Pre-Game Talk: Week of Make a F***ing Save, Damnit! vs NYI (Mon 7PM); vs BOS (Wed 7:30PM); vs ANA (Fri 7PM); @ SJ (Sun 6PM)

How many goaltenders will play for the Avs this week?

Votes: 4 8.2%

Votes: 3 6.1%

Votes: 24 49.0%

Votes: 4 8.2%

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

This guy looks like a goalie. What is this sorcery, a goalie is allowed to make a difficult save?

Yup... especially when you see this:

Yanked in 2 of his last 4 starts and 3 in 14 starts so far this year. On the flip side, he's only given up 4+ 3 times this year. Gotta pump up those numbers.

2cc4cf19-a119-47d5-908f-a077397cbf69_text.gif

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
They’re yanking Nabokov partially to give him some rest. His backup has been pulled early in each of his last three starts, so Nabokov hasn’t gotten any days off. Needs some context.
And he's also played poorly in those games. It isn't like they are pulling him because he's playing well. Dude had a 5G worthy performance against AK Bars. The one in September against Spartak (?) was also an especially bad showing. In about half of his games he's been below .900. Thusfar, he is very erratic in my viewings. So while we have his highlights of a great save, we should also have the context of him not being particularly good so far.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Getting all the injured players and Val back would be great, but the question is, how far back we gonna fall until we do get healthy, and can we catch up.? With a full line up we should start winning games, but Georgiev is still gonna allow bad goals so I don’t think we gonna go on major win streaks like 10 or 15 game win streaks.

So the big question is, can we make a run and catch up? I think we gonna be too far back, catching up is gonna be difficult unless we get above average goaltending. Even with a full line up, we will need saves to go on big win streaks

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
And he's also played poorly in those games. It isn't like they are pulling him because he's playing well. Dude had a 5G worthy performance against AK Bars. The one in September against Spartak (?) was also an especially bad showing. In about half of his games he's been below .900. Thusfar, he is very erratic in my viewings. So while we have his highlights of a great save, we should also have the context of him not being particularly good so far.
He wasn’t bad at all in his last start that he got yanked from. He was shelled for 20 shots in the first period alone. The one he got pulled from before then was rough, though.

Before the season they talked about not wanting to have to play him every game, but I believe he’s appeared in every game for a month now because of the ineptitude of his backup. After a long season last year, he has mentioned fatigue kicking in.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He wasn’t bad at all in his last start that he got yanked from. He was shelled for 20 shots in the first period alone. The one he got pulled from before then was rough, though.

Before the season they talked about not wanting to have to play him every game, but I believe he’s appeared in every game for a month now because of the ineptitude of his backup. After a long season last year, he has mentioned fatigue kicking in.
20 shots in a period happens sometimes. The Avs had 17 in the 3rd against Sorokin the other night, he gave up just one goal. I don't think it should be excused away from any goalie based on that. I don't think Metallurg is very good, but Nabokov is simply not having an exceptional season either. I think both are tied into each other. Nabokov has been erratic. When he's been on, you see the athleticism on full display and really good puck tracking. When he's off, he does his best George impression. Metallurg doesn't have an good enough team to give consistent performances around him either. They'll make the playoffs because the really bad teams in the KHL are REALLY bad, but it doesn't look like a team that is anywhere near the top.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Good insight from Nate. Still annoying to see everyone tapdance around any criticism of the goaltending, but it is what it is. Can't afford to negatively impact the mental of the most mentally fragile starter in the league.
To be fair, it's not helpful for anyone in that room, especially the players, to slag Georgiev.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Oh, I didn't take it that way. I just figured he's expressing the same frustration we are about the health of the roster.
I don't think he meant it that way... but as a fringe player like Ivan, Stienberg, Kelly, Kiviranta, Ludvig, or Ritchie... hearing that MacK basically wants you gone so he can play with the good players just can't feel good. Not different than Mikko's 'every mistake ends up in the net' or CDH's 'fing kidding me.' All vents of frustration that are perfectly valid, but not the best looks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad