Buffalo Bills Week 5 -- Buffalo (3-1) at Houston (3-1) Sun 10/6 · 1:00 PM EDT

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Keon is the only new WR worth anything MVS,Samuel and Hollins are all awful. Also can we have Samuel possibly run a slant or did he tell the team he will only catch screens for negative yards.
I'm really surprised about Samuel. He was a dependable receiver in Washington. I loved the signing, but him not panning out has really hurt our receiver depth.

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'm going to take the opposite tact and say the offensive series playcalling was NOT a problem on the last series.

1) Houston had three timeouts. The only way to take it to OT was to get a first down.
2) Houston had three timeouts. Meaning even if you call run-run-run-punt, they still get the ball back, probably about the same amount of time (maybe more if the runs take less time than the pass plays).
3) The only difference if the last play to set up the FG would not have been able to use the middle of the field.

The Bills needed to get a first down. Period. The timeout situation became irrelevant because of how low the clock was anyways. The only argument for running there is if you think they had a better chance of picking up the first down by calling a run. In that situation, where Houston was probably expecting the run, where a safety was the ultimate disaster...I'm fine with 3 passes there, but you gotta convert. They didn't.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
I'm going to take the opposite tact and say the offensive series playcalling was NOT a problem on the last series.

1) Houston had three timeouts. The only way to take it to OT was to get a first down.
2) Houston had three timeouts. Meaning even if you call run-run-run-punt, they still get the ball back, probably about the same amount of time (maybe more if the runs take less time than the pass plays).
3) The only difference if the last play to set up the FG would not have been able to use the middle of the field.

The Bills needed to get a first down. Period. The timeout situation became irrelevant because of how low the clock was anyways. The only argument for running there is if you think they had a better chance of picking up the first down by calling a run. In that situation, where Houston was probably expecting the run, where a safety was the ultimate disaster...I'm fine with 3 passes there, but you gotta convert. They didn't.
Allen was very likely concussed and they had him passing 3 times in a row. Try to give your punter some breathing room. Even a few yards would've helped. You could still pass on 3rd down. No runs at all is terrible playcaling, especially with Houston struggling against the run.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Allen was very likely concussed and they had him passing 3 times in a row. Try to give your punter some breathing room. Even a few yards would've helped. You could still pass on 3rd down. No runs at all is terrible playcaling, especially with Houston struggling against the run.
If he is/was concussed the Bill's face huge penalties from the league much like Tua. If Josh faked it and got away with one in the medical tent with a independent Neurologist, shame on him for his career, and future life. I'm not saying he wasn't, his head clearly hit the turf but he was telling teammates on the sidelines the wind was knocked out of him.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
It’s not a sure thing but burning timeouts and getting a little more room for Martin would have been preferable.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Really the difference in the game is that they hit their wide open deep shot and we didn't. You've gotta be able to hit a guy that wide open when the opportunity presents itself.

No one played particularly well on offense except the running backs. The offense line struggled in protection, but part of that was Allen looking to get out to the right whenever the slightest pressure came. Good coaches have keyed in on that and can neutralize that with spies and containment rushes on that end.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY

Even 6 or 7 yards makes a difference there though. I didn't love the playcalling/decision making. Maybe there was shorter routes that got covered, but it seemed like they were playing like they wanted to get the 60 yards and try a winning field goal without realizing Houston could come back win easily if they didn't get anything. Maybe some of that falls on Allen not taking shorter stuff, maybe it's on Brady for not having the routes, I don't know - I'd have to look at the plays.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Going into the season, I think we all saw the first 6 games and figured 4-2 or 3-3 were the most likely outcomes. The schedule eases dramatically after the Jets game.......and then that hellacious middle of the schedule ain't looking as daunting with the Chiefs not looking great and the Niners injured worse than we are.

12 wins is still reasonable as long as Allen doesn't repeat what he did in the first half today. Bernard is back. Taron looks to be on track to coming back next week. We get Oliver back......our defense (which didn't look bad outside one big play and one long, chunky TD drive) should rebound.

This one hurts.....but I still like the big picture........as long as Allen removes his head from his ass.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Really the difference in the game is that they hit their wide open deep shot and we didn't. You've gotta be able to hit a guy that wide open when the opportunity presents itself.

No one played particularly well on offense except the running backs. The offense line struggled in protection, but part of that was Allen looking to get out to the right whenever the slightest pressure came. Good coaches have keyed in on that and can neutralize that with spies and containment rushes on that end.
As much as I really hate to say it, this is a game where Gabe Davis gets 2 catches for 115 yards and a touchdown

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Going into the season, I think we all saw the first 6 games and figured 4-2 or 3-3 were the most likely outcomes. The schedule eases dramatically after the Jets game.......and then that hellacious middle of the schedule ain't looking as daunting with the Chiefs not looking great and the Niners injured worse than we are.

12 wins is still reasonable as long as Allen doesn't repeat what he did in the first half today. Bernard is back. Taron looks to be on track to coming back next week. We get Oliver back......our defense (which didn't look bad outside one big play and one long, chunky TD drive) should rebound.

This one hurts.....but I still like the big picture........as long as Allen removes his head from his ass.
It just feels like nobody's good in the league this year. But on the flip side nobodies terrible either (except maybe Carolina). Everyone is at least pretty good at one of offense or defense, and that means anyone can beat you if you have an off game.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
If he is/was concussed the Bill's face huge penalties from the league much like Tua. If Josh faked it and got away with one in the medical tent with a independent Neurologist, shame on him for his career, and future life. I'm not saying he wasn't, his head clearly hit the turf but he was telling teammates on the sidelines the wind was knocked out of him.
He was clearly out cold. You could see his arms go limp. Just because he passed a test in the blue tent doesn't mean he wasn't concussed. When your head bounces like a basketball off the turf he was very likely concussed.

Reactions: buffa dud

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Yup. I still foresee us winning the division.

But why must we always lose these types of games?! It feels like these ridiculous losses happen way more against us than in our favor...too many men on the field against the Giants last year, Hail Murray, the Minnesota game, 13 seconds, etc...such frustrating ways to lose.

Im finally coming around to there being a higher power- the football gods, and man are they massive assholes to us.

Reactions: 1specter

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006

I agree that the Bills had to get a first down. But the play selection was just no good. Should have been 1 run and 2 short passes with hope for YAC. The plays they ran were terrible.

Only chance for the Bills this year seems to be to win a weak division and hope our very inexperienced coordinators get some on the job training during the season and have a healthy roster by the time the playoffs roll around. Once you're in anything can happen. No team in the AFC is looking truly great this season.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Idk man... McD has done a lot of good, and has managed to get some great results out of undermanned and injured groups, but the same problems with poor clock management and questionable decision making in crucial moments continue to haunt this team. Also feel like they get exposed every time they play a top tier team. Might be getting closer to the end with him here....

Reactions: 12ozPapa

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
Idk man... McD has done a lot of good, and has managed to get some great results out of undermanned and injured groups, but the same problems with poor clock management and questionable decision making in crucial moments continue to haunt this team. Also feel like they get exposed every time they play a top tier team. Might be getting closer to the end with him here....
I agree. This team can look amazing but when it comes to time management/crunch time, I get stressed and grab an extra beer. That’s not good. This team is capable of. But they HAVE to be better in crucial moments and I have to say - it seems coaching may be an issue.

Reactions: 1specter

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
At least we aren't the Bengals. 1-4 and 0-3 vs AFC. Lost to the Patriots! Their season is likely done and it's barely October.

Reactions: buffa dud

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
We really wanted 12 personnel, but is Knox even playing? We spend a lot of money on him.
He's essentially an undersized lineman at this point. It's inexplicable how absent he's been in the passing game given how atrocious the wide receivers have been outside of Shakir.

And just to get ahead of it, I'm not advocating re-signing Shakir unless he can prove himself to be a top-5 threat in the league. Benford is earning a longterm deal. It looks like Bernard is. Rousseau... I'm thinking he can test FA waters, and the Bills will be fine. Shakir... he's looking good, but he needs a full season to prove himself as a top threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad