Buffalo Bills Week 6 -- Buffalo (3-2) at Jets (2-3 ) Monday 10/14, 8:15 pm, ESPN and ABC

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I would welcome that, but they usually cost a premium
Yeah, you kinda need to get lucky and find someone that's mostly been cast as a deep threat and just hasn't had a chance to show off their route running ability as much. I thought Samuel might provide some of that, but Brady seems fixated on using him purely as a gadget WR, and he doesn't ever seem to be the first or second option when he runs actual routes.

Reactions: SundherDome

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I watched the Bills game today, as I had a day off from work. I don’t particularly understand why Brady attacked the way he did.

I get the calls for WR help. But Brady didn’t do enough to help himself. The en vogue cover 1 beater concept is WR isolation. Then make the game into 1v1, receiver vs corner. With the inexperience they have in Coleman, that’s was silly.

The classic way to beat cover 1 is crossers. If it’s man, you combo into some traffic and hit crossers. If it’s zone, you wait until the receiver enters a window. The Kincaid catch to set up Cook’s TD and Hopkins’ big gainer were crossers.

I wouldn’t sound the alarm on a WR trade yet. I think Brady can solve this schematically. He needs to dig back into his Franklin, Penn State time. Shorten the routes, throw lots and lots of crossers. Let the YAC make the yardage.
I like the crossers idea in theory, but the interior OL getting crushed while pass blocking and Allen leaving the pocket a beat too early over the past two weeks has probably hurt that approach. It's a bit of a chicken or egg problem--you gotta hang in the pocket and throw under pressure to connect on some of those intermediate passes over the middle, but it's hard to trust the OL will hold up enough when they're constantly scraping you off the ground.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I like the crossers idea in theory, but the interior OL getting crushed while pass blocking and Allen leaving the pocket a beat too early over the past two weeks has probably hurt that approach. It's a bit of a chicken or egg problem--you gotta hang in the pocket and throw under pressure to connect on some of those intermediate passes over the middle, but it's hard to trust the OL will hold up enough when they're constantly scraping you off the ground.
If you’re throwing deeper crossers, agree.

The entire underlying premise behind the horizontal offense (west coast) is quick crossers. So it’s doable. Brady just needs to dial up some WC plays.

An offense like SFs would’ve crushed Houston’s defensive scheme, even if run by the Bills players.

Reactions: Zman5778

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I honestly think the regression by the offense is simply experienced coordinators getting Joe Brady on films.

They see what he does against certain defenses, so they add some new wrinkles to essentially take away the 1st option.

Shakir demands some bracketing too...without that it it was easy to wipe out the 1st read for Josh and force him to 2nd and 3rd options.

I think the big thing right now is that the lack of a downfield threat. MVS, Samuel, and Hollins to some level were supposed to be downfield threats to stretch the field. They haven't been. The only player who has consistently open in single coverage has been Coleman, and he's not a speedster.

So teams have been able to, essentially, not respect Allens deep ball threat because no one can catch it. It's the reason we saw so many shot plays early was because it was open and our guys couldn't catch the ball. We even got Kincaid in single coverage by a linebacker streaking down the field and Houston's LB made a hell of a play defending the ball

Honestly, we need to connect on a few PA deep balls to really force the teams back into two high safety to let the short game work.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I think that Joe Brady has taken a reasonable amount of heat for what has happened the last two weeks.

I think that Brandon Beane has taken a reasonable amount of heat.

I think that Josh Allen continues to get a pass from large segments of the fanbase that are unwilling to admit that he isn't perfect and he has bad games.

Allen needs to be better. Brady needs to be better. The WRs need to be better.
Down on vacation with family and my uncle was asking why I’m not as upset as he is. All I had was “they win, a lot, at some point I have to accept that they’ve been as good or better than every team out there but the chiefs at winning”. Everyone has down spots but over the last 6 years the list of teams that do better than the bills is very very short.

I honestly think the regression by the offense is simply experienced coordinators getting Joe Brady on films.

They see what he does against certain defenses, so they add some new wrinkles to essentially take away the 1st option.

Shakir demands some bracketing too...without that it it was easy to wipe out the 1st read for Josh and force him to 2nd and 3rd options.

I think the big thing right now is that the lack of a downfield threat. MVS, Samuel, and Hollins to some level were supposed to be downfield threats to stretch the field. They haven't been. The only player who has consistently open in single coverage has been Coleman, and he's not a speedster.

So teams have been able to, essentially, not respect Allens deep ball threat because no one can catch it. It's the reason we saw so many shot plays early was because it was open and our guys couldn't catch the ball. We even got Kincaid in single coverage by a linebacker streaking down the field and Houston's LB made a hell of a play defending the ball

Honestly, we need to connect on a few PA deep balls to really force the teams back into two high safety to let the short game work.
Do not disagree. I think it took Brady by surprise that the league caught up so fast. Combine that with a handful of key injuries and poorly timed flub by Allen and you get 3-2. Beat a jets team desperately trying to save half a decade and you pretty much lock up the division baring an injury to Allen. Leaving you all season to figure out how to beat the cover 1 and force teams back into the cover 2 Brady’s offense eats up.

Reactions: misterchainsaw

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Not a huge fan of this happening the week before our first game with them. The "new coach bump" is kind of a real thing.

And as much as I welcome an AFC East foe in chaos.......can't help but think that this is a scapegoat firing. Saleh is a defense guy and his defenses have never been a problem. Offense has always been the issue for the Jets during his tenure -- and a lot of that is a lack of talent....which isn't Saleh's fault per se.
The first bit is my feeling too. Revenge for last year when we got the Brady bump and smoked them 32-6 I guess.

I don't know how I feel about the 2nd bit. I've never felt like he's hired well at OC, and I've never felt like he had a great grasp of game management. He's honestly probably better suited as a DC somewhere.

Der Jeager said:
If you’re throwing deeper crossers, agree.

The entire underlying premise behind the horizontal offense (west coast) is quick crossers. So it’s doable. Brady just needs to dial up some WC plays.

An offense like SFs would’ve crushed Houston’s defensive scheme, even if run by the Bills players.

Kansas City's offense lives off of those shallow crossers.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Yeah, you kinda need to get lucky and find someone that's mostly been cast as a deep threat and just hasn't had a chance to show off their route running ability as much. I thought Samuel might provide some of that, but Brady seems fixated on using him purely as a gadget WR, and he doesn't ever seem to be the first or second option when he runs actual routes.
This is what concerns me most about Brady through 5 weeks. Unless he's banged up, it's hard to believe that Samuel's ability has just fallen off a cliff, and so we've turned a competent NFL receiver (>60 catches every season he's been healthy, catching passes from the likes of Taylor Heinicke) into an afterthought in an offense starved for NFL caliber boundary receivers to the point where the other team is thinking gadget play every time he steps on the field.

Gadget players don't work unless they're involved in the non-gadget offense as well.

Reactions: SundherDome

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad