Were You Guys Upset With The Way Robinson And Carbonneau Left ?

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
There's been things said and written over the years about the way both of them left as players......

This is a quote from the Gazette in 1994

'''''''The Canadiens have rarely allowed their veteran players to age gracefully. Guy Carbonneau personally discovered that yesterday.'''''''''''

My question is do you guys think it was just the Habs doing the right thing because that's how you have to handle players that are aging ?

Last edited:

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Idk I’m too young.

Now Markov leaving, there’s a tragedy. I’m wondering if maybe the guy was a weirdo or something, I mean I really can’t wrap my head around why the team did him like that. I know people will say it’s because Bergevin is a prick but really it’s hard to know what was really going on there.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
There's a youtube video of Big Bird's return to Montreal when he was with the Kings and it was speculated in the comments section that he left on bad terms , and that there was no big welcome home ovation.....Larry didn't sound angry at all towards the Habs in the excerpt of his book that i read.....

With Carbs the incident on the Golf Course and his comments about Patrick were brought up in the article i read......

Last edited:

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Idk I’m too young.

Now Markov leaving, there’s a tragedy. I’m wondering if maybe the guy was a weirdo or something, I mean I really can’t wrap my head around why the team did him like that. I know people will say it’s because Bergevin is a prick but really it’s hard to know what was really going on there.

Loved Markov...Really wanted him and Radulov to stay that summer.....

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Jimmy Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Absolutely killed me when Robinson was basically given away. He was the best all around defenseman that I ever saw, he could literally play the game anyway that you wanted and dominate. Hit, skate, defend, fight, score, the Big Bird was the full meal deal. He and Gainey were the link between those great Habs teams to the modern era of very solid Habs teams in the late 80s and early 90s. Should never have worn any other NHL jersey other than the CH.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I cried when Robinson left, but it didn't seem acrimonious. He legitimately was a free agent.

You have to remember free agents barely existed at one point. NHL players have been lowering the age since the early 90s. During Robinson's tenure with Montreal it really didn't exist.

But, he was 38 and no longer contractually obligated to Montreal.

Montreal at the time had Eric Desjardins, Mathieu Schneider, Lyle Odelein, Petr Svoboda, Chris Chelios, Jyrki Lumme, and Patrice Brisebois either on the team or in their system.

They also had veterans like Rick Green and Craig Ludwig.

Montreal wanted to give an opportunity to their young D and Robinson wanted to play a couple more years, which he did in L.A.

I mean Schneider almost made the team right after being drafted. He and Desjardins both got larger roles after Robinson left.

It was mutual. As far as I can remember, he got a standing ovation on his first shift of his return.

You didn't have video billboards, so teams didn't do the welcome back video thing. It was up to the fans to do it. And they did. I think the refs even stopped play to allow it to be acknowledged until Robinson got embarrassed and told them to play on.

Carbonneau trade was dumb. He flipped off the press! I guarantee you they deserved it. But, Corey was such a putz.

Went on to win a Stanley Cup with Dallas and his daughter ended up marrying Brendan Morrow, so it worked out fine for Carbo.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I cried when Robinson left, but it didn't seem acrimonious. He legitimately was a free agent.

You have to remember free agents barely existed at one point. NHL players have been lowering the age since the early 90s. During Robinson's tenure with Montreal it really didn't exist.

But, he was 38 and no longer contractually obligated to Montreal.

Montreal at the time had Eric Desjardins, Mathieu Schneider, Lyle Odelein, Petr Svoboda, Chris Chelios, Jyrki Lumme, and Patrice Brisebois either on the team or in their system.

They also had veterans like Rick Green and Craig Ludwig.

Montreal wanted to give an opportunity to their young D and Robinson wanted to play a couple more years, which he did in L.A.

I mean Schneider almost made the team right after being drafted. He and Desjardins both got larger roles after Robinson left.

It was mutual. As far as I can remember, he got a standing ovation on his first shift of his return.

You didn't have video billboards, so teams didn't do the welcome back video thing. It was up to the fans to do it. And they did. I think the refs even stopped play to allow it to be acknowledged until Robinson got embarrassed and told them to play on.

Carbonneau trade was dumb. He flipped off the press! I guarantee you they deserved it. But, Corey was such a putz.

Went on to win a Stanley Cup with Dallas and his daughter ended up marrying Brendan Morrow, so it worked out fine for Carbo.

McNall offered $400,000 a year and at that time it was seen as a very expensive contract, especially for someone that age......Seems like Larry was being sincere in his book and the youtube stuff was just speculation.....

Interesting fact for anyone that doesn't know, Carbonneau was traded for Jim Montgomery who just recently coached the Stars.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
We could have won a few more cups without the purge in the mid 90’s. If you have not noticed?

Reactions: Gjman2019

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I was too young to know much about Robinson leaving, but I will say that the habs had insane depth on defense at the time.

It was probably time.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
There's been things said and written over the years about the way both of them left as players......

'''''''The Canadiens have rarely allowed their veteran players to age gracefully. Guy Carbonneau personally discovered that yesterday.'''''''''''

My question is do you guys think it was just the Habs doing the right thing because that's how you have to handle players that are aging ?
There is a ton of truth to this.................the organization sucks as players age.....absolutely sucks....a ton of guys have been shown the door, and have been treated terribly....most recently Markov.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I was pretty young but I remember my dad was not happy when they traded Carbo.

The one I’m still upset with is Koivu, he should have retired a hab

Yeah Saku sure was one of the biggest fan favorites i ever saw as far as the fans go.....

To top it off, the Habs gave Saku's #11 to Scott Gomez right away.

I'm not saying it should be retired but it shouldn't have been worn for a long time. Even Gallagher wearing 11 today bothers me.

Saku Koivu: my least favorite Hab. Gainey went out of his way to get rid of him, and I for one am happy Koivu was finally sent packing.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It is pretty sad that outside of a few exceptions, it tends to get pretty ugly on the way out with a lot of our top players. I can think of quite a few more over the years (Damphousse, Turgeon, Roy, Brisebois, Pacioretty, etc.). It usually gets smoothed out after a few years , but they all went through a '' we hate you now, we want you out'' phase with the fanbase/media before they left.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Saku Koivu: my least favorite Hab. Gainey went out of his way to get rid of him, and I for one am happy Koivu was finally sent packing.
whatthef***.gif

...how in the bloody Hades could you hate Saku??...guy bled Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge and was the Heart & Soul of some ridiculously terribly mismanaged teams...should have retired a Hab and, imo, had his jersey raised to the rafters...thank Jebus it's Gallagher that has his number now, as at least it's someone else who played like Saku did, with his heart on his sleeve...

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Idk I’m too young.

Not meaning to shit on your "Holy" parade but Andei did dance to the beat of his own drum.
giphy.gif

Reactions: cphabs

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
...how in the bloody Hades could you hate Saku??...guy bled Bleu, Blanc, et Rouge and was the Heart & Soul of some ridiculously terribly mismanaged teams...should have retired a Hab and, imo, had his jersey raised to the rafters...thank Jebus it's Gallagher that has his number now, as at least it's someone else who played like Saku did, with his heart on his sleeve...
Retire his jersey for what? Losing?

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
View attachment 452395

Again, another birth certificate from Finland. Born in Gatineau he would be a legend of epic proportion. The shit here never ends lol.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Thought you meant when Carbonneau came back as a Coach and Gainey canned him in his 3rd season. We also overlooked Robinson for an Assistant Coach multiple times.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

I don't remember being too upset. Carbonneau it was a bit awkward - they were in a rush to get rid of him.

It's too bad they didn't keep Robinson in the organization though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad