Were You Guys Upset With The Way Robinson And Carbonneau Left ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Trading Chelios for Savard back then would be comparable to trading Sergachev for Joanathan Drouin today, that kid already has 2 cups and might go on to anchor that D core for many years to come. Cooper calls him a mix of McDonagh and Hedman, another very bad trade done for the wrong reasons.
Not at all comparable IMO. Chelios had already won a Norris trophy and a Stanley Cup when he was traded to Chicago, and Savard was nearing retirement. Plus Chelios as mentioned was being traded largely because of off-ice issues.

Drouin and Sergachev were both young with Drouin being 3 years older I think. Drouin for Sergachev was like a lower end Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen.

Reactions: barbu

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
I don’t remember Brisebois ever being thought of as a top D, though he wasn’t as bad as he was made out to be. Definite defence and effort issues, but he gad talent.
His apparent or perceived (more often) lack of effort, combine with a $4M/year contract made him an easy target.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Not at all comparable IMO. Chelios had already won a Norris trophy and a Stanley Cup when he was traded to Chicago, and Savard was nearing retirement. Plus Chelios as mentioned was being traded largely because of off-ice issues.

Drouin and Sergachev were both young with Drouin being 3 years older I think. Drouin for Sergachev was like a lower end Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen.

Yeah Sergechev is a good player, but I think his ceiling is as a mid to lower end #1 dman in this league.

You can't compare him to Chelios who was bonafide elite dman for years.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Yeah Sergechev is a good player, but I think his ceiling is as a mid to lower end #1 dman in this league.

You can't compare him to Chelios who was bonafide elite dman for years.
Regardless where they end up, Sergachev had barely played when the Habs traded him. Chelios had already won a Norris trophy. That's a gigantic difference.

As for Sergachev's upside, he always reminds me of Andrej Meszaros.

MaynardJames

Jul 6, 2007
Quebec
I witness the last couple years of Lafleur and Shutt era and it was a pain, in 83-84 they had a bad year. Bobby Smith came as a saviour and clicked with Naslund and it was all about them. People were so mean to Lafleur and push him out the next year. I don't remember 1 payer leaving on a good note since the Ronald Corey era.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Idk I’m too young.

Now Markov leaving, there’s a tragedy. I’m wondering if maybe the guy was a weirdo or something, I mean I really can’t wrap my head around why the team did him like that. I know people will say it’s because Bergevin is a prick but really it’s hard to know what was really going on there.
In the plane after a defeat in play-offs vs rangers Markov, Radu and Emelin were playing backgammon and having fun, even laughting, so Bergevin reacted and was angry. So they had to part after that incident. Like when Brad Pitt stop a party after a lost game in the dressing room in Money Ball. But it was Bergevin paying Pitt role, lol. That's the needle of the problem between them.

But maybe some things happened off ice too. Lot of things related to hockey players remain confidential, Habs have a team to shut down mess, they have the best lawyers.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
His apparent or perceived (more often) lack of effort, combine with a $4M/year contract made him an easy target.
Did not help that his career was a yo-you one with a good and a bad then a good season. Add the whole skiing incident which seemed to be a thing for Habs dmen at the time as Malakhov had the same issue a few years before Brisebois lol

Reactions: Corson27

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I witness the last couple years of Lafleur and Shutt era and it was a pain, in 83-84 they had a bad year. Bobby Smith came as a saviour and clicked with Naslund and it was all about them. People were so mean to Lafleur and push him out the next year. I don't remember 1 payer leaving on a good note since the Ronald Corey era.

Not what I remember. Lafleur was pushed out because he couldn't play under Lemaire' system. In fact he was not pushed out at all, Lafleur decided to retire in disgust over that trap system.

Reactions: BLONG7

MaynardJames

Jul 6, 2007
Quebec
Not what I remember. Lafleur was pushed out because he couldn't play under Lemaire' system. In fact he was not pushed out at all, Lafleur decided to retire in disgust over that trap system.

They is the team, represent by Lemaire who could have work around Lafleur who was more than capable still. It seems we say the same thing with different words. Lafleur deserved a better ending. The guy is a Legend. He produced 3 years later when he came back. So THEY made him lost 4 years of his career which could have been like 300pts and made him one of the all time best right after Howe. They should of trade him instead of trying to change his game for a former teammate who pissed him off to retirement.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
They is the team, represent by Lemaire who could have work around Lafleur who was more than capable still. It seems we say the same thing with different words. Lafleur deserved a better ending. The guy is a Legend. He produced 3 years later when he came back. So THEY made him lost 4 years of his career which could have been like 300pts and made him one of the all time best right after Howe. They should of trade him instead of trying to change his game for a former teammate who pissed him off to retirement.
I too, was not a fan of the way Lemaire treated Guy at the end in Montreal, and I think fans were just amazed that it actually happened.
Sad, that Lafleur ended it.....but make no bones, it was on Lemaire, and always has been. Then Lemaire couldn't stand the heat in the kitchen and left, pretty quickly. Vowing to never go back to Montreal, and he didn't. Sad, and crazy to think this happened to a couple of Montreal greats...

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I too, was not a fan of the way Lemaire treated Guy at the end in Montreal, and I think fans were just amazed that it actually happened.
Sad, that Lafleur ended it.....but make no bones, it was on Lemaire, and always has been. Then Lemaire couldn't stand the heat in the kitchen and left, pretty quickly. Vowing to never go back to Montreal, and he didn't. Sad, and crazy to think this happened to a couple of Montreal greats...

Wasn't Lemaire in the organization in 1993 ?

Maybe i'm off when it comes to the timeline...

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Nope...........New Jersey...

According to wikipedia his first year as coach in NJ was 93-94.....

Are you sure he wasn't in the Montreal organization in some capacity in the 92-93 season when they won the cup ?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
According to wikipedia his first year as coach in NJ was 93-94.....

Are you sure he wasn't in the Montreal organization in some capacity in the 92-93 season when they won the cup ?
I am thinking no............but that being said, would not bet on it.....will check and see if I can find anything...
Update...........wikpedia says he was an Asst GM with the Habs in 93........my mistake....
Add another ring to # 25 Jacques Lemaire....
Still sad that Lafleur left because of their sour coach/player relationship.

Reactions: Gjman2019

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I am thinking no............but that being said, would not bet on it.....will check and see if I can find anything...
Update...........wikpedia says he was an Asst GM with the Habs in 93........my mistake....
Add another ring to # 25 Jacques Lemaire....
Still sad that Lafleur left because of their sour coach/player relationship.

Thanks Bud...

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad