News Article: WEEI - Charlie Jacobs says David Backes is Bruins’ third-line center

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I hate the price of beers at the Garden as much as the next guy, but Jacobs family can't win. They don't say anything about what's happening with the team it's: "Jacobs doesn't care about hockey, he only cares about revenue." He says something about hockey it's: "Why does anyone listen to Jacobs? He shouldn't be talking about hockey operations."
Frankly, I'm willing to bet being the third generation in a family whose had business in hockey, Charlie knows a thing or two about the game.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I hate the price of beers at the Garden as much as the next guy, but Jacobs family can't win. They don't say anything about what's happening with the team it's: "Jacobs doesn't care about hockey, he only cares about revenue." He says something about hockey it's: "Why does anyone listen to Jacobs? He shouldn't be talking about hockey operations."
Frankly, I'm willing to bet being the third generation in a family whose had business in hockey, Charlie knows a thing or two about the game.

This.

Guy makes a comment during a local telethon and all of a sudden that becomes, "he's meddling, has a GM already, and is filling out the lineup cards".

:laugh:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Kettle one and lemonaid $8.50 in 2011 Cup run- now $11.

The beer prices are a joke - I rarely buy anymore

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
In fairness to Charlie he was on the radio telethon and doing a good thing.

Also as a going on 33 or 34 year season ticket holder and been going regularly since Jacobs bought it Charlie is the best thing that has happened

He loves the Bruins and wants to win - badly

He also plays pick up hockey and my time over there I learned Pocket Jacobs actually knows hockey well.

He may not be the most articulate but he spends and put a lot of money into that building and team and so far they have taken care of their long standing fans with loyalty. He may be brutal to all of you but he's treated me well and when I had issues I got results and fast. He actually was the one in a couple of cases.

Overall he's a really good owner - he wants to win!! He lives here and cares

Make no mistake...I'm not saying he made a mistake saying what he said. He can say what he wants, and obviously it's great to see him helping a good cause. I was just asking all of us, much like at the trade deadline when GM's start giving quotes, to not put any weight on what he said.

The people here who either do or don't want Backes playing center will take this quote from a non-hockey guy and run with it to defend their position or rail against it, when what he says has no bearing. Sure, he probably got the info from Sweeney and co., but if they change their minds it's not like they care what Charlie thinks.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Kettle one and lemonaid $8.50 in 2011 Cup run- now $11.

The beer prices are a joke - I rarely buy anymore

wow I bet taking your whole family to a game sets you back pretty well

I found a hot dog vendor outside the bell center which has 3 dogs for 5$. I also get beer at a pub before hand so Im only really inclined to buy 1 beer inside the arena.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston

I found a hot dog vendor outside the bell center which has 3 dogs for 5$. I also get beer at a pub before hand so Im only really inclined to buy 1 beer inside the arena.

Yup eat and drink outside. **** if you're really on a budget walk to Coogans for your desired pregame beverages.

But I agree overall that CJacobs couldn't win regardless of what he says, and I don't feel bad about it. I'll judge the lines once I see what CJ rolls.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Yup eat and drink outside. **** if you're really on a budget walk to Coogans for your desired pregame beverages.

But I agree overall that CJacobs couldn't win regardless of what he says, and I don't feel bad about it. I'll judge the lines once I see what CJ rolls.

I'll down a tumbler or 2 of beer from Halftime before the game. That keeps me in a good mood for most of the game.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I'll down a tumbler or 2 of beer from Halftime before the game. That keeps me in a good mood for most of the game.

Love to pre-game it at halftime. The beers there are like 32 ounces. Makes the ones in the Garden feel like you're drinking out of dixie cups.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I hope we dont give anything away to land KS. Wants to be a Ranger, he won't re-sign, I want guarantees if anything or worth is being given up for him. ****ing Rangers ****

This X 1,000,000. I want no part of a rental Shattenkirk, given how much the Bruins would have to give up to get him. Either have him sign a new deal or extension as part of a trade or pass on him.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

I eat before I go. If I'm hungry I grab pizza. I can live for years eating peanut butter & jelly or pizza.

My refrigerator has plenty of beer in if that feels free- I don't need to drink at a game unless it's the Red Sox

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

The best part of that argument is the failure to realize that a good hockey team begets more revenues.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The one and only food I love at the Garden are the hot dogs. I always make it a point to have a hot dog when I attend a game.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The one and only food I love at the Garden are the hot dogs. I always make it a point to have a hot dog when I attend a game.

The 13 year old in me thinks there is a joke in hear somewhere.

The 50 year old me says that I have been spending too much time listening to my 13 year old and his friends this summer...

;):laugh:

High five Tom

Nov 11, 2012
I think the lines will go through lots of changes over the first few weeks. I still think we need another experienced winger either via trade or FA. besides that i like our four lines for the most part. Lots of ????? on D though. That is what will make or break us this season.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
I think the lines will go through lots of changes over the first few weeks. I still think we need another experienced winger either via trade or FA. besides that i like our four lines for the most part. Lots of ????? on D though. That is what will make or break us this season.

At this point its going to be 2015-16 bruins pt 2 the Sweeney-Bugaloo. Let the rookies take the roles (hopefully)with the lineup we have now being what we go into the season with unless a magnificent trade comes along. Put spooner on a wing until he sticks or is traded. Let heinen vatrano, griffith czarnik fight for spots next to dk, bergy and backes. hopefully chiller is a regular in the top 4 and morrow settles down.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I honestly do not understand why so many are against this. Backes is easily at his most effective as a center, and slotting him in at center gives you a ton of match-up opportunities.

Just put Spoons on Marchand/Bergeron's RW. Playing off-wing/out of position doesn't matter at all when you're playing with those two, and Spooner's skill-set can actually aid the other two as well. It really is as simple as that.

Smart decision. I'd be against Backes playing on the wing.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
I honestly do not understand why so many are against this. Backes is easily at his most effective as a center, and slotting him in at center gives you a ton of match-up opportunities.

Just put Spoons on Marchand/Bergeron's RW. Playing off-wing/out of position doesn't matter at all when you're playing with those two, and Spooner's skill-set can actually aid the other two as well. It really is as simple as that.

Smart decision. I'd be against Backes playing on the wing.

Many Blues fans said he played much better at rw recently. He may be better defensively at center but it'd be great in the o-zone if he could slide to the wing.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The 13 year old in me thinks there is a joke in hear somewhere.

The 50 year old me says that I have been spending too much time listening to my 13 year old and his friends this summer...

;):laugh:

I have a 17 year old nephew and I know exactly what you mean :naughty::laugh:

Damn I can't believe he's 17 years old....:cry::cry:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Just when you think you know it all another member of Bruins management tells the fans something to reaffirm that there is no clear direction here with this team.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Yeah you know why no one else can say that, Charlie? It's because everyone else knows that having three over-30 6+ mil centers is bad asset management.

I like Backes and am happy to have him on the team, but putting him at 3C is bad utilization. I know the Bruins whole thing is to evenly rotate their three lines, but I just don't see a scenario where they can make that 3rd line good enough to justify playing them as often as Bergeron/Krejci's lines and actually have Backes earn that 6 mil contract. He belongs alongside Bergeron and Marchand, especially if they end up keeping Spooner...let some of the younger guys play on that third line.

Wrong on both account.

Backes will likely play C and W beside Bergy/Krejci depending of the score/period/opponent, kill penalty and be on either PP unit.

He'll be top-4 F on the team for icetime with Bergy, Krejci and Marchand.

Just like Loui wasn't a 3rd liner when he played with Kelly and Yeti two years ago, Backes won't be a 3rd liner if he plays C along with Bergy+Krejci.

Top-4 in icetime aren't 3rd line players...

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Why are we worried about what Charlie says on a sports show? Chances are that Clode will decide.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Just when you think you know it all another member of Bruins management tells the fans something to reaffirm that there is no clear direction here with this team.

Please explain...

Seriously.

How does Charlie Jacobs saying something during the Jimmy Fund telethon mean that there is no clear direction? I highly doubt they consult him to do the lineups, and if Backes is indeed the 3rd line C, there are arguments to be made about why that would be a good thing.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

this post would bring a tear to JJ's eye and remind him of why he got into hockey in the first place. :laugh:

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Wrong on both account.

Backes will likely play C and W beside Bergy/Krejci depending of the score/period/opponent, kill penalty and be on either PP unit.

He'll be top-4 F on the team for icetime with Bergy, Krejci and Marchand.

Just like Loui wasn't a 3rd liner when he played with Kelly and Yeti two years ago, Backes won't be a 3rd liner if he plays C along with Bergy+Krejci.

Top-4 in icetime aren't 3rd line players...

I'm sure what you said is what will probably happen regardless of what me or you or anyone else believes, I just don't think it's the best utilization or what's necessarily best for the team going forward.

I'm not going to rehash all of what I said yesterday in replies to that, you can go back and read that if you want, but specifically to the bolded, that was a completely different team than what we have now. With Lucic and Iginla alongside Krejci on the first line, and a breakout year from Reilly Smith, it was fine to leave Loui on that third line and make them a more defensive unit because those top two lines were powerhouses. Compare that to last year, which is already less than what we have this year, where we practically had to move Loui up because the top two lines were under-performing. It'd be a whole different story if we had kept Loui too, but we didn't, so now the plan is to replace a 30-goal scoring 1LW by moving up the 3LW, signing a good 3C and moving the incumbent 3C over to wing where he may or may not succeed? We saw last year what happens in that scenario, and it was a large part of why we missed the playoffs (again).

I get the idea of spreading your better players out, and I get the idea of breaking your kids in slowly. But that only works if you have the pieces to support it, and last year proved we don't. If you have all these scenarios where Backes would need to move up to the top 6 anyways, just put him there in the first place. If management is intent on this lineup being good enough to make the playoffs, stop undermining the players and put them in positions where they can actually succeed. As I said earlier today, it's Spooner's third year, Pastrnak's third year, and Vatrano's second...we've seen what happens when you shelter them, now it's time to unchain them and see what you actually have there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad