Proposal: Weegar for Lekkerimaki

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Who needs shutdown D when you have Chaos Giraffe and VD :sarcasm:

Demko and Silovs are both going to be on LTIR by seasons end due to how much that D is going to get turnstiled all season
Tom Willander?

You cant add 7 yrs of a heavy contract unless the plan becomes trade Hronek. Shuffling deck chairs at that point

Myers and Desharnais can handle 36 minutes with zero offensive expectations

Last edited:
Reactions: Coffees

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Teams need players on cheap contracts, like elcs, to contribute. Can’t see Vancouver trading a young guy with the potential to contribute top six minutes for a guy who collects a high cap hit. Weegar is very good but more money would need to go along with Lekkerimaki and Calgary would need to add a guy on a cheap deal too. It’s just not a good deal for the clubs unless it involved more.

Reactions: Coffees

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
top pair defenseman in their prime for magic beans. Calgary hangs up the phone
Magic Beans? Not really too familiar with prospects i guess?

Should just hold on to Weegar. Nucks would be much more interested in Gavrikov Provorov Chychrun Theodore Pettersson Orlov than a 7yr contract for a 30yr old

Reactions: bert

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
If your argument is Calgary just needs as many chances as possible to hit then sure, but you can make that argument about every team.

But if we are looking at a breakdown of Calgary's prospects and young players by position here is everyone that has legitimate top 9 potential (top 6 for defense).
C: Zary (played wing all last year but might transfer to center), L. Misa (probably projects as a winger but listed as center)
LW: Pelletier, Basha, Honzek, Suniev, Stromgren, Pospisil, Bell
RW: Coronato, Gridin, Battaglia
LD: Poirier, Morin, Grushnikov, Solovyov
RD: Parekh, Brzustewicz, Mews

That's 0-2 center prospects, 11-13 winger prospects, and 7 defense prospects. So yes I would say winger prospects are far below everything else in terms of organizational need (with the exception of the aforementioned goalie position).
HF loves 2 in the bush. Colour me unimpressed. Every team takes 7, give or take, players every year in the draft. That doesn't make them good. I get it. The centres you listed aren't even centres. That's probably the biggest hole. That just makes the wings relatively better, but not good. Flames need talent. But they aren't fixing their issues at centre with Weager.

Last edited:

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
A high end center prospect would no doubt be the main focus for Conroy if a Weegar deal was ever to be entertained. The guy is a top 20 defender in the league - signed at a wonderful cap hit.

Lekkerimaki is a quality prospect but not a need.
You guys will get your center though at this years draft, and one hell of a center prospect.

Just do the trade

Reactions: bert

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
It's a decent idea, the only thing is that this would blow the Canucks cap structure out of whack.
Who is as good as Weager making less on the Canucks?

Hronek is the sand in their cap structure Vaseline.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
A high end center prospect would no doubt be the main focus for Conroy if a Weegar deal was ever to be entertained. The guy is a top 20 defender in the league - signed at a wonderful cap hit.

Lekkerimaki is a quality prospect but not a need.
Sorry but at this point Calgary needs every high end prospect it can get

Ledge And Dairy

HF loves 2 in the bush. Colour me unimpressed. Every team takes 7, give or take, players every year in the draft. That doesn't make them good. I get it. The centres you listed aren't even centres. That's probably the biggest hole. That just makes the wings relatively better, but not good. Flames need talent. But they aren't fixing their issues at centre with Weager.
Weird post.

I like Lekkerimaki as a prospect but he's on par with Basha, Gridin, and Coronato. Good but not elite. The point is Calgary clearly has a lack of center prospects and Lekkerimaki doesn't fix that. I have no idea why you think Weegar can't return a similar caliber center prospect if he was made available though, Sergachev just did and he's not as good as Weegar and is more expensive.

On the other hand, vets are important especially for mentoring a high potential prospect. Look at what Tanev did for Hughes, I would rather Parekh have a mentor like that and develop into a star than tarnish that for another 2nd line potential prospect

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Flames are definitely in the hunt for a #1 center. They don't have one now on the team and they don't have one in their prospect pool.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Weird post.

I like Lekkerimaki as a prospect but he's on par with Basha, Gridin, and Coronato. Good but not elite. The point is Calgary clearly has a lack of center prospects and Lekkerimaki doesn't fix that. I have no idea why you think Weegar can't return a similar caliber center prospect if he was made available though, Sergachev just did and he's not as good as Weegar and is more expensive.

On the other hand, vets are important especially for mentoring a high potential prospect. Look at what Tanev did for Hughes, I would rather Parekh have a mentor like that and develop into a star than tarnish that for another 2nd line potential prospect
Sorry, but Lekk is much better prospect than those guys you mentioned

Reactions: gianni

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Based on what exactly? EP literally just put out a top 100 and he was 1 spot ahead of Basha. Maybe you are biased?
Basha was just drafted 41st ov, and has done nothing to raise his stock, since he hasn't even had the chance to. Lekkerimaki was a 15th ov selection that is coming off a season in which he was mvp of his shl team, and shl rookie of the year, while scoring IIRC a top 5 league wide percentage of his teams' total goals despite missing games due to participating in the wjc's... where he was named tournament mvp.

Things can always change in the future, but at this point in time, Lekkerimaki is unquestionably the better prospect.

Ledge And Dairy

Basha was just drafted 41st ov, and has done nothing to raise his stock, since he hasn't even had the chance to. Lekkerimaki was a 15th ov selection that is coming off a season in which he was mvp of his shl team, and shl rookie of the year, while scoring IIRC a top 5 league wide percentage of his teams' total goals despite missing games due to participating in the wjc's... where he was named tournament mvp.

Things can always change in the future, but at this point in time, Lekkerimaki is unquestionably the better prospect.
He's definitely a good prospect but just because Basha was drafted 41st OA does not mean he wasn't widely viewed as a 1st round talent by scouts going into the draft. I also mentioned Coronato who last I checked was the 13th OA pick from the year before him. Where he made the NHL out of camp after signing his ELC.

Again Lekkerimaki is a good prospect, but he hasn't proven anything. Like all the other names I mentioned he currently projects as a 2nd line talent. Maybe he ends up better, maybe not. Regardless he isn't a big enough difference from Calgary's plethora of other winger prospects to justify moving Weegar for.

Reactions: kevrondl

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I never understood the Lekker pick by the Canucks other then they thought he is BPA. He always reminded me of a carbon copy of Pettersson and a bit redundant for the team.
Why cuz they are both swedish?
They play nothing alike except for they both have elite shots. They don't even play the same position

Reactions: nucks88 and bert

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Sorry but at this point Calgary needs every high end prospect it can get

I disagree. The last thing thing this team needs is yet another undersized winger, especially in a trade for our best player. Sorry.

There are other prospects out there.

Hoglander

Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
He's definitely a good prospect but just because Basha was drafted 41st OA does not mean he wasn't widely viewed as a 1st round talent by scouts going into the draft. I also mentioned Coronato who last I checked was the 13th OA pick from the year before him. Where he made the NHL out of camp after signing his ELC.

Again Lekkerimaki is a good prospect, but he hasn't proven anything. Like all the other names I mentioned he currently projects as a 2nd line talent. Maybe he ends up better, maybe not. Regardless he isn't a big enough difference from Calgary's plethora of other winger prospects to justify moving Weegar for.
This makes no sense. Lekkerimaki was more widely viewed as a first round talent, and got selected in the middle of the first round. Every single team passed on Basha in the first round.

I only responded about Basha, not Coronato.

I also never said Flames should trade for Lekkerimaki, just that he is clearly ahead of Basha at this point.

And what do you mean Lekkerimaki hasn't proven anything? I just listed his accomplishments in his d+2. Are you saying that progression in anything other than the nhl, means nothing? I don't get it. Lekkerimaki just had an excellent season as a 19 year old in one of the world's best professional leagues. Flames fans would be ecstatic if Basha showed that kind of progression at 19 years old, and would be pumping the crap out of him.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Trade would have to be done half way through the season after the canucks accrue some daily cap space.

I think Weegar would be the perfect 3rd dman for the Canucks to make a few playoff pushes.

It's a lot to give up considering Lekkerimaki is our top prospect and fresh of WJC top player award.

It's a big swing. I don't know if it's smart or not but it would give the Canucks a better chance to win for the next 2/3 yrs.
Weegar is a top two D, why would the Flames go for just your 2024 1st round pick? Lekkerimaki isn't necessarily a world beater. Vancity would have to add big time.

Ledge And Dairy

This makes no sense. Lekkerimaki was more widely viewed as a first round talent, and got selected in the middle of the first round. Every single team passed on Basha in the first round.

I only responded about Basha, not Coronato.

I also never said Flames should trade for Lekkerimaki, just that he is clearly ahead of Basha at this point.

And what do you mean Lekkerimaki hasn't proven anything? I just listed his accomplishments in his d+2. Are you saying that progression in anything other than the nhl, means nothing? I don't get it. Lekkerimaki just had an excellent season as a 19 year old in one of the world's best professional leagues. Flames fans would be ecstatic if Basha showed that kind of progression at 19 years old, and would be pumping the crap out of him.
You are not wrong that Basha did fall to the 2nd round. But a lot of independent scouts are very high on him. Again Elite Prospects just put out a top 100 and they had Lekkerimaki ranked 43rd and Basha 44th. Dobber Prospects projects Lekkerimaki as a ~70 point player using PNHLe, same with Basha.

Those accomplishments at world Juniors and in the SHL are great but they don't mean he's a walk on for the team or anything. Like with Coronato, I want to see how he does in a schedule that's over 50 games. Maybe he has a great preseason and they simply can't say no to promoting him to the NHL, but odds are he probably starts in the A.

As for Basha, Medicine Hat is probably one of the Memorial cup favourites for the WHL this year. So I wouldn't be shocked to see him have a big D+1.

Hoglander

Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
You are not wrong that Basha did fall to the 2nd round. But a lot of independent scouts are very high on him. Again Elite Prospects just put out a top 100 and they had Lekkerimaki ranked 43rd and Basha 44th. Dobber Prospects projects Lekkerimaki as a ~70 point player using PNHLe, same with Basha.

Those accomplishments at world Juniors and in the SHL are great but they don't mean he's a walk on for the team or anything. Like with Coronato, I want to see how he does in a schedule that's over 50 games. Maybe he has a great preseason and they simply can't say no to promoting him to the NHL, but odds are he probably starts in the A.

As for Basha, Medicine Hat is probably one of the Memorial cup favourites for the WHL this year. So I wouldn't be shocked to see him have a big D+1.
This is just a bunch of fluff. It's like saying Macklin Celebrini isn't a better prospect than Basha, because Basha was regarded by some to be a 1st round talent, and Celebrini hasn't proven anything. It's a really lame argument.

Lekkerimaki was picked considerably higher because his perceived upside is/was higher. He has accomplished things that show very good progression - things that Flames fans would be ecstatic with if Basha achieved the same. Lekkerimaki HAS proven more than Basha and that isn't debatable, it's fact.

Basha has done nothing to be put next to someone who just had a season like Lekkerimaki just did. Ep and dobber simply have the shiny new prospect syndrome. Maybe Basha ends up better down the line, but you are off your rocker if can't admit that there is currently a significant gap between the 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks LB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad