Pre-Game Talk: Week of the road warriors @SEA (Tuesday @6:30PM) @UTAH (Thursday @7:00PM)

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
On my way home from work today, I was listening to an interesting goalie segment on Real Kyper and Bourne show on TSN 1050 featuring Steve Valiquette.

Valy is the President and CEO of Clear Sight Analytics.

He was ranking the goalies so far this year.

No surprise, he said Georgiev has been far and away the worst goaltender in the NHL this year. He said he is having a historically bad start and you'd have to go back just over 30 years to identify a worse 5 game stretch of any goaltender in history; Steve Weeks over a 7 game period in '92-'93 for the Ottawa Senators. Since advanced stats have come in, their database can't find a match even close to how bad Georgiev has been.

One stat that I found particularly hilarious/sad is he stated that across the entire NHL this year, only 10 goals have been scored from "dead ice." Of those 10, Georgiev alone has allowed 4 of them. None of the other 6 offenders have allowed more than 1.

For those unaware, this is considered "dead ice." Basically an impossible angle that a goalie should never get beaten from.

hockey zone.jpg

In closing, he said he's shocked the Avs even went 5 games with this albatross of a goaltending performance and would be equally as shocked if they went back to him until all other options have completely imploded.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I was listening to an interesting goalie segment on Real Kyper and Bourne show featuring Steve Valiquette on TSN 1050 radio today on my way home from work.

No surprise, he said Georgiev has been far and away the worst goaltender in the NHL this year. He said he is having a historically bad start and you'd have to go back just over 30 years to identify a worse 5 game stretch of any goaltender in history; Steve Weeks over a 7 game period in '92-'93 for the Ottawa Senators. Since advanced stats have come in, their database can't find a match even close to how bad Georgiev has been.

One stat that I find particularly hilarious/sad is he stated across the entire NHL this year, only 10 goals have been scored from "dead ice." Of those 10, Georgiev alone has allowed 4 of them. None of the other 6 offenders have allowed more than 1.

For those unaware, this is considered "dead ice." Basically an impossible angle that a goalie should never get beaten from.

View attachment 919890

In closing, he said he's shocked the Avs even went 5 games with this albatross of a goaltending performance and would be equally as shocked if they went back to him until all other options have completely imploded.
Valy seriously underestimates the stubbornness of Bednar and the Avs.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
He said he is having a historically bad start and you'd have to go back just over 30 years to identify a worse 5 game stretch of any goaltender in history
Like 5 games to start the season or 5 games total? And is that 5 games consecutively or like a backup sucking 5 times over a few months?

Either way - woof

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
On my way home from work today, I was listening to an interesting goalie segment on Real Kyper and Bourne show on TSN 1050 featuring Steve Valiquette.

One stat that I found particularly hilarious/sad is he stated that across the entire NHL this year, only 10 goals have been scored from "dead ice." Of those 10, Georgiev alone has allowed 4 of them. None of the other 6 offenders have allowed more than 1.

View attachment 919890

Valiquette is a f***ing treasure on MSG and really glad he's a guest on Real Kyper and Bourne. He's the #1 goalie whisperer in the business TBH.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
5 straight games, period. At any point of any regular season or playoffs. Starter, backup, call-up, anybody. No goalie has had as bad of xGAA, GSAx, etc.
It would have happened over a hundred times if teams were dumb enough to keep sending their very obvious mentally broken goalie for 5 straight starts though.

It's not that other goalies never suck, it's teams don't abuse them like that.

Reactions: LOFIN

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It would have happened over a hundred times if teams were dumb enough to keep sending their very obvious mentally broken goalie for 5 straight starts though.

It's not that other goalies never suck, it's teams don't abuse them like that.
Yeah. Giving Georgiev Columbus after Vegas, fine. A chance to rebound, a lot of teams would do that.

Putting him in against the Islanders after that? f***ing no-one, besides Bednar. Putting him against Boston after the Islanders, quadruble f***ing no-one besides Bednar.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah. Giving Georgiev Columbus after Vegas, fine. A chance to rebound, a lot of teams would do that.

Putting him in against the Islanders after that? f***ing no-one, besides Bednar. Putting him against Boston after the Islanders, quadruble f***ing no-one besides Bednar.
Yeah he's obviously not the only goaltender in 30 years to have mental issues that prevent him to stop the puck but he's the only one who had 5 straight starts with numbers like that. It doesn't say much about Georgiev but it says a lot about the Avs.

Reactions: The Moops

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah he's obviously not the only goaltender in 30 years to have mental issues that prevent him to stop the puck but he's the only one who had 5 straight starts with numbers like that. It doesn't say much about Georgiev but it says a lot about the Avs.
I'm still suspecting there is a serious disconnect here between Bednar and CMac. CMac thought Annunen would get a fair chance to be a real #2, probably even a tandem situation. This is why nothing serious was done regarding goaltending during the summer, options were available. And as soon as it shows that Bednar has zero plans to play Annunen, he claims Kähkönen on waivers.

Because Lankinen was available out there, and now look. One of the best goalies so far on a league minimum deal. Signed DURING TRAINING CAMP.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
That playoff game really did break him mentally. I said back then that it was a career ending game, but he did manage to recover in my eyes, but perhaps not in his own.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
So no other goalie with mental issues has ever had to start 5 straight games?

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
No goalie that couldn't stop the puck like that had to start 5 straight games.
That part I agree with.

I just don’t get your, it says more about the avs than it does Georgiev.

IMO, it’s the opposite. No goalie has sucked that hard in consecutive starts. Now if Georgiev was a first time starter, or a back up, or a career AHLer, I get it. Instead he’s a 28 year with 260 nhl starts.

His level of play is inexcusable. And the avs going to him is them trying to give him more confidence by hoping, the professional goalie, can string 1 good game somewhere.
The fact he hasn’t is more an indication that EVERY other goalie was able to overcome their mental issue for at least a game or 2 somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad