Rumor: Weegar to Ottawa?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Would be a savvy move from the Sens. I think Florida is going to end up basically giving Weegar away to somebody. He's a solid Top 4D.

Though, he's a RHD but I thought he played much better on the Left in Florida? Either way he's a great target for the Sens.
He can play either side well.
Really good 2 way guy but has his warts sometimes defensively.
Big time 5 on 5 production.
Looking for his big payday but has a good 5-6 years of quality hockey left in him.

Ottawa would just need a legit #1G and they'd be scary in a few years.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Imagine forming such absurd opinion on a sample size of 10 games :laugh:

Never change HF
TBF - despite glossy stats Weegar was already fumbling around a lot defensively for much of the regular season as well.

If he stops acting like the second coming of Bobby Orr (there is only one guy who is that), he may be able to regain form but it remains to be seen if last season was an off year or if his amazing 20-21 season was the outlier.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'd be all for it but I don't think Bob waives his NMC to move from Florida to Ottawa.
Good point, taxes and weather aren't selling points but the chance to be #1 may be a tipping point.
Weegar going would be familiar face and Zub is there as fellow countryman.

Ottawa is a nice city and lots of stuff to do, voted as #1 spot for non Candians moving to Canada.

Knight is likely ready to start 40 games as early as this year. Definitely in 2023-24.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If Weegar is available, every team in the league should be looking into the price.

For the picks and prospects.
Why not get maximum value from a team that has 1sts this year than getting trash picks from Ottawa and Florida for the next few years, for Chychrun....its like hey give up the most valuable piece in the whole trade and take our pennies because... If Debrincat can get 2 firsts this year, Chychrun can get at bare minimum the same and maybe a little more.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Imagine forming such absurd opinion on a sample size of 10 games :laugh:

Never change HF
I have been a big defender of Weegar for quite some time on the cats boards, but he was pretty bad all year. Once Q got canned his game fell off pretty hard. Then when Ek went down he was almost impossible to watch. Brunette (another person I constantly had to defend on our boards) used Weegar way too much.

I like Weegar's game a lot. But given too much time/leash he really does start to crack.

Cats won't be able to afford him long term and he's gonna get paid. Wouldn't be awful to trade him, but Zito likely can't replace his production for this cap hit this year.

Tough player to figure out what to do with for Florida.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I have been a big defender of Weegar for quite some time on the cats boards, but he was pretty bad all year. Once Q got canned his game fell off pretty hard. Then when Ek went down he was almost impossible to watch. Brunette (another person I constantly had to defend on our boards) used Weegar way too much.

I like Weegar's game a lot. But given too much time/leash he really does start to crack.

Cats won't be able to afford him long term and he's gonna get paid. Wouldn't be awful to trade him, but Zito likely can't replace his production for this cap hit this year.

Fair assessment.
Forsling should have been bumped up and Weegar less exposed on 2nd pairing but ya would be tough to see him go.

7th round pick gem.

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
Gees. If the Sens land DeBrincat and Weegar, then somehow sign Giroux, they are going to be pretty darn fun to watch next year.
If we land Weegar and Giroux as well I'm pretty confident in us being a wild card team (top 3 obvi TB, FLA, TOR) considering Washington, Pittsburgh and maybe Boston (sorry) may take a step back.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If we land Weegar and Giroux as well I'm pretty confident in us being a wild card team (top 3 obvi TB, FLA, TOR) considering Washington, Pittsburgh and maybe Boston (sorry) may take a step back.

Where are we getting the money for DeBrincat, Giroux and Weegar?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I mean, that's easy enough to say. We as people dont tend to remember the really good plays, only the bad plays that stick out in our memories. Especially all the small details as well. Weegar had a rough playoffs but it was 10 games. His numbers for the regular season border on elite and I'll always take the advanced stats over the eye test because the eye test has so much bias.

1657230897931.png

At 5 on 5, Those are not the numbers of a player that struggled at all. Especially at driving offense

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Where are we getting the money for DeBrincat, Giroux and Weegar?

At least from a salary cap perspective... You have $20M in space right now after the DeBrincat trade. Assuming Norris gets ~5M, while Formenton and Joseph get ~$2.5M bridges, you'd still have $10M left in space. Should be plenty for Giroux and Weegar even if no other $$ go out.

If you can unload one of Hamonic or Zaitsev, you've got all kinds of room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad