Post-Game Talk: We're Number 6 - Jets win 4-3 SO

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
How is it a negative spin? The line looked great in a bunch of games that happened after we'd already been eliminated from play-off contention. They need to look that way in games that occur before we're eliminated from play-off contention. That's not negative. It's reality.

It sure sounds negative. You made it sound like there was no way they would be as effective next season. I hope they actually become even more effective.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
EDIT: ^^^ I think that could definitely be possible Aavco with Little coming back. Will certainly take some pressure off of Schief and I think he'll look even better defensively with potentially more favorable match ups.

The sentence "the line looked great in a bunch of meaningless games after being eliminated" is pretty much the definition of a negative spin. Even though it's not an incorrect statement.

I think people need to quit worrying so much either way. It's a good sign that they're playing well but I think keeping our expectations in check is important.

Last edited:

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
How is it a negative spin? The line looked great in a bunch of games that happened after we'd already been eliminated from play-off contention. They need to look that way in games that occur before we're eliminated from play-off contention. That's not negative. It's reality.

The line was only put together after the season was already lost. Scheifele has been continuing down his development path and for him and the team this was a very encouraging step. Ehlers is only in his first year of pro hockey and he looks like an emerging star. And then you have have Wheeler and he continues to play well and looks like a great fit with the other two guys. Over the time the line was together they were the dominant line on the ice in most of those games.

Yes we still have to see how this all will translate into next year but there is certainly plenty of reason to look forward to how this line performs next year. I also do not buy into the view that just because these games were not meaningful games for making the playoffs that it significantly diminishes what the line achieved over the time they were together late in the season.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

I think your point was very fair and reasonable, certainly not negative. I think they will be ok next year, albeit I would like to see Mark improve his face offs.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
The other result of this win streak, besides not getting as good a draft pick (likely), is that Chevy/ PMo will think that fewer changes have to be made in the off season. He will stick with this group and feel less expected to sign a Free Agent LH defenseman. OR fire a special teams coach.

:shakehead

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I seem to recall the line playing some games earlier in the season...am I wrong? I could have sworn they were together as a line for some games at a couple points earlier on.

Again, I'm not saying they won't be good next year. I'm just saying we can't really take too much away from these games because for us, they were garbage time wins. I think it's really a "thing" that teams play differently when the pressure is off.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
This win was most unfortunate. Doubles our chances of picking outside the top 6 which is where I personally have a small cliff in the draft talent.

1) Matthews
2) Laine
3) PLD
4) Pulju
5) Chychrun
6) Tkachuk
7) Clusterfluck

Odds of picking 7+ if 5th last = 28.2%
Odds of picking 7+ if 6th last = 58.9%

To the people spewing the false narrative that "it's only a percent or two difference", I'm not sure you understand the process or the math.

And yes, everyone's list will be different (including Chevy's), but the point is that it's not irrational to be a fan of the Jets and be disappointed that we scored one more shootout goal than LA in game 82 of a meaningless season. Regardless of your personal list, there's a drop off somewhere in the top 10 and the odds that we fall after that drop off are much higher for having won last night.

All that aside, it is nice to see ESW and the young guys play well. They just better carry it over to next year or it was a complete waste of our first chance to bottom out properly.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Thorburn found a new level of stink last night. Hard to imagine he could, but he pushes the envelope like a real pro.

Tanev looks almost as useful as Halischuk. Guess we'll hear Chevy trumpeting that signing the way he trumpeted Stuart's new contract.

On the plus side, the other kids.

Thanks for all the 4-game win streaks when the games mattered, Jets. They were all so very, very exciting.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Funny how last year the last month of the season is the most difficult time, but this season it's "garbage time". Also, what makes people think that it's easier to play and succeed in the NHL when "the pressure is off". Does the other team give you more room because you don't have any pressure?

Just watch the games - the Jets #1 line was sensational once it was put together and given the #1 responsibilities. Sure, they'll run into some dry patches, but pretending that they aren't top quality players who are very effective against other top-quality players is a bit dolorous. For the first time with this Jets team (2.0), I feel that they are now able to put out a line-up that matches the talent of other top teams from the first line down. LLW was an effective line, but I think they were always a notch below the talent of other top lines. ESW puts other teams on their heels and has high skill to score reliably. Being able to follow that with a 2nd line centered around Little is a big step forward. Being able to play young and cheap talent right through the rest of the line-up is exactly what a draft and develop strategy is supposed to yield. When was the last time we could put out a bottom-6 player as good as Petan, or Armia for that matter?

I realize the frustration with a poor record this year, but the team at the end of the year is not the same as the one at the beginning. This team will still have some bumps in the road, but they have the solutions to their biggest problems now within the organization.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This win was most unfortunate. Doubles our chances of picking outside the top 6 which is where I personally have a small cliff in the draft talent.

1) Matthews
2) Laine
3) PLD
4) Pulju
5) Chychrun
6) Tkachuk
7) Clusterfluck

Odds of picking 7+ if 5th last = 28.2%
Odds of picking 7+ if 6th last = 58.9%

To the people spewing the false narrative that "it's only a percent or two difference", I'm not sure you understand the process or the math.

And yes, everyone's list will be different (including Chevy's), but the point is that it's not irrational to be a fan of the Jets and be disappointed that we scored one more shootout goal than LA in game 82 of a meaningless season. Regardless of your personal list, there's a drop off somewhere in the top 10 and the odds that we fall after that drop off are much higher for having won last night.

All that aside, it is nice to see ESW and the young guys play well. They just better carry it over to next year or it was a complete waste of our first chance to bottom out properly.

The Jets have a very high likelihood of having a choice among this group:

Tkachuk, Juolevi, Chychrun, PLD. Those are all very good prospects, and two of them fill the Jets most pressing organizational need (LHD).

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
So tell me: if you were Maurice or Chevy, what would you have done to stifle the Jets ability to win games, beyond what Chevy did?

He pretty much did all he could have. It's just unfortunate the team picked now to win just when it looked like losing was finally going to pay off.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So tell me: if you were Maurice or Chevy, what would you have done to stifle the Jets ability to win games, beyond what Chevy did?

Should have played Ehlers with Thorbs, Scheifele with Stafford and Wheeler with Burmi. It would have had all sorts of benefits. The tank would have been epic, and all of the critics here would have been able to rant all the way through the summer about how stupid and terrible Maurice (and Chevy) are for shackling their best players.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Funny how last year the last month of the season is the most difficult time, but this season it's "garbage time". Also, what makes people think that it's easier to play and succeed in the NHL when "the pressure is off". Does the other team give you more room because you don't have any pressure?

What makes me think it's easier when the pressure is off? I don't know...50 years of life? I've experienced it myself. It's much easier to do stuff when there's no pressure. Imagine trying to diffuse a bomb that you know is live compared to trying to diffuse one that you know is a dud.

I can easily see players playing a different way when they know they aren't being held to the same degree of accountability for things they do. When they can more or less just go out and play and be loose and try stuff. I don't know...just seems perfectly obvious to me. Its not at all uncommon for bad teams to start winning games once they are officially eliminated...seems to happen every season.

And there's nothing "funny" about last year being the most difficult time and this year being garbage time. How can you even say that? Are you seriously suggesting there is nothing different about being in a tight playoff race and being eliminated months before the end of the season??? It's "garbage time" because it's garbage time as opposed to being a playoff race. Two different things.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

nothing much more than he did. As I've been saying over and over again...I'm whining about the cruel fate of the hockey gods, not about the players or coaches or mgmnt actually doing anything specific to lose. I wish we would have lost more games. I don't wish the players had shot pucks into our own net or anything.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He pretty much did all he could have. It's just unfortunate the team picked now to win just when it looked like losing was finally going to pay off.

It basically comes down to Pavs. His first good stretch of goaltending was at the end of the season, when nothing mattered. I can't stand his whinging attitude and his lack of effort and consistency.

I actually think that Chevy felt his best chance at tanking was with Pavs and Hutch, and they confounded his plans by coming up with a strong stretch at the most inopportune time.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Would be nice if the play of our prospects and team in general would play when it actually means something. Sure, win when there's no pressure or expectations and revert back to the norm in the fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad