Buffalo Bills Week 4 -- Buffalo (3-0) vs Baltimore (1-2) Sun 09/29 · 8:20 PM EDT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Some Bills thoughts:

Offensively, the Bills look a lot like the Pats post-Moss and Welker. They've got weapons, but Allen is throwing to the open receiver almost every time. I think he forced a couple in the red zone, but that was it. Also, you're seeing designed plays to get the ball out of Allen's hands fast early in the game. Shakir, Smauel, and Cook got touches early. Lots of short throws with YAC potential. It's a ball control passing attack which gets Allen into a rhythm. You saw the outcome of that approach later, as he started hitting open receivers downfield. That's a far cry from the downfield attack he was asked to run under Daboll and Dorsey. And what Brady is doing is working - and it's the correct approach.

Defensively, Buffalo is a zone team with the same personnel requirements as the Tampa 2. You need a lot of talent in the front 4, which allows the back 7 to scheme and work to strength / taking away opposition strengths. Babich is doing a lot to get the QB off the spot, and taking away the downfield reads. Teams will eventually be able to drive on Buffalo, but they'll be longer drives with more opportunity to make mistakes. The flip side is that teams will have opportunity to keep Allen on the sidelines.

The biggest challenge going forward this season is to keep possession offensively and avoid 3 and outs early. Brady is doing a great job of this. Once Buffalo can start to operate with some pressure on the opponent to score, Babich can start to turn up some scheme options, particularly against the pass.

This type of team game is what McDermott was talking about when he said the team needs to play complimentary football. The Pats used to play like that, and they would regularly demolish opponents. Bills are starting to look like that.

If "Everybody Eats" goes well, the cap space could be focused on shoring up the D as opposed to splurging on offensive weapons.
Bills need DTs and a high end rush end to eventually replace Epenesa.

I'd also start looking at replacements for Edwards and a longer term LT (with a Dawkins move to LG as he ages).

Bills are winning the line of scrimmage. They need to make sure it stays that way.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Some Bills thoughts:

Offensively, the Bills look a lot like the Pats post-Moss and Welker. They've got weapons, but Allen is throwing to the open receiver almost every time. I think he forced a couple in the red zone, but that was it. Also, you're seeing designed plays to get the ball out of Allen's hands fast early in the game. Shakir, Smauel, and Cook got touches early. Lots of short throws with YAC potential. It's a ball control passing attack which gets Allen into a rhythm. You saw the outcome of that approach later, as he started hitting open receivers downfield. That's a far cry from the downfield attack he was asked to run under Daboll and Dorsey. And what Brady is doing is working - and it's the correct approach.

Defensively, Buffalo is a zone team with the same personnel requirements as the Tampa 2. You need a lot of talent in the front 4, which allows the back 7 to scheme and work to strength / taking away opposition strengths. Babich is doing a lot to get the QB off the spot, and taking away the downfield reads. Teams will eventually be able to drive on Buffalo, but they'll be longer drives with more opportunity to make mistakes. The flip side is that teams will have opportunity to keep Allen on the sidelines.

The biggest challenge going forward this season is to keep possession offensively and avoid 3 and outs early. Brady is doing a great job of this. Once Buffalo can start to operate with some pressure on the opponent to score, Babich can start to turn up some scheme options, particularly against the pass.

This type of team game is what McDermott was talking about when he said the team needs to play complimentary football. The Pats used to play like that, and they would regularly demolish opponents. Bills are starting to look like that.
The scary part for opponents has to be the fact that they were able to rally vs Arizona when the first half game script went all the Cards way up until the 2 minute drill and then the double dip was engaged.

The challenge that the Ravens will give them is that they can control the ball on the ground. They beat the Cowboys using a gameplan that was a lot like the one Buffalo used last year. It was 45 rushing attempts to only 15 pass attempts.

If Henry and Lamar can just grind drives out, especially early, the Bills offense will need to continue to be uber efficient.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Bills need DTs and a high end rush end to eventually replace Epenesa.

I'd also start looking at replacements for Edwards and a longer term LT (with a Dawkins move to LG as he ages).

Bills are winning the line of scrimmage. They need to make sure it stays that way.
I think next offseason will be way too soon for the Bills to consider moving Dawkins to LG. I expect that they either re-sign Edwards or look to FA for an upgrade.

I think DT, DE (if they opt to walk away from Miller), LB (do they walk away from Milano?), and CB (Douglas replacement (?) & Bernard extension) are all places that they could use that cap space next offseason.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The scary part for opponents has to be the fact that they were able to rally vs Arizona when the first half game script went all the Cards way up until the 2 minute drill and then the double dip was engaged.

The challenge that the Ravens will give them is that they can control the ball on the ground. They beat the Cowboys using a gameplan that was a lot like the one Buffalo used last year. It was 45 rushing attempts to only 15 pass attempts.

If Henry and Lamar can just grind drives out, especially early, the Bills offense will need to continue to be uber efficient.
Agree and this situation is where team complimentary football is going to be necessary. The defense won't necessarily be able to force the Ravens away from the run game. The offense will need to put some points up, while possessing the football, early in the game.

If I were drawing a script, I'd want some of the efficient opening drives drawn up by Brady, combined with some run blitzing and run schemes to get the Ravens off the field on at least one of their two opening drives. If Buffalo can score early, they'll take the Ravens away from the run a little bit. That'll play into Babich's hands defensively. From there, Brady will also need to add in some possession plays to keep the Ravens offense off the field.

It's a somewhat simlar game plan that they run against the Chiefs, except focused on the run instead of the pass.
I think next offseason will be way too soon for the Bills to consider moving Dawkins to LG. I expect that they either re-sign Edwards or look to FA for an upgrade.

I think DT, DE (if they opt to walk away from Miller), LB (do they walk away from Milano?), and CB (Douglas replacement (?) & Bernard extension) are all places that they could use that cap space next offseason.
For offensive line, I'd look for a future LT and draft him early. Start him at LG next season, then flip with Dawkins afterwards. A lot of good OTs were developed that way. A kid like Wyatt Milum from WVU would be a good addition who could develop that way.

For the draft, I'd be all over the defensive line. There are a bunch of 1-2 round edge rusher types who could be developed. There are only a couple 1T DTs available (Corleone, Stackhouse), and I'ld try to get one of them.

Reactions: buffalowing88

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
I couldnt have imagined a better start for the Bills and the franchise. Brady won me over last night with the scheme. Defense looks really good, despite having to lean on depth pieces (and losing their heartbeat safeties).

I cant remember a Bills team being so assertive physically as they have looked the last 2 games.

Big tests coming up. If they can walk out of it 5-1 (including a victory against the Jets), they will be in really good shape looking out in the Division, AFC, and the rest of the schedule.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

Two players the Bills have always excelled at stopping:
1) Jackson
2) Henry

Not worried.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Maybe Coleman thought the game started at the usual MNF football time!

I think Cook can catch the ball smoothly and is one of the better RBs to catch out of the backfield. BUT, his drops are usually the ones that come in from over your head dropped into a bucket. Arguably hard throws to catch.

That's all nit picking an EXCELLENT performance. I can't see how the line against the Ravens doesn't shift more the Bills way.

No injuries to report either right? It's also nice on a a short week coming up that some starters got to sit some snaps in the second half..

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
No injuries to report either right? It's also nice on a a short week coming up that some starters got to sit some snaps in the second half..
Cam Lewis went to the medical tent, but returned to the game

Swing tackle Tylan Grable went to the medical tent later in the game and did not return, forcing Brown back into the game

Last edited:

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
For the draft, I'd be all over the defensive line. There are a bunch of 1-2 round edge rusher types who could be developed. There are only a couple 1T DTs available (Corleone, Stackhouse), and I'ld try to get one of them.

I haven't been laser focused on him but it seems like Daquon has been a bit underwhelming this year compared to last season so far? I definitely wouldn't mind getting a big, young guy like Capeheart from Clemson or Walker from Kentucky. who could potentially be available in the late-20s.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
461250923_1545734532723769_3146491544380647294_n.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Two players the Bills have always excelled at stopping:
1) Jackson
2) Henry

Not worried.

We've never had to face them on the same team before. In Tennessee, we could focus on shutting Henry down and making Tannehill and their crap skill position players beat us.

In Baltimore, we could focus on shutting down Lamar and making their crap running game and crap WRs beat us.

Lamar doesn't have a crap running game and crap WRs anymore. Henry doesn't have a mediocre QB and crap skill players anymore.

This will be a stiff test.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
The challenge is that previously, Henry didn't have a QB that was a threat to run anywhere near what Lamar is and Lamar hasn't had a RB like Henry.
Ravens always excelled at running. Henry is only good once he hits a high speed. slow acceleration. I'd stack the box and dare Zay flowers to beat us.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I haven't been laser focused on him but it seems like Daquon has been a bit underwhelming this year compared to last season so far?

He (and Oliver) haven't put up a ton of counting stats, but they are wrecking the interior lines.

We'll see what Joe B says about this one -- but for The Athletic, he watches the All-22 and then ranks/assigns grades to all players who play more than 15 snaps. Against Miami, DaQuan and Oliver got A-s and ranked 2 and 3 on the team. He didn't do game 1, but given Arizona's lack of running success....I imagine he would have rated them highly.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
He (and Oliver) haven't put up a ton of counting stats, but they are wrecking the interior lines.

We'll see what Joe B says about this one -- but for The Athletic, he watches the All-22 and then ranks/assigns grades to all players who play more than 15 snaps. Against Miami, DaQuan and Oliver got A-s and ranked 2 and 3 on the team. He didn't do game 1, but given Arizona's lack of running success....I imagine he would have rated them highly.
Good to know. Sometimes I guess not hearing a guy's name just means he's doing his job.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

1. Buffalo Bills (3-0)
Last week: 2

Monday: Beat Jacksonville Jaguars 47-10

Surprise: That all of their offseason losses haven’t hurt

In fact, some of them might have helped. The Bills scored touchdowns on their first five possessions Monday night and led 34-3 at halftime. As long as Josh Allen is still around, anything seems possible. On Monday, Allen posted his fourth career game with 250 or more passing yards, four or more passing touchdowns and 40 or more rushing yards. That’s more than anyone in NFL history, and Allen had done it before the fourth quarter started. He finished 23-for-30 for 263 yards and four touchdowns, and Damar Hamlin grabbed his first career interception to make the night just about perfect for the Bills.

Up next: at Baltimore Ravens, Sunday, 8:20 p.m. ET

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad