News Article: WEEI - Charlie Jacobs says David Backes is Bruins’ third-line center

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Are we really going to act like what this guy says matters? Honestly. This is meaningless. Charlie couldn't explain offsides. Let's not get worked up over how he sees the lines.

I'm sorry but I am so tired of these clowns making fools of themselves. This guy babbles in the company of two writers and a camera. He's in his position because his dad is filthy rich. His opinion on who plays third line center is worth less than a hot dog vendors. The last thing we need to do is build a 20 page thread on the assumption that what he says matters.
You think that he hasn't spoken with Sweeney and Julien about the lines? You think Sweeney doesn't have to justify why he wants to sign a major free agent to the guy who's cutting the check?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
When you look at the possession numbers and the traditional numbers of the third/fourth line at ES last year, it's a wonder we were as close to making a playoff spot as we were. I don't think crossing your fingers at the hope that the kids will learn on the fly on one line togetrher is the way to go; they all have skill, but it's most likely the recipe of being a disaster.

Agree with the approach or not, the reality here is the Bruins don't want to do the complete rebuild model but instead want to do a soft roll out approach with slowly integrating youth, but staying competitive at the same time. Asking Spooner to basically carry a rookie and a kid with less than 40 games played would be too much to put on his shoulders IMO.

You are killing it in this thread, btw.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't think so.

As I said... I think Bergeron and Marchand can play with just about anyone.

And I also think there's at least some evidence to suggest that Beleskey-Krejci-Pastrnak could also be a fairly effective line.

Disagree.

I think if there are times when CJ wants to play Backes in the Top 6 in certain situations, then that's fine. But a full-time line of Vatrano-Spooner-Heinen would put immense pressure on that Top 6 to produce. They'd fall into the same trap they did last year - a 3rd line that couldn't start in their own defensive zone, and who couldn't be trusted to step on the ice late in close games.

Furthermore, I don't want three kids playing together, picking up each other's bad habits.

You are also killing it in this thread.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Are we really going to act like what this guy says matters? Honestly. This is meaningless. Charlie couldn't explain offsides. Let's not get worked up over how he sees the lines.

I'm sorry but I am so tired of these clowns making fools of themselves. This guy babbles in the company of two writers and a camera. He's in his position because his dad is filthy rich. His opinion on who plays third line center is worth less than a hot dog vendors. The last thing we need to do is build a 20 page thread on the assumption that what he says matters.

Charlie is signing the paychecks for all Bruins employees so yes what he says matters.

I would bet a years pay he could not explain forechecking but he is the boss.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
I don't think so.

As I said... I think Bergeron and Marchand can play with just about anyone.

And I also think there's at least some evidence to suggest that Beleskey-Krejci-Pastrnak could also be a fairly effective line.

From what I remember of Beleskey-Krejci-Pastrnak last year, yeah I think they're a perfectly good line, as is Marchand-Bergeron-whoever to your point. But is that really the best use for those guys, and what's best for the team moving forward? To me, we've already seen exactly what happens there, especially since there doesn't appear to be D help coming...it's a playoff miss. And I'd venture to guess that's why they ended up moving Eriksson alongside Krejci for most of the season anyways, because that top 6 wasn't strong enough to compete with their counterparts.

Beleskey replacing Eriksson was and is a downgrade, and if you have Backes at center, that means we're starting a rookie alongside Marchand/Bergeron, which while okay, is still a downgrade from Seguin, Recchi, or even Reilly Smith being there in the past. The point being, Backes at 3C means a weaker top 6 than we had last year or the year before, both times that we missed the playoffs. Does Backes at 3C improve the 3rd line enough to offset the drop-off of the top two lines? I really don't think it does, not if it means playing Spooner on the wing, or having Hayes on that line at all.

Disagree.

I think if there are times when CJ wants to play Backes in the Top 6 in certain situations, then that's fine. But a full-time line of Vatrano-Spooner-Heinen would put immense pressure on that Top 6 to produce. They'd fall into the same trap they did last year - a 3rd line that couldn't start in their own defensive zone, and who couldn't be trusted to step on the ice late in close games.

Furthermore, I don't want three kids playing together, picking up each other's bad habits.

It's obviously not ideal to play 3 kids together on that 3rd line, but I don't think that puts any more pressure on the top lines to produce than they already would have...Backes at 3C means a more defensive 3rd line, so the top 6 would have to carry the scoring load anyways, only now with downgraded players. Barring the unavoidable ones, they wouldn't necessarily need to have defensive zone starts at all because that's a legit scoring line, which to me was the real cause for the "trap" they ran into last year -- that line was so tied down with anchors like Hayes that they had trouble producing and that's when the top 6 got exposed. Vatrano-Spooner-Heinen (or Pastrnak if you prefer sticking Backes with Krejci) would be too talented to not produce, even if they are a bit defensively liable.

I guess it really comes down to Spooner and whatever progress he's made. It remains to be seen whether he can be anywhere as close to effective on wing as he is at center, so then you have to figure out what to do with him. As I mentioned to VeddarRants/Bridges31, I think it's a mistake to move him now at this level of value (or in general), and honestly I think it's a mistake to move a player who shows talent at center to wing (Seguin being a great example of why that's not always the best route). Going into his third year, it's time to see what the kid is made of. Pushing him to the wing, or saddling him with a slow defensive type that doesn't fit his playing style doesn't help him at all...give him some actual players and see how it goes.

Last edited:

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
billy-madison.jpg

:laugh:

"I forgot to do something today."

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Don't see what the big deal is ... it's always been assumed he will play at least some C. And FWIW, I agree with him that Bergeron-Krejci-Backes is arguably the best center depth in the east.

It's not like Ryan Spooner just saw this and was like ... "ahhh #$%, Backes is a Center?!"

I prefer Bergeron-Krejci-Backes-Moore. Real strong down the middle.

PepeBostones

Mar 3, 2002
- Whenever Charlie Jacobs has something to say regarding the Bruins hockey operations, just don't pay attention.

- The Bruins signing of Dominic Moore tells me what I suspected all summer. David Krejci is far from ready to play a regular season game.

- The Bruins have an idea what to do with Ryan Spooner. Probably hope to trade him to Anaheim for Cam Fowler or to St. Louis for Kevin Shattenkirk or to Minnesota for Matt Dumba.

- The most logical choice would be to Anaheim who needs a young cheap forward who can score and they also have about 10 defensemen who can play regularly in the NHL. Cam Fowler can easily play 25+ minutes a game.

- Otherwise they probably would have signed a defenseman like Kyle Quincey or Kris Russell by now

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
On Tuesday, the CEO may have spilled the beans. Participating in the WEEI/NESN Jimmy Fund radio telethon, Charlie Jacobs used the Bruins’ depth at center — naming Backes and not incumbent third-line pivot Ryan Spooner — as a primary reason as to why he feels the Bruins will be improved this season.

“We’ve got Bergeron, [David] Krejci and Backes as our first three centers. Think about that,†Jacobs said. “I don’t know if there’s a team in the Eastern Conference that is [as] three-deep at center.â€

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/b...ays-david-backes-is-bruins-third-line-center/

Don`t talk anymore Charlie

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

I was hoping for the 20 pages myself lol some clever Charlie posts out there

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
Charlie Jacobs accurately names the three best centers on the team. And we are upset about this? I don't get it.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
In fairness to Charlie he was on the radio telethon and doing a good thing.

Also as a going on 33 or 34 year season ticket holder and been going regularly since Jacobs bought it Charlie is the best thing that has happened

He loves the Bruins and wants to win - badly

He also plays pick up hockey and my time over there I learned Pocket Jacobs actually knows hockey well.

He may not be the most articulate but he spends and put a lot of money into that building and team and so far they have taken care of their long standing fans with loyalty. He may be brutal to all of you but he's treated me well and when I had issues I got results and fast. He actually was the one in a couple of cases.

Overall he's a really good owner - he wants to win!! He lives here and cares

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
- Whenever Charlie Jacobs has something to say regarding the Bruins hockey operations, just don't pay attention.

- The Bruins signing of Dominic Moore tells me what I suspected all summer. David Krejci is far from ready to play a regular season game.

- The Bruins have an idea what to do with Ryan Spooner. Probably hope to trade him to Anaheim for Cam Fowler or to St. Louis for Kevin Shattenkirk or to Minnesota for Matt Dumba.

- The most logical choice would be to Anaheim who needs a young cheap forward who can score and they also have about 10 defensemen who can play regularly in the NHL. Cam Fowler can easily play 25+ minutes a game.

- Otherwise they probably would have signed a defenseman like Kyle Quincey or Kris Russell by now

I don't put much stock into what comes out of Charlie's mouth regards to hockey ops.

But is anyone surprised by this? People thinking Spooner was still going to be playing 3rd line C with Backes here just kidding themselves. There needs to be a moratorium on line-up proposals with Spooner as 3rd line C. Just ain't happening.

Kemppainen might of been one of the worst Bruins I've had to endure watching in the last decade. And for as bad as he was, even he bumped Spooner to the wing at times under Claude.

What do you think Claude will do now that he has a former Selke nominee at his disposal?

I'd say your looking at least and 80/20 split for Backes and Spooner at 3rd line C. Could end up closer to 90/10.

That is if Spooner is even still here come October.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
In fairness to Charlie he was on the radio telethon and doing a good thing.

Also as a going on 33 or 34 year season ticket holder and been going regularly since Jacobs bought it Charlie is the best thing that has happened

He loves the Bruins and wants to win - badly

He also plays pick up hockey and my time over there I learned Pocket Jacobs actually knows hockey well.

He may not be the most articulate but he spends and put a lot of money into that building and team and so far they have taken care of their long standing fans with loyalty

Overall he's a really good owner - he wants to win!! He lives here and cares

That's all fine and well Dan. And good for him.

But do we really want an owner that is "meddling" for a lack of a better term?

He has a GM in Don Sweeney. He pays him to do that job as he sees fit. He should let him do it as should Neely. IMO, the Bruins would be much better off. I truly wonder what Sweeney is thinking after hearing those comments. If it wasn't in Sweeney's plan, is it going to be forced on him now because the owner said it publicly?

You've been around long enough to see what happens when an owner gets to involved way back to the Ballard days.

As the old saying goes...too many chiefs....

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

He has a GM in Don Sweeney. He pays him to do that job as he sees fit. He should let him do it as should Neely. IMO, the Bruins would be much better off. I truly wonder what Sweeney is thinking after hearing those comments. If it wasn't in Sweeney's plan, is it going to be forced on him now because the owner said it publicly?

You've been around long enough to see what happens when an owner gets to involved way back to the Ballard days.

would have been fine if he just said something like "nice to have 3 quality guys like Bergy/DK and Backes where we have the luxury in shifting DB to the middle on the 3rd line if/when warranted". I`d be fine with that, but like you, it "appears" (maybe I interpreted this incorrect) that he is saying without question Backes is the 3rd line C

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

As long as he lets Sweeney JFJ and Bradley run team - Neely needs to be president not making deals or player suggestions - he's the issue

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Charlie is signing the paychecks for all Bruins employees so yes what he says matters.

I would bet a years pay he could not explain forechecking but he is the boss.

To be clear, surely the coach and GM gave him an idea of where Backes would play and he's just repeating it. But those guys also told the media, fans and everybody where they saw him, and Backes told us himself. What doesn't matter a lick is where Charlie thinks he should play, and what also doesn't matter a lick is Charlie's hockey opinion to any of the people who actually make the decision, like the coach and GM. So I'm just pointing out that his comments aren't news.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
would have been fine if he just said something like "nice to have 3 quality guys like Bergy/DK and Backes where we have the luxury in shifting DB to the middle on the 3rd line if/when warranted". I`d be fine with that, but like you, it "appears" (maybe I interpreted this incorrect) that he is saying without question Backes is the 3rd line C

I have to admit I didn't realize that comment would be such a huge issue :laugh:

Belichick is right say nothing and be a d bag :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad