What’s the team need?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Beside the obvious like McD, Makar….

Who should the team target this off season.
Free agents only as we don’t know who is available via trade.

As of now, there are 5 spots open in the top 12.
1 spot open in the top 6

Also put in who to trade out but not who can get in a trade bc we just don’t know.

At the end, put in the type of players needing coming back from a trade, can name preferred players.

My list:

Resign- ROR, Acciari, Schenn, Kampf, Sammy
Sign- Brown and Bertuzzi

Trade- TJ, Murray, JT

Need still a heavier Dman to replace TJ, a heavier winger to replace JT.

JT Miller and Tanev.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Leafs have .. 17 unsigned players coming up. They can do whatever they want.

I think moving 40 million dollars of cap space would do wonders. Tavares and Marner for younger cheaper hungrier talent We are going to lose points but gain wins in the play offs.

Keep Matthews, keep Nylander, Reilly, Oreilley, Accari, Schenn, Knies, Sammy, and Woll.

That’s 9/17

Use 40 million dollars to fill 8 spots. I think that is a huge opportunity right now to build the team we want with impact players.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Team need is cap space first and foremost, you need to add some physical guys up front who have some puck skills, can hound the puck and come in at 210+ plus and dont mind using the boards on the forecheck, and the 28 yr old versions of Luke and Gio

Caveat* I dont care necessarily where the space comes from, but I do have a preference.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
They need to get rid of the charmain ultra soft Marner and Matthews (Assuming he doesn’t resign by Canada day)

I was watching the Oilers Knights and right now the Kraken and Stars game. And my god, the intensity, give a shit and compete level from all 4 of those teams is so far ahead of the Leafs that it’s not even funny.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The biggest single thing is a new coach. A coach can only succeed with a lineup that plays his style and who buy fully into his game. Its the coaches job to get the most out of the lineup he is given but the closer to his game the players are naturally at, the better the fit. It isn't just a question of talent and coaching ability. New coach, new chance to get everyone on the same page.

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
They need to get rid of the charmain ultra soft Marner and Matthews (Assuming he doesn’t resign by Canada day)

I was watching the Oilers Knights and right now the Kraken and Stars game. And my god, the intensity, give a shit and compete level from all 4 of those teams is so far ahead of the Leafs that it’s not even funny.
Watching the all out effort is night and day imo from what the Leafs gave in the team sense. I don't think the coach matters, these guys are who they are.

If the org wants to run back the core with a new coach, go for it, but to expect a different result is a fools game imo. Contracts are in place and they may want to have them run their course... But if they lose any of these players for nothing that is an absolute disaster.

The possession style they currently play fits with this core... I am not sure they would be more successful in a different system, but it's worth a try, obviously.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why not try to put two power forwards around Auston Matthews and recreate the 2024 version of a Legion of Doom Line? Matthews is a bit of a chameleon in the sense that he can be a power forward, a defensively conscious forward, a skilled based finesse sniper, etc.

In the playoffs, I think Matthews and Marner reinforce the weaker aspects of their mid pacing finesse game. Maybe we need two 6'4" beasts who can be wrecking balls and create space for Matthews to operate.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Team need is cap space first and foremost, you need to add some physical guys up front who have some puck skills, can hound the puck and come in at 210+ plus and dont mind using the boards on the forecheck, and the 28 yr old versions of Luke and Gio

Caveat* I dont care necessarily where the space comes from, but I do have a preference.
This!! So much this!!

Cap space is what we need I dont care who in the "core" gets moved but sweet baby Jesus we need cap space. No more trading contract for contract and signing guys to just above league minimum deals.

We need guys with heart, more Acciari's please but with some more skill. No more guys that coast and take shifts off.

I hope to god we wont have to take on some of that money to move these guys but probably the only way to go about doing it.

I dont see us moving Tavares i know the past couple days, guys saying "he'll waive and be thankful he doesnt want to play where hes not wanted. I doubt Tavares gives a shit what a couple guys/girls think on HF or post game shows and chat boards think of him and and wanting him gone.

Mr Papagoergyo

Feb 17, 2019
More players willing to play playoff hockey, puck battles, forecheck, willingness to hit/ take a hit, consistent effort to drive play. Alot of this was missing.

ROR, Knies type players not always flashy but in the right places to make plays. Guys you can move around the lineup to find a miss match.

Coach with experience would be nice.

Reactions: Cleetus

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Leafs shouldn’t bother doing anything. The refs, league, Boy Scouts of America, Jehovah Witnesses and most chartered accountants are against them, and never let them win, Right?

Reactions: Cleetus

horner

May 22, 2007
We have proven we aren't tough enough.
Trade
Marner 2 mil retained
maybe JT follows him 5 mil retained
1st 2023 + 1st 2024 + 2nd 2023 top prospect
Jamcrok
Brodie has lost a step

mathews 13 mil no more
nylander 9.5 mil no more

Sign
Schenn 2 mil
Gudas 3 mil
Soucy 3 mil
Hathaway 1.5 mil
Accuri 1.4 mil
ORielly 5.5 mil
Kampf 2 mil
Bertuzzi 4.5 mil
Killorn 4.5 mil

Trade for
Trent Fredrick RW 31 pts RFA 2 mil
Boston won't be able to sign him no cap space

Now we have a team built for a playoff war

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Why not try to put two power forwards around Auston Matthews and recreate the 2024 version of a Legion of Doom Line? Matthews is a bit of a chameleon in the sense that he can be a power forward, a defensively conscious forward, a skilled based finesse sniper, etc.

In the playoffs, I think Matthews and Marner reinforce the weaker aspects of their mid pacing finesse game. Maybe we need two 6'4" beasts who can be wrecking balls and create space for Matthews to operate.
I love the Legion of Doom idea, imagine Wilson and Mantha with AM. Just need JT to go the other way.

I am starting to think that having MM with AM has more to do with letting MM relax instead of playing timid and scare due to the pressure. Since MM can rely on AM.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A top six forward (winger)
A couple of bottom six forwards (maybe a winger and a centre?)
A 2nd or 3rd pairing d-man to separate the McCabe-Brodie pairing

Re-sign Samsonov, Schenn and Acciari

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I think the most important thing right now is cap space. This team whoever is running it needs to find a way to get some breathing room. I’m not sure how they do it but putting 40 million dollars in 4 forwards isn’t working. They need to get rid of a few contracts, they need some cheap young kids to flourish. As much as we drag on about veteran leadership, getting veteran leadership comes at a cost. It would be best if our supposed leaders would lead and we are able to use some of our kids on the cheap but we can’t do that.

so since we can’t rely on leadership here, we gotta make moves of our own to create our own cap space

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad