Rumor: Weegar to Ottawa?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Is Ottawa taking a page from the Toronto strategy, build a solid team with no goalie
Forsberg was serviceable enough last season. #1 goalies are tricky and the only realistic way to get one is to hope one of yours develops into one. How many goalies in the NHL right now can even be considered real #1 goalies and how many of those are on the market? I don't think the position has ever been as volatile as it is today.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Forsberg was serviceable enough last season. #1 goalies are tricky and the only realistic way to get one is to hope one of yours develops into one. How many goalies in the NHL right now can even be considered real #1 goalies and how many of those are on the market? I don't think the position has ever been as volatile as it is today.
Søgaard is 6'8 and 21, have to think he progresses well? Guy just needs to bulk a bit and he'll cover 3/4 of the net.
How did his year go?

Goalie market is always open each year.
Would love to see MAF take a chance there with Forsberg to chase a playoff run?

Assuming Murray is moved

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
At least from a salary cap perspective... You have $20M in space right now after the DeBrincat trade. Assuming Norris gets ~5M, while Formenton and Joseph get ~$2.5M bridges, you'd still have $10M left in space. Should be plenty for Giroux and Weegar even if no other $$ go out.

If you can unload one of Hamonic or Zaitsev, you've got all kinds of room.

The Sens have an internal salary cap. I'm not sure what the number is, but it's definitely lower than 82.5M.

I recall hearing the Sens might have the green light to spend around 76M this year due to higher than expected ticket sales, but that may have just been a rumour.

I'd be shocked if there was enough money in the budget long-term to add all 3 of them in addition to re-signing Norris and Formenton.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The Sens have an internal salary cap. I'm not sure what the number is, but it's definitely lower than 82.5M.

I recall hearing the Sens might have the green light to spend around 76M this year due to higher than expected ticket sales, but that may have just been a rumour.

I'd be shocked if there was enough money in the budget long-term to add all 3 of them in addition to re-signing Norris and Formenton.
Formenton would be coming to Florida so no need to worry about him ;)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Imagine forming such absurd opinion on a sample size of 10 games :laugh:

Never change HF
Imagine thinking Weegar wasn't god awful in the playoffs, and just plain bad during the season.

Stop acting like you know Weegar better than me, because you obviously don't.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Formenton would be coming to Florida so no need to worry about him ;)
Not sure you want Formenton/Batherson, be careful what you wish for.

They could be one of the John Does of the Hockey Canada 2018 scandal. I'd not trade for either until they release something saying otherwise (like Mete, Makar and Gadjovic). They have released nothing yet, which certainly raises suspicions.

They could very well be barred from ever playing pro if it is found out they were in this collective rape.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Another thing is unfortunately many goalies are bipolar in the sense that one year they play like Vezina caliber elites, and next year they're waiver/buyout fodder.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

They could be one of the John Does of the Hockey Canada 2018 scandal. I'd not trade for either until they release something saying otherwise (like Mete, Makar and Gadjovic). They have released nothing yet, which certainly raises suspicions.

They could very well be barred from ever playing pro if it is found out they were in this collective rape.
Didn't even think of that, good point.

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021

As bad and disgusting as the incident was, if it's revealed they were a part of it I think the worst that happens is that they are shamed (rightfully so) for 1-2 years then it's in the rearview mirror.

If the Sens let go Formenton/Batherson and don't get anything in return, that will set back the franchise years and they'll be a bottom 10 team for the forseeable future, PD and ownership can't afford that.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
oh brother

return to reality
How about you return to reality?

Great plays at crunch time by Weegar.

If you want me to explain to you why Weegar was terrible on those plays, I can, or other Panthers fans can help you I'm sure

As bad and disgusting as the incident was, if it's revealed they were a part of it I think the worst that happens is that they are shamed (rightfully so) for 1-2 years then it's in the rearview mirror.

If the Sens let go Formenton/Batherson and don't get anything in return, that will set back the franchise years and they'll be a bottom 10 team for the forseeable future, PD and ownership can't afford that.
A "gang rape" is not something that gets forgotten in 2 years.

If it gets known they were part of it, no way they can play in the NHL (or any respectful professional hockey league for that matter) ever again.

No frickin way.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Interesting for sure, maybe post it and see what can be done with the 3 fan bases?
I was the one who posted it. I've been championing something along the lines of the below for months.

to Ottawa: Weegar, Reinhart
to Arizona: 7th OA, Samoskevich
to Florida: Chychrun, 39th OA

Obviously this is over.

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
How about you return to reality?

Great plays at crunch time by Weegar.

If you want me to explain to you why Weegar was terrible on those plays, I can, or other Panthers fans can help you I'm sure

A "gang rape" is not something that gets forgotten in 2 years.

If it gets known they were part of it, no way they can play in the NHL (or any respectful professional hockey league for that matter) ever again.

No frickin way.

Well maybe it'll be forgotten in 5+ years, either way the Sens would rather have the negative publicity than lose an all star winger on an amazing contract and the 2nd fastest player in the league with 30g potential for nothing....

For example, let's pretend it was McDavid or Matthews involved in this, do they get banished to the shadow realm? No I dont think so because they are the best players in the league. Batherson/Formenton are nowhere near the best players in the league but they are very, very hard to replace.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I was the one who posted it. I've been championing something along the lines of the below for months.

to Ottawa: Weegar, Reinhart
to Arizona: 7th OA, Samoskevich
to Florida: Chychrun, 39th OA

Obviously this is over.

Don't like Reinhart as part of it.
30 goals and 80 points, the PPGs, wing/center combo.
But ya it could have worked in theory for sure.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Counter:

to Ottawa:
Bobrovski (10M, 2M retained), Weegar (3.25M)
to Arizona: Ott 1st 2023 (top 3 protected), Flo 1st 2023 (top 3 protected), Samoskevich, JBD, Ott 2nd 2023, dump Zaitsev (4.5M)
to Florida: Murray (6.25M), Chychrun (4.6M)

Ottawa gets their #1 goalie at 8M, upgrades defense from Zaitsev to Weegar - money in = money out.
Arizona gets three top 64 picks in 2023, two tier A prospects just about ready to step into the league. Money in = money out.
Florida gets off of the massiv Bob contract, and upgrade their D, saves (1-2M) cap space short term, 10+ M from year 3 on..

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
At least from a salary cap perspective... You have $20M in space right now after the DeBrincat trade. Assuming Norris gets ~5M, while Formenton and Joseph get ~$2.5M bridges, you'd still have $10M left in space. Should be plenty for Giroux and Weegar even if no other $$ go out.

If you can unload one of Hamonic or Zaitsev, you've got all kinds of room.

Unfortunately, money doesn't workout for Giroux signing after this upcoming season, and he'll want a multiyear contract, at least 3 I would imagine. Norris will get 7M minimum, 5m is not even close. Debrincat and Stutzle will be needing massive contracts as well next season, I'm anticipating 8.5M or more for each. Zub will also need a hefty raise to keep next offseason, and he should be a priority as well. Weegar could still work if we are able to ship out Murray or Zaitsev's contracts. Giroux would be an amazing addition but it would only work with a steep hometown discount, I can't see him fit any other way.

Biggest need now is a top 4 reliable RD, and then see where goaltending stands next year within the organization, might need to seriously address that too the following summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad