Post-Game Talk: Game #2 Pens vs Wings: Much better game

Genetic

Oct 21, 2009
It's not really the fact that Jarry, the "starter" for this team, is making a bit under $5.5M AAV. It's that he sucks, he's volatile as hell, he routinely craters in the final 3-4 months of the season, he has injury issues, and he's an unlikable whiner.

Paying your starter what the Pens are paying Jarry is fine. Jarry's just a mess. /shrug
A whiner? What did I miss? Or did you mean to call him a wiener?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well... then I guess that's on the league GMs to learn from their mistakes all over again.

You don't pay this position. One big money goaltender finally winning one doesn't really change my mind on that.

It WOULD be nice if the side effect is that Jarry's deal looks more palatable. But we'll see.
I'm fine with paying a great goalie great money.

The problem is that the position is so volatile and there are so few great goalies. Jarry isn't one of them. He's replacement level, as we find out every time he's replaced by a goalie making a fraction of his salary.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
In fairness to Yzerman, the Wings have had horrible luck in the draft lottery. This is why I caution those Pens fans who want to leap headlong into the tank because you can get stuck in that for a while if the lottery balls don't bounce your way.

Them and Buffalo are great examples of how tanking isn't guaranteed to lead to success.
A lotta problems on that roster. Husso was a dice roll that hasn't worked out to this point. Let's see what Talbot can do at 38. He was very good last year.

Didn't like the Copp signing for them at the time and still don't. Overpaid. Would have allocated that money to a top-4 D. You can't leave a blue line that barren and expect success.
Seider should have been given a bridge deal before throwing 7 x 8.5M at him. He was crap last year and is not deserving of that bag yet.
They lack defensively responsible Forwards as well.

Poor drafting luck is a valid mention, but I see bad roster construction choices here too.
Oh and Lalonde is not an NHL calibre coach.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, as good as Yzerman's time with the Bolts was (and how much of it was up to scouts/drafting/development?), this Wings tenure has been El Stinko Grande.
It’s always humbling to see some of the greatest on-ice minds of the NHL become absolutely awful GMs, lol.

And how many of those accounts are actually you?
One. The one I’m now replying to.

Also, if you’re wondering SEAL is my alcoholic pervert account that I use to shit post with.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00