Proposal: Weegar for Lekkerimaki

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ledge And Dairy

Weegar's a good defenseman, but he's actually 30 (born January 94) and his contract runs untill '30-'31.

His contract is a risky one and I personally don't see a team paying a blue chip prospect for him.

If he gets traded, the return is gonna be a little more risky as well.

Expect something like a late first, a b prospect and an average young NHL player.
If that's the best Calgary can get for a long term team friendly deal on one of the top defensive defenseman in the league, that is also capable of getting 50+ points a year then they simply won't trade him. Unless he asks out (and all reports say he doesn't want to leave) the Flames are under no pressure to move him. He should and probably will be a fantastic mentor for Parekh next year in the 25/26 season.

Reactions: Qwijibo

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Actually I think he's a replacement for Boeser.
Nah, I think the more snipers the better, especially one on his ELC. Trading or letting Boeser walk for what would likely be a 2-2.5 million raise unless he's really bad this year would be such a bad move. We lose JT's best winger, who is also our longest tenured player who is extremely close to the core. If he has another good and healthy season, give him term like 6+ years at 8 8.5 million which is only a couple million more than he makes now. Lekkerimakki can be with EP,
I mean you can't have enough elite goal scorers.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Weegar's a good defenseman, but he's actually 30 (born January 94) and his contract runs untill '30-'31.

His contract is a risky one and I personally don't see a team paying a blue chip prospect for him.

If he gets traded, the return is gonna be a little more risky as well.

Expect something like a late first, a b prospect and an average young NHL player.
Obviously the contract won't provide value the last year or two (all long contracts signed in a player's late twenties end that way) but Weeger is a late bloomer with not that many miles on his body who has been quite healthy over his career. I don't think it's a terribly risky contract.

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Nah, I think the more snipers the better, especially one on his ELC. Trading or letting Boeser walk for what would likely be a 2-2.5 million raise unless he's really bad this year would be such a bad move. We lose JT's best winger, who is also our longest tenured player who is extremely close to the core. If he has another good and healthy season, give him term like 6+ years at 8 8.5 million which is only a couple million more than he makes now. Lekkerimakki can be with EP,
I mean you can't have enough elite goal scorers.

Sure but I'm talking in 3 years or more

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I definitely wouldn't be opposed but it does seem like a steep price for someone who would play on our 2nd pairing unless he can play RD then I'd seriously contemplate this.
It could solidify our dcore having Weegar anchoring the 2nd pair. Perfect foil for Hronek and or Willander/Myers. Soucy becomes 5th dman.

Obviously the contract won't provide value the last year or two (all long contracts signed in a player's late twenties end that way) but Weeger is a late bloomer with not that many miles on his body who has been quite healthy over his career. I don't think it's a terribly risky contract.
He's at about 650 pro games going into yr 2 of 8. Plays big physical minutes. Its a considerable risk. Then again it's prob an LTIR into retirement too.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Doesn't look like he's going anywhere anytime soon

"It's easy to get out of all whack when you see guys trying to leave or wanting new contracts," the 30-year-old from Ottawa said at last week's NHL/NHLPA player media tour in Las Vegas. "I just focus on where I am and where I want to be, and that's Calgary.

"I believe in this team. The city has taken me in right away. I feel like I owe it to them to stick around and grind through these years and get a Stanley Cup."

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
I think the Canucks would target andersson over weegar just based on age and contract short term. Plus Andersson could bump hronek to the second pair so he can drive offence away from hughes

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Sure but I'm talking in 3 years or more
You don't think we sign Brock to a longer term deal?

I think just given everything Brock has gone through with injuries and his stated desire to be here, he's a prime candidate to take less in exchange for term which is what I hope is the case, assuming he continues to play well this season.

I could also see an argument for a two to three year deal which sets him up for a big payday but for us, giving him term in exchange for a lower AAV, fits better for our window.
Especially since we have Quinn to sign in 3 years along with hopefully a big contract for 50 goal guy Lekkerimakki 😁

He plays LD which is what we need. Right handed though. Trade would happen closer to deadline once we've accrue the necessary cap room.
If he shoots right wouldn't it be likely he's left-handed? Just speaking for myself since I shoot right and am left-handed.

• Wow
Reactions: Haatley

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I
He does play the right side. Cap reasons wouldn't work however.
Would love either one from Calgary especially since it takes a player(s) oilers fans seem to think they can land for a song and a dance and Kane and a couple of doctors commiting fraud.

Rasmus would be easier to fit in dollar wise since we would only be a million over the cap after either moving Poolman in the trade or putting him on LTIR and gaining a million by waiving whatever d is the odd man out.

Weeger would require likely Garland being moved which would be an option if Lekks comes into camp and earns a spot.

Ironically, Lekks earning a spot straight away making losing Garland palletable might actually hasten a trade for a top four dman since we would have a chance to allocate more cap for the defence.

I guess the only question is can a deal be reached without losing Willander? Would the nucks even move him? I know flames fans would insist on him in any deal but I still think a package like Hronek got with maybe a conditional extra 1st over a 2nd and another small plus is still in the ballpark for Rasmus. Weeger not so much as he's clearly the better of the two flames d imo.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
He plays both sides and has done so in Calgary, and previously in Florida. He's just as good on the right as he is on the left
He was significantly worse when they tried him on the right oddly given he shoots right. Anyway as I say the Canucks need a LD more than a RD anyway.

If he shoots right wouldn't it be likely he's left-handed? Just speaking for myself since I shoot right and am left-handed.
Hahah I can't speak to his actual handedness but he play the left side and shoots right handed with a hockey stick.

Ledge And Dairy

He was significantly worse when they tried him on the right oddly given he shoots right. Anyway as I say the Canucks need a LD more than a RD anyway.
That's just not true at all. When Tanev went down and Weegar and Zadorov were paired together they were extremely dominant. Calgary has just been so deep on the right side his entire time on the team that him playing on the left was more beneficial to balancing. It was far more effective to run Weegar and Tanev 20 minutes a night than run 3 pairs and have Gilbert or DeSimone play 17+ minutes paired with Tanev

Reactions: Haatley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad