Buffalo Bills Week 5 -- Buffalo (3-1) at Houston (3-1) Sun 10/6 · 1:00 PM EDT

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
No challenge on the Kincaid catch confused me the most. Looked like a clean catch with both feet on the ground.

Also: McD is never going to change who he is defensively at the end of games. Going prevent when they only wanted a short gain on the last offensive play was monumentally stupid. Hell, you could give up a long gain and anything short of a TD just means you’re going to overtime
Yeah them going gor a td and running out of time was the dream scenario. If anything you should try to bait it.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Allen sucked. Coaching sucked at the end. Defense deserved much better. Such a Billsy loss that happen far too often under McD.
Another issue is Shakir is literally their only consistent man coverage beater as a pass catcher. Allen stunk, but the WRs just rarely get open at all, even on scramble drills where they should be at an advantage

Reactions: buffa dud

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
He's a solid coach, but I am concerned he's never going to get them over the hump. He's just so painfully bad in critical moments, and his time management leaves a lot to be desired. Problem is, you're way more likely to find a failure of a head coach than a solid coach like McD.
That’s what scares me most about moving on from McDermott - thinking about Pegula picking a new coach. McDermott’s basically his one good hire between both Buffalo teams. I’d say Beane too but I think McDermott had more to do with that hiring than Pegula.

I wonder if Pegula would give Beane a chance to pick a head coach or if he’d fire everyone?

I’m not saying they should move on from McDermott yet. I still think he’s a good coach with a lot of good qualities and that we could do a whole lot worse. But eventually a change is going to come if the Bills keep coming up short. I view this year as a reset year though. I can’t think of any teams that were legit Super Bowl contenders with $60+ million in dead cap space that season. Not to mention the defense is currently missing like half of their starters. I don’t see McDermott being on the hot seat this year, but who knows I guess.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I don’t think Joe Brady is an idiot but I do think he’s just one of many guys in Josh’s career who will get a gig he isn’t ready for because of Josh’s caliber. If it’s not working now, cut bait sooner rather than later

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
That’s what scares me most about moving on from McDermott - thinking about Pegula picking a new coach. McDermott’s basically his one good hire between both Buffalo teams. I’d say Beane too but I think McDermott had more to do with that hiring than Pegula.

I wonder if Pegula would give Beane a chance to pick a head coach or if he’d fire everyone?

I’m not saying they should move on from McDermott yet. I still think he’s a good coach with a lot of good qualities and that we could do a whole lot worse. But eventually a change is going to come if the Bills keep coming up short. I view this year as a reset year though. I can’t think of any teams that were legit Super Bowl contenders with $60+ million in dead cap space that season. Not to mention the defense is currently missing like half of their starters. I don’t see McDermott being on the hot seat this year, but who knows I guess.
I’d hope they’d let Beane pick someone else.

Samuel is a bust.

We missed Shakir.

We get 8 days now to get ready for a must win.

We should still win the AFC East but we may not win a playoff game.

I don’t think Joe Brady is an idiot but I do think he’s just one of many guys in Josh’s career who will get a gig he isn’t ready for because of Josh’s caliber. If it’s not working now, cut bait sooner rather than later
Last few weeks has shown Josh isn’t as good as we think. CJ and Lamar just showed they are better in head to head duals

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I really don’t think McDermott had anything to do with that playcalling. You trust your OC not to be a baffling buffon
The only way I understand it is if Brady wanted to go for the win with some kind of surprise big play. No real surprise with those three playcalls though.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I like his scheme and he has a knack for calling run plays well which is really valuable. But also showing a hilarious lack of awareness

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I like his scheme and he has a knack for calling run plays well which is really valuable. But also showing a hilarious lack of awareness
I don’t disagree, in an ideal world he’d be the OC’s top guy or whatever where he could construct a run game and such. I think his fault lies in having the authority to try to prove that he’s the smartest guy in the room, which he isn’t.

I can’t imagine they anticipated him having this job for a while but with Dorsey’s meltdown they were kinda stuck

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The most concerning part is this is the offense McBeane *wanted to build.*

It would be one thing if the likes of Hollins and MVS were only playing this much due to multiple injuries

But they built an offense that relies on them quite a bit

Doesn’t help that:
Knox is invisible
Kincaid hasn’t taken a leap
Throwing to Samuel on anything that isn’t a screen is basically spiking the ball in the dirt on that down—and we’re paying $8M for a guy who can’t even be an effective Harty or McKenzie type gadget WR

They cannot keep trotting this group out and expect better results. Yes, Allen needs to play better too, but a lot of the issues—him holding the ball and trying to make stuff happen late in the down—stem from nobody winning on their initial routes

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Have teams completely taken away the middle of the field or something? When the Bills were using the middle of the field they looked unstoppable. Now they're trying to run these low percentage routes to the outside and nothing is working.

Also, I see why Mack Hollins came cheap. If it's not right in the numbers or he has to make an adjustment under the ball then he's not making the catch.

Reactions: buffa dud

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Houston had all their timeouts. So even if you run the ball they can stop the clock.
Your back is averaging 4 yards a carry. Pound the ball twice. Even if he only manages 5 total yards, Texans are down to 1 TO and Allen isn’t facing 3rd and long throwing from the other teams endzone. This is the second week where we’re seeing absolute stupidity from Brady at a critical time in the game.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Two biggest take-aways for me this week:

1. That was a putrid performance by the offense. We’ve got a lot more Ls coming this season if they’re gonna keep doing that.

2. McDermott still hasn’t and probably never will learn his lesson about clock and TO management. I’ve lost count of how many games he’s cost us with his time management decisions, but it’s way too many.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Your back is averaging 4 yards a carry. Pound the ball twice. Even if he only manages 5 total yards, Texans are down to 1 TO and Allen isn’t facing 3rd and long throwing from the other teams endzone. This is the second week where we’re seeing absolute stupidity from Brady at a critical time in the game.
I understand what they were trying to fo.

If buffalo was going yuuu o run as Houston expected. Maybe uh err y get s 2st but forcing houston to use their timeouts. Buffalo ffg orsnt get 2sy th err y punt. Houston has b as ll as rrg found mid girls with 20 seconds left snf no tu ime outs. They could have done an out pass to get to 40-45 and get s FG chance.

If you do longer passes you could burn more clock. I dony know if part of their syrstrgh was fo 8 or do a snap then thf punt would be the final play

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Two biggest take-aways for me this week:

1. That was a putrid performance by the offense. We’ve got a lot more Ls coming this season if they’re gonna keep doing that.

2. McDermott still hasn’t and probably never will learn his lesson about clock and TO management. I’ve lost count of how many games he’s cost us with his time management decisions, but it’s way too many.
Keon is the only new WR worth anything MVS,Samuel and Hollins are all awful. Also can we have Samuel possibly run a slant or did he tell the team he will only catch screens for negative yards.

Reactions: sabresfan129103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad