- I assure you, most of us couldn't give a flying **** about that. It's interesting because it takes this superficial, typically uninteresting biopic premise, that would normally be completely bland, shallow, and pointless, and instead uses it to analyze certain themes and attitudes that are prevalent and relevant to our times. Debateable how successful or thought-provoking its attempt to do that is, but treating it as that Facebook movie is really missing the point of it, IMO. If it was just a movie about Facebook and how it came to be, nobody would care about it regardless of how technically well crafted it is.

The fact that Facebook is a part of the story is just an incidental thing that has no meaningful bearing on the actual thrust of the film. You could have replaced it with any other product and it would have worked.

Last edited:

member 51464

What are the themes and attitudes prevalent and relevant to our times that are analyzed in it?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What are the themes and attitudes prevalent and relevant to our times that are analyzed in it?

I don't have the movie fresh in my mind, and as mentioned, I'm not its biggest fan, but in broad strokes, the movie is clearly less about the inception of Facebook and more about cynical ideas involving self-interest/ambition, creating identity through strategic social positioning, disingenuous relationships, social disconnect/non-empathy and the kinds of annoying attitudes that social media has played a hand in fostering (while ironically purporting to do the opposite). I don't think they try to make this very subtle. I mean, just look at that final scene.

If anything, it's closer to being a movie aimed at people who dislike social media rather than people who like it, so the whole 'Facebook movie' thing is really only taking it at face value in the worst way. It's almost like someone saying they're not interested in watching American Psycho because they don't like yuppies.

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
But I don't care about Zuckerberg or Facebook or how integrated it is into my life. I'd say the same about any Social Media. It's as about relevant to me as talking to randos on PSN, a fun waste of time that I occasionally use to talk to people I know.

Could not care less about that story. It's not important to me in any way.

I generally don't care about the acting when the story is irrelevant to me.

That's a strange approach to movies. How relevant to your life is something like The Godfather? Can you still find a way to enjoy it if you weren't a mobster in New York in the 50's?

DyerMaker66*

I don't think you can honestly say that. Facebook affects everyone, whether you want to admit that or not.

I fully admit I am impacted by Facebook. I am not impacted in the slightest by The Facebook Movie.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Unless you're really good at distancing yourself from and not having an impression of the people around you, it affects everyone. If you've ever had a reaction to someone taking a picture of their food or taking a selfie, or staring at their phone as they're walking around, even if Facebook isn't necessarily the originator of it, it probably plays a large part in it being so common. It affects you by affecting the people around you.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
-hears sound reasoning why calling it The Facebook Movie is silly-
-resumes calling it The Facebook Movie-

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Who, me? I'm just criticizing the notion that someone thinks they can somehow get away from its effects, not relating it to the movie.

The movie does have some themes that relate to the effects of social media, but I would consider them tertiary themes/connectors.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Absolutely. We all know someonr that uses it and a lot of businesses use Facebook now as well. It may not change your life or whatever...but it still affects you, somewhat at least

I don't know about that. I'm a millennial who doesn't use Facebook and I'm not sure how it affects me. I know people who use heroin doesn't mean it affects me.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
No. You're the sound reasoning. :P

I personally don't believe it was a big Oscar Snub. The King's Speech was a superior film. It won in the category it had a chance, best adapted screenplay but True Grit was pretty darn good as well and could have a case for being snubbed in that category.

DyerMaker66*

-hears sound reasoning why calling it The Facebook Movie is silly-
-resumes calling it The Facebook Movie-

That's literally what it is. It's not silly at all. It's about the creation of Facebook and it's creator.

"But they talked about some other things too!" :sarcasm:

DyerMaker66*

^ If the majority of people you knew did heroin, it would affect you.
The majority of people I know like music I hate. That doesn't mean I want to sit through a 2 hour movie about it.

Not at all. What some idiots do with their time away from me doesn't affect me at all.

I know people who are on Instagram every day, it still doesn't change my life in a way that I care.

DyerMaker66*

Unless you're really good at distancing yourself from and not having an impression of the people around you, it affects everyone. If you've ever had a reaction to someone taking a picture of their food or taking a selfie, or staring at their phone as they're walking around, even if Facebook isn't necessarily the originator of it, it probably plays a large part in it being so common. It affects you by affecting the people around you.
I haven't. People can do what they want. I couldn't care less if you stare at your phone. I do it to keep the Downtown Dirties from talking to me.

What's the difference between staring at your phone and staring at a Game Boy or a Walkman or even a Magazine? Would you look at those people and make automatic assumptions? I know I don't, because that's absurd.

"Look at those people taking a picture of their food and posting it 'on the line'" - words never uttered by me

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad