Pre-Game Talk: Week of Make a F***ing Save, Damnit! vs NYI (Mon 7PM); vs BOS (Wed 7:30PM); vs ANA (Fri 7PM); @ SJ (Sun 6PM)

How many goaltenders will play for the Avs this week?

Votes: 6 11.1%

Votes: 3 5.6%

Votes: 25 46.3%

Votes: 5 9.3%

Votes: 15 27.8%

• Total voters

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Speaking for myself, I liked Ludwig's game better than both CDH and Kylington. He's capable of playing more the JMFJ/Manson style of Defense to compliment whoever the "offensive-minded" D guy is going to be. Having said that, I thought John was looking hungry in the offensive zone too, him going hard after a rebound just to the right of the net really caught my eye.

Certainly hope he's back in the lineup soon as I'd like to see if he can truly handle third pair minutes. He's the only one of the bunch I'd really trust to start learning the PK as well.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Was out of town for the first three games so I didn't get to see them on TV until last night. Didn't realize they finally acquiesced and got a jersey sponsor. As if I wasn't bummed enough about this team...oh well.
Haven’t won a regular season game since they were put on. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Which one of you is this?
IMG_2533.jpeg

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Despite what a lot of people think, I believe Bednar is absolutely the best guy for the job. For what he's been able to accomplish with the lack of health with this team is pretty impressive. If the Avs had a full time, like Nashville for example, I could get on board, but he's playing guys like Miles Wood on the first line out of desperation.

• Haha
Reactions: wayninja

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Despite what a lot of people think, I believe Bednar is absolutely the best guy for the job. For what he's been able to accomplish with the lack of health with this team is pretty impressive. If the Avs had a full time, like Nashville for example, I could get on board, but he's playing guys like Miles Wood on the first line out of desperation.
What has he accomplished though? I'm confident I could have coached the team to zero point also.

Last edited:

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Blaming Bednar doesn't even make logical sense. He can't control which players management gives him, or the fact that half the core is on the injured list.

Reactions: nightonthesun

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Blaming Bednar doesn't even make logical sense. He can't control which players management gives him, or the fact that half the core is on the injured list.
That's not really true. Coaches don't have the final say of course, but they do work with management to target players and guys who'd fit.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
20 shots in a period happens sometimes. The Avs had 17 in the 3rd against Sorokin the other night, he gave up just one goal. I don't think it should be excused away from any goalie based on that. I don't think Metallurg is very good, but Nabokov is simply not having an exceptional season either. I think both are tied into each other. Nabokov has been erratic. When he's been on, you see the athleticism on full display and really good puck tracking. When he's off, he does his best George impression. Metallurg doesn't have an good enough team to give consistent performances around him either. They'll make the playoffs because the really bad teams in the KHL are REALLY bad, but it doesn't look like a team that is anywhere near the top.
So I watched a video on Nabokov this morning (posted over a month ago, so a lot of this guys analysis was on things from the previous season). One of the biggest things he noted was that Nabokov likes to use T-cuts for the vast majority of his movements, when shuffles should be the go to. Leads to him ending up off his angles a bunch.

He made the same comment that his erratic nature at times leads to to the insane stats he has put up, but can lead to him looking bad when its not working (which will get exposed more in the NHL).

Hopefully Nabokov or the goalie coach he works with can train this out of his game.

Reactions: henchman21

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
I don't want to make this another 'Fire Bednar' thread, but the chickens are coming home to roost on the 'Bednar System.' The concept is great, but it requires all 4 lines / 3 pair to be perfect complements. The system breaks down in a huge hurry if just one guy is not with the program.

For example, Ritchie does not yet fully grasp the system So he is at -7 as pointed out earlier in this thread. He stops the system on a dime about 65% of the time he is on the ice, and the Bednar system does not work in those 14 minutes per game. (I'm actually in the 'I wonder if there is anything else for him to possibly learn in Juniors' camp.)

It goes without saying that the injuries destroy the Bednar System, and he can't control injuries. Still, just a single Top-6 injury plunges the system into chaos. As do nacho eaters who do not fit the system. Bednar needs to be more flexible. He needs to make adjustments on the fly. He needs to have a Plan B. Other organizations have figured out how to interrupt the Avs' flow. Nowhere is this more apparent than the PK. But the zone exits seems to be back to the predictable 2 ( really 1) strategies available. Furthermore, teams now send a runner behind the defense, as Toews and Manson continually get caught behind the opponent's net without a forward to cover nor the speed to get back.

In a vacuum, Bednar's system should win the cup every year. But the game is not played in a vacuum, and I am not sure that Bednar understands that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So I watched a video on Nabokov this morning (posted over a month ago, so a lot of this guys analysis was on things from the previous season). One of the biggest things he noted was that Nabokov likes to use T-cuts for the vast majority of his movements, when shuffles should be the go to. Leads to him ending up off his angles a bunch.

He made the same comment that his erratic nature at times leads to to the insane stats he has put up, but can lead to him looking bad when its not working (which will get exposed more in the NHL).

Hopefully Nabokov or the goalie coach he works with can train this out of his game.
This is an area where I could really get into the weeds. :laugh:

T pushes are being heavily phased out in coaching for the exact reason you're stating. It has become an easily exploitable area and moving towards shuffles and more narrow stances is the trend (side note... I'm seeing kids training with 3/4" and 7/8" hollows. No idea how they have enough bite to push, but it really helps with their shuffles. Blows my mind I can't imagine a goalie at a 5/8" myself.). There is no getting away from the T push on bigger movements, but it should not be the primary move as goalies just aren't as exact in their positioning. Otter when he was coming up, was a big T push guy. It wasn't really until he got the AHL that they worked on getting him away from that technique and he had some struggles getting used to being more composed and relying less on the explosive push.

As a smaller goalie Nabokov needs to be more explosive to cover the net properly, so he might need more t pushes... but he's going to have to be exact and very controlled in his movements for it to be successful.

Alongside this, one of the biggest differences between big and small ice is the angles at which the goalies are exposed and where shooters come from. It seems counter intuitive, but you have a lot more variance in the angles of shots on small ice vs big ice. You don't see nearly as many below the faceoff dot shots on big ice. Now the KHL has been moving towards small ice, but there are still a lot of 92' sheets out there (this is the Finnish size). Metallurg is one of the 92' sheets. Plus the style of games dictate some changes in angles. This simply means that positioning is huge in the NA game. If you don't have it, you'll be exposed eventually.

All of this is to say, there should be the expectation of an adjustment. Nabokov has some natural disadvantages with his size and style that will have to be worked out. A guy like Frank would be ideal to teach him how to succeed in the NHL as he had to make many of the same adjustments through his career (many were made prior to him in NA, but some came here too).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad