Pre-Game Talk: Week of Drop the F'n Puck: @VGK(Wed 8PM), vCBJ(Sat 7PM)

How many points this week?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I had to look it up lol

And I'm still not sure, that's why I answered I don't think so :D

Oh, sorry, in Russia they don't have middle names, they have patronymics, a name derived from your father. So if Ivan Ivan was Russian, his name would be Ivan Marekovich Ivan. If he were a woman her name would be Ivan Marekovna Ivan. Didn't know what the Czech custom was.

Interesting to note, on my extremely cursory research, the Czechs have a very, very wide variety of surnames, but not first names. Complete opposite of my mother's homeland in Korea where there's only like five surnames and practically half the population has the same one (Kim, which of course is my mother's maiden name).

Reactions: Hesher

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Oh, sorry, in Russia they don't have middle names, they have patronymics, a name derived from your father. So if Ivan Ivan was Russian, his name would be Ivan Marekovich Ivan. If he were a woman her name would be Ivan Marekovna Ivan. Didn't know what the Czech custom was.

Interesting to note, on my extremely cursory research, the Czechs have a very, very wide variety of surnames, but not first names. Complete opposite of my mother's homeland in Korea where there's only like five surnames and practically half the population has the same one (Kim, which of course is my mother's maiden name).
No, the Czechs (or us Slovaks) don't do that. The former Czechoslovakia copied a lot of things from the Russians/Soviets but not that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Is that using the fathers first name? Mexico seems to use both last names. Is that an example of Patronymics?

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Did Ivan really not play last season? Maybe I'm remembering last years camp and his performance back then.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Is that using the fathers first name? Mexico seems to use both last names. Is that an example of Patronymics?
No that's something else, a patronymic is indeed derived from the father's first name. For example, Kovalenko's full name is Nikolai Andreyevich Kovalenko, since of course his old man is former Av Andrei Kovalenko.

Did Ivan really not play last season? Maybe I'm remembering last years camp and his performance back then.
No, he played a total of 70 AHL games last season between regular season and playoffs.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
He looks extremely pale and fatigued, and clearly losing a lot of hair.... Hope he's doing ok health wise
He's fine...
1728509025065.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: RoyIsALegend

JudoKoala

The Ghost of Joe Sacco
Aug 10, 2020
Toronto
Y'all know who it is, baby

IVANIVAN.jpg

Getting a nice photodump collection going for when my boy scores his first of the season tonight...... Gonna put my head through the roof...... Snake I's AKA Ivan the Terrible AKA The Grand Prince gonna light this bitch up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad