Buffalo Bills Week 5 -- Buffalo (3-1) at Houston (3-1) Sun 10/6 · 1:00 PM EDT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My thoughts from this mess of a game:

-Backups at the second level and nickel corner were exposed. Safeties are also a problem.

-Still have no idea what Brady was thinking with the trick play. From Allen trying to throw the ball, I assumed it worked on the back end and someone was wide open. Nope. The full view of the play showed that Hollins had a step on a safety, but it wasn't a total coverage bust. Just idiotic decision-making when they were already moving the ball more effectively.

-Adjacent to that question: what is Curtis Samuel supposed to bring to this offense besides catching bubble screens? Feels like the coaching staff has pigeon-holed him in the McKenzie/Harty gadget WR role, but he's also not that good as a traditional WR. Unimpressed with his play thus far.

-My biggest pet peeve with Brady is how he almost *never* dials up shot plays on 2nd and short. It's usually running the ball to get the first down, which puts them right back in trying to stay ahead of the sticks vs. being in an optimal position to try for an explosive. If an intermediate or deep pass is incomplete, you're still at 3rd and 2 or less.

-McD's decisions to punt in the first half are exactly why I struggle to trust him come playoff time. It seems like, against good teams, he defaults to assuming the worst for the offense while also having total faith in the defense to get a stop. In this game, in particular, I don't understand why he'd think that, especially on the 4th and 2 from the 39 while down 14-3. Your defense has gotten shredded on both drives and is down multiple starters. You can't afford to freely give the ball back to Baltimore there...but he did.

-I don't think they have a choice about this: they need to bring in actual competition for Bass. Can't go into every game feeling like you have to get the ball to the 25 or closer to have even a modicum of confidence in your kicker.
One take that has consistently made me shake my head is Bills fans wanting more trick plays.

I want no more trick plays and just get back to things that actually work like pre-snap shifts, motion, and using play action.

Forget gadget plays like that forever.

And you miss me with the "trick plays are fun" takes. That was not fun. That was the exact opposite of fun. If you want fun trick plays, fire up Madden.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Not really super surprised by the outcome. They were due for a letdown, Baltimore is a tough place to play and the D has held up surprisingly well until this game. I would rather they lose this one and be focused against the Texans. I DO NOT want to lose that game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Bob

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
One thing that got overlooked in this mess was Bass's terrible miss on that 48 yarder. This man is going to cost us big in a critical moment. Too bad. One of the bigger fall offs that I can recall. It seemed he was on his way top becoming an elite kicker. He was at least really good. Now, you cant trust him at all.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
One thing that got overlooked in this mess was Bass's terrible miss on that 48 yarder. This man is going to cost us big in a critical moment. Too bad. One of the bigger fall offs that I can recall. It seemed he was on his way top becoming an elite kicker. He was at least really good. Now, you cant trust him at all.
Yeah, I feel like Bass is on a pretty short leash. A few more misses and they're gonna bring in someone else.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Felt eerily similar to most other blow out losses in the McD era.

Fall behind early. Offense never gets off the ground, even if the defense stabilizes for a while later on.

I was much more concerned with the offense last night than the defense. As has been the case in every McD era blowout.

I still think this is a 10-7 team that will get blown out in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Reactions: JLewyB

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

He's made 6 of 8 FGs and 14 of 15 XPs. Total of 20 for 23......and the XP miss wasn't his fault in the slightest -- it was a bad snap that threw everything off.

So he's pretty much 20 for 22 -- 91%. 20 kicks have been pretty literally right down the middle and 2 kicks have been out-and-out shanks. And he's made his one 50-yard attempt -- and that one had the leg to be good from 60.

It's not like he has the total yips......if that was the case, he wouldn't be making anything....or his kicks would barely be good. But the ones he makes are right down the middle, and the ones he misses are BAD.

To me, it strikes me like a golfer who can rip a 330 yard drive right down the middle 85% of the time.....but the other 15% goes OOB or flirts with it. It's a mechanical thing. That's a lot easier to come back from than a mental thing.

Reactions: tmlms13

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
On the offense, I thought Torrence has quietly been bad this year. He either blows up a guy or gets blown up.

Josh was bad against the nickel blitz last night and it wasnt like they were hiding it. Gotta get the ball out quickly

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I'm super confused by the narrative that "everybody eats," was the problem last night. The lines were obliterated on both sides of the ball. Not sure Justin Jefferson could have kept that close.

Reactions: Zman5778

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad