Buffalo Bills Week 3 -- Buffalo (2-0) vs Jacksonville (0-1). Monday, 9/23 at 7:30 PM ET on ESPN (CBS Channel 4 in Buffalo)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The Eagles might’ve just field goal of death’d themselves. Threw an incompletion on 3rd and short while up 3 with about a buck 40 left and took the FG on 4th down.

Falcons take the lead with 34 seconds to go, but that’s a ton of time left to get into FG range for Philly with 2 TOs

Edit: Falcons seal it with a pick.

I’m surprised how often teams are ok with the kick to go up 6 late when it fully incentivizes the other team to go all out for the win. Obviously it worked for the Bills, and your opponent matters, but I’d rather go for it on 4th and short to end the game knowing that, if the offense doesn’t convert, teams play weirdly conservative when they only need the FG to tie

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The Eagles might’ve just field goal of death’d themselves. Threw an incompletion on 3rd and short while up 3 with about a buck 40 left and took the FG on 4th down.

Falcons take the lead with 34 seconds to go, but that’s a ton of time left to get into FG range for Philly with 2 TOs

Edit: Falcons seal it with a pick.

I’m surprised how often teams are ok with the kick to go up 6 late when it fully incentivizes the other team to go all out for the win. Obviously it worked for the Bills, and your opponent matters, but I’d rather go for it on 4th and short to end the game knowing that, if the offense doesn’t convert, teams play weirdly conservative when they only need the FG to tie
The biggest error was throwing the ball. Previous two plays, despite the Falcons knowing exactly what was coming, they still moved the ball 7 yards. Give it to Barkley, either he pushes forward and gets the 1st down, or he gets close enough that you can tush push and get it on 4th down. They did literally the one thing that gave the Falcons life: not only did they not get any yards, they stopped the clock for a team without timeouts. Just a completely unnecessary risk to take and inexcusable.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
As a slightly biased Panthers fan with the Bills being a close 2nd team I'm always so surprised at how much the media hates Josh Allen. Great start for Carr on the season but there is no way he's leading the mvp race over Allen.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
This game definitely has trap game written all over it.

And if they do get the job done, they have a 1-2 or 0-3 Baltimore team on the road the next week.

These next two games should be against really desperate opponents.

That picture is awesome.
Yes. Even though that particular angle of the city skyline doesn't appear to have changed much in some 50+ years.

Of course I'm showing my age since I still refer to the buildings under their 70's monikers like City Hall, Statler Hilton Niagara Mohawk, Buffalo Savings Bank, etc....

lol....

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
As a slightly biased Panthers fan with the Bills being a close 2nd team I'm always so surprised at how much the media hates Josh Allen. Great start for Carr on the season but there is no way he's leading the mvp race over Allen.

I mean, look no further than MVP voting last year. Cover up the win-loss record, and I don’t see how you can justify Jackson getting even a single vote over Allen, much less being the near unanimous pick.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
The biggest error was throwing the ball. Previous two plays, despite the Falcons knowing exactly what was coming, they still moved the ball 7 yards. Give it to Barkley, either he pushes forward and gets the 1st down, or he gets close enough that you can tush push and get it on 4th down. They did literally the one thing that gave the Falcons life: not only did they not get any yards, they stopped the clock for a team without timeouts. Just a completely unnecessary risk to take and inexcusable.
The eagles could have done a lot of things differently to pull a W out. Barkley dropping the pass was a pretty big one. Playing bend-and-break defense is another one.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Allen isn’t in the MVP race right now. Mostly because he was barely needed in the Miami game. And in the Cardinals game, where you can make best case for Allen, the defense also played at a great level once they figured Arizona out, and carried that through vs Miami.

I would absolutely put Carr as one of the candidates above Allen if that is the discussion.

And there’s nothing wrong with Buffalo not needing Allen at a MVP level right now.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

It is a great start to the parlay bet on the DE position of Von getting back to being effective and Groot taking a step.

Allen isn’t in the MVP race right now. Mostly because he was barely needed in the Miami game. And in the Cardinals game, where you can make best case for Allen, the defense also played at a great level once they figured Arizona out, and carried that through vs Miami.

I would absolutely put Carr as one of the candidates above Allen if that is the discussion.

And there’s nothing wrong with Buffalo not needing Allen at a MVP level right now.
YearMVPYdsTDsWinsSeedPF Rank
2023​
Lamar Jackson
3678​
24​
13​
1​
4​
2022​
Patrick Mahomes
5250​
41​
14​
1​
1​
2021​
Aaron Rodgers
4115​
37​
13​
1​
10​
2020​
Aaron Rodgers
4299​
48​
13​
1​
1​
2019​
Lamar Jackson
3127​
36​
14​
1​
1​
2018​
Patrick Mahomes
5097​
50​
12​
1​
1​
2017​
Tom Brady
4577​
32​
13​
1​
2​
2016​
Matt Ryan
4944​
38​
11​
2​
1​
2015​
Cam Newton
3837​
35​
15​
1​
1​
2014​
Aaron Rodgers
4381​
38​
12​
2​
1​

If the Bills get the 1 seed, then Josh Allen will be a strong MVP candidate given that over the past 10 years, the MVP has gone to a QB on one of the 1 seeds 8 out of 10 times.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Bills record since Brady took over:

Jets W
Eagles L
Chiefs W
Cowboys W
Chargers W
Pats W
Dolphins W

PLAYOFFS
Steelers W
Chiefs L

Cards W
Dolphins W

9-2 with one of those losses being one of the worst officiated games I've seens since the Tampa game in 2021. Buffalo beat good teams and mid teams during that run. Brady running the ball more has limited the turnovers. I think this team has found a consistency they've lacked for a bit. Let's see if they prove me right on Monday!

Reactions: Dingo44

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

It is a great start to the parlay bet on the DE position of Von getting back to being effective and Groot taking a step.

YearMVPYdsTDsWinsSeedPF Rank
2023​
Lamar Jackson
3678​
24​
13​
1​
4​
2022​
Patrick Mahomes
5250​
41​
14​
1​
1​
2021​
Aaron Rodgers
4115​
37​
13​
1​
10​
2020​
Aaron Rodgers
4299​
48​
13​
1​
1​
2019​
Lamar Jackson
3127​
36​
14​
1​
1​
2018​
Patrick Mahomes
5097​
50​
12​
1​
1​
2017​
Tom Brady
4577​
32​
13​
1​
2​
2016​
Matt Ryan
4944​
38​
11​
2​
1​
2015​
Cam Newton
3837​
35​
15​
1​
1​
2014​
Aaron Rodgers
4381​
38​
12​
2​
1​

If the Bills get the 1 seed, then Josh Allen will be a strong MVP candidate given that over the past 10 years, the MVP has gone to a QB on one of the 1 seeds 8 out of 10 times.
And that is a discussion for when that happens later in the season. But for right now, through 2 games, I think Carr should be in the VERY EARLY MVP talks based on his play through 2 games so far. Allen has 1 game to which he played at the level, but the Miami game is was just a passenger (there's nothing wrong with that).

Carr has earned to be in the early conversations so far for MVP.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I don't think the Bills will take the Jags lightly the way they did a couple years ago, and there's no funky travel at play this time. Biggest questions to me are:

-If the run game isn't working as well given the Jags' relatively stout d-line, can Allen continue to play patiently, take the underneath and intermediate plays to stay on schedule/ahead of the sticks, and avoid forcing long plays that either result in INTs or sacks from him trying to wait for deep stuff to open up? No problem with him taking shots downfield if the plays are there to be made, but he's gotta be smart about it.

-Can the Bills contain Lawrence as a runner? It seems like QBs whose mobility is a secondary concern (compared to the likes of Murray or Jackson) often gash them by scrambling for big gains on critical downs, or escaping should-be sacks and getting completions out of broken plays.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
And that is a discussion for when that happens later in the season. But for right now, through 2 games, I think Carr should be in the VERY EARLY MVP talks based on his play through 2 games so far. Allen has 1 game to which he played at the level, but the Miami game is was just a passenger (there's nothing wrong with that).

Carr has earned to be in the early conversations so far for MVP.
Carr is in the mix because his team is 2-0 and their offensive numbers are bonkers.

But, Mahomes and Allen are in the conversation given their teams starting 2-0. And Mahomes and Allen are more likely to have teams that continue to win when compared to the Saints.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I don't think the Bills will take the Jags lightly the way they did a couple years ago, and there's no funky travel at play this time. Biggest questions to me are:

-If the run game isn't working as well given the Jags' relatively stout d-line, can Allen continue to play patiently, take the underneath and intermediate plays to stay on schedule/ahead of the sticks, and avoid forcing long plays that either result in INTs or sacks from him trying to wait for deep stuff to open up? No problem with him taking shots downfield if the plays are there to be made, but he's gotta be smart about it.

-Can the Bills contain Lawrence as a runner? It seems like QBs whose mobility is a secondary concern (compared to the likes of Murray or Jackson) often gash them by scrambling for big gains on critical downs, or escaping should-be sacks and getting completions out of broken plays.
the thought of a 7 hour flight and 5 hour time change being tough on 20 years old still baffles me.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park

Yes, it does seem like we get dagger-type running plays from guys like Mahomes and Lawrence. I'm not sure it's something you can game-plan around against them but maybe needs some work from the coaches in practice this week.

