Pre-Game Talk: Weekend Warriors - Chi & Cal B2B

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
They better not to fall too far behind. Last year took an epical surge to climb out of that hole.

Incredibly, however, almost all of our worst performers in that game were under 30 years old.

Age is not what lost us that hockey game.
Celebrini got f***ed up in his first game after celebrating a goal and an assist. Age is just the number!

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
So is pre-season over yet?

I caught that pre-season game on Wednesday against the jets. Looked like we were shaking off some rust.

Boys looked like they were playing some passive shinny out there. A few exhibition twirls, get that heart rate up

Can't wait for the season to actually start.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
People obsess over the average age, but aren't considering that the two players really pulling that average up are on the 4th line, at least one of which is likely not going to be in the lineup come playoffs. Possibly not even in the lineup come new year with Philp knocking on the door.

Henrique is 34, but likely to play the fewest minutes of his career this year playing outside the Top 6 for the first time probably ever. I don't anticipate issues there. Ekholm is 34, and maybe there's a bit of risk of fall off later in the year, but he's also elite, and hasn't shown this to be the case so far.

Everyone else is 32 or younger, not old. I'd have some concern if we were the Kings or Penguins and the #1C and #1D are both ancient, but that isn't the case. The only player on the team that plays a feature role that would be considered old enough to possibly fall off due to age is Ekholm, and he's shown no sign of that at all.

This is an easy narrative for people to seize and harp on, but it's a red herring when you actually look at where age is distributed around the roster.
Yes. More importantly, the core is in the absolute prime: McDavid (27), Draisaitl (28-29), RNH (31), Hyman (32), Ekholm (34), Bouchard (24), Nurse (29). Even Kane, Arvidsson and Skinner are still at the tail end of their prime rather than in the twilight.
Basically Henrique (35) is the only top 9 forward that is over 35. And Ryan and Perry may not even play much in the playoffs. I am sure they will bring a forward or two, like they did last year. Skinner and this year also defensive depth are the weak links.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
If the Oilers get outworked by Chicago, I'm going to lose my shit.

Skinner has played one game so far and I couldn't tell how he looked, because on my TV he was totally obscured by the 3 million dollars that should have been used on the second pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00