I feel a little better about this game than last year. Besides the travel, they no longer have Calvin Ridley who killed us last year. I'm confident that Benford and Douglas can do well against Thomas Jr. and Gabe on the outside. We'll need a nice game from the safeties and whomever plays nickel against Kirk.

I'd be most worried about Etienne to be honest. So far this year, we've been gashed by screen plays and other throws to RB's. Etienne is quick and could pick up big chunk plays on us.

Reactions: kirby11

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Carr is in the mix because his team is 2-0 and their offensive numbers are bonkers.

But, Mahomes and Allen are in the conversation given their teams starting 2-0. And Mahomes and Allen are more likely to have teams that continue to win when compared to the Saints.
Carr is in the mix because his team is 2-0, he is 1st in Rating, t-1st in TDs, and their offensive numbers are bonkers.

If you want to make the case Mahomes and Allen are in the conversation because of where their teams are right now, then fine, but I was originally arguing against the claim that Carr wasn't ahead of Allen, when he's outperformed Allen and Mahomes quite a bit, and a bigger reason why their team is undefeated. The only other person that probably has a bigger case for the top spot for MVP, it would be Baker right now, in terms of QB.

The quote in question/argument:

...Great start for Carr on the season but there is no way he's leading the mvp race over Allen.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Carr is in the mix because his team is 2-0, he is 1st in Rating, t-1st in TDs, and their offensive numbers are bonkers.

If you want to make the case Mahomes and Allen are in the conversation because of where their teams are right now, then fine, but I was originally arguing against the claim that Carr wasn't ahead of Allen, when he's outperformed Allen and Mahomes quite a bit, and a bigger reason why their team is undefeated. The only other person that probably has a bigger case for the top spot for MVP, it would be Baker right now, in terms of QB.

And my argument is that just looking at offensive stats alone is not how the AP MVP voting has gone over the past decade.

Bruce Nolan may repeat over and over again that wins are not a QB stat. But, the AP MVP voters have not internalized that message.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

Wait, what? Carr has one more total TD, and 45 more total yards? Unless I’m missing something. And that includes a game against the panthers.

And framing Allen as a passenger for the Miami game is a bit wild. Yea, he didn’t have to anything in the second half, but he was damn good in the first half. Made some incredible throws and was a foot away from from having a second TD on the huge Ty Johnson pass where he got tackled at the one.

And why is Allen being lumped in with Mahomes. Mahomes stats are pedestrian this year and is an MVP candidate because of his team record and who he is and what we know he will do. But Allen has been phenomenal this year, including statistically.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
And my argument is that just looking at offensive stats alone is not how the AP MVP voting has gone over the past decade.

Bruce Nolan may repeat over and over again that wins are not a QB stat. But, the AP MVP voters have not internalized that message.

Wait, what? Carr has one more total TD, and 45 more total yards? Unless I’m missing something. And that includes a game against the panthers.

And framing Allen as a passenger for the Miami game is a bit wild. Yea, he didn’t have to anything in the sexond half, but he was damn good in the first half. Made some incredible throws and was a foot away from from having a second TD on the huge Ty Johnson pass where he got tackled at the one.
Not just looking at offensive statistics, but it's a part of the puzzle and why I have Carr over Allen. He's been a bigger reason IMO, in BOTH of New Orlean's wins than Allen. Allen was instrumental in the Arizona game, but I felt the defense and the running game were far more important factors in Buffalo winning vs Miami. And yes, New Orleans' running game was impactful in the Dallas game, but I still felt Carr had a bigger impact than Allen had in their game 2.

Now, that's right now and those are the only two games we can factor in, in the MVP race at this point. I'd expect that things will change later into the season, but at the complete of week 2, I have Carr ahead of Allen in the MVP race.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Not just looking at offensive statistics, but it's a part of the puzzle and why I have Carr over Allen. He's been a bigger reason IMO, in BOTH of New Orlean's wins than Allen. Allen was instrumental in the Arizona game, but I felt the defense and the running game were far more important factors in Buffalo winning vs Miami. And yes, New Orleans' running game was impactful in the Dallas game, but I still felt Carr had a bigger impact than Allen had in their game 2.

Now, that's right now and those are the only two games we can factor in, in the MVP race at this point. I'd expect that things will change later into the season, but at the complete of week 2, I have Carr ahead of Allen in the MVP race.

I think that’s a very fair opinion. I just think Allen is closer behind him as you were suggesting and that limping him in with Mahomes’s first two games wasn’t totally fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad