Post-Game Talk: We Lost. Again. 52 Shots For. Small Building Steps. Can't Complain

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
SOG is an over-rated stat as is the +/- rating in general. 50 shots is basically shooting the puck from anywhere, yeah Price was peppered with shots but how many of them were actual threats (scoring chances) and how many of them were easy enough to pad a goalie's stats?

Not every shot is a scoring chance if the area they are shooting from is a low percentage area. That's like saying I took 60 shots at a team and 40 of those shots were from centre ice.

While the habs were tired, it's not entirely an excuse as they should have done a better job at preventing all those shots, but 50 shots is not a telling stat, it just means, they were shooting from everywhere.

The eye test would tell you there were plenty of scoring chances among those 50+ shots.

and abstractly speaking even so called "low quality" shots can lead to scoring chances via rebounds.

You're acting as if Price was getting peppered by shots from centre ice, which clearly wasn't the case. Having a goalie face 50 shots in just 60 minutes of game time is never a good thing.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
So are you saying Price isn't that good because of the poor quality shots he faces? :)
:handclap::handclap::handclap: That was great. Seems Habs fans want everybody to acknowledge that Price is a great goalie which I totally agree with but then minimize his importance to the team overall.

Last edited:

91Kadri91*

SOG is an over-rated stat as is the +/- rating in general. 50 shots is basically shooting the puck from anywhere, yeah Price was peppered with shots but how many of them were actual threats (scoring chances) and how many of them were easy enough to pad a goalie's stats?

Not every shot is a scoring chance if the area they are shooting from is a low percentage area. That's like saying I took 60 shots at a team and 40 of those shots were from centre ice.

While the habs were tired, it's not entirely an excuse as they should have done a better job at preventing all those shots, but 50 shots is not a telling stat, it just means, they were shooting from everywhere.

Here you go:

16 high-danger scoring chances for, 10 against; 45 scoring chances for, 17 against.

http://war-on-ice.com/game.html?mansit=2&scoresit=2&tab=1&seasongcode=2015201620108

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Did I seriously just read this? Really??

BoardsOfFun

Oct 20, 2015
A team that allows an awful Leafs team to put up 50 shots against them isn't playing very well.

most teams that play 2 games in 2 nights suffer the 2nd nite, though its early in the season and the players should be fresher (?)

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
9 out of 27 shots that Bernier faced was of the high danger variety. The Habs almost matched us there. We didn't do a good job of cutting down quality scoring chances, we did a good job of limiting bad shots and moving the puck out again.

That's below league average. The Leafs weren't in any way leaky on high danger shots.

http://war-on-ice.com/teamtable.html

By that table, Montreal has one of the lowest averages in the league at 9.5 HSCF/60. Bernier was not tested in any way other than a totally average night.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto

I remember when Leafs were getting out shot every game but still managed to win games. Lets just say that was not long lasting and we eventually started losing more games. Shots on goal is an important stat.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
I remember when Leafs were getting out shot every game but still managed to win games. Lets just say that was not long lasting and we eventually started losing more games. Shots on goal is an important stat.

I also remember quality of shot was brought up over and over as a reason why we were winning all those games. Didn't pan out so well in the long run.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I also remember quality of shot was brought up over and over as a reason why we were winning all those games. Didn't pan out so well in the long run.

Flames and Avs fans also tried to rely on the "shot quality" excuse in years past - it never lasts.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
We are reducing shots, but the critical mistakes are still just as bad. Far too many bad penalties (partially due to the refs) last game that led to two PPG's. That is not on Bernier. A SHG that was a 2 on 1 that should never happen. A bad rebound goal where our defense was absolutely undressed and an own goal off our own team's skate. So which ones should Bernier have stopped?

The way I look at it is the team as a whole is not getting it done. Three of the five games Bernier has been .929+, and the two he was not the team sucked, specifically the PK.

Those are poor excuses. Should we allow a 2 on 1 on a PP, definitely not, but that doesn't excuse Bernier for letting the shot go right through him. He's not good, neither of our goalies are, I don't see why some feel the need to go to the ends of the Earth to defend either of them.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Those are poor excuses. Should we allow a 2 on 1 on a PP, definitely not, but that doesn't excuse Bernier for letting the shot go right through him. He's not good, neither of our goalies are, I don't see why some feel the need to go to the ends of the Earth to defend either of them.

Agreed.

mikebel111*

Hold on isnt this what Randy used to say or his system was.
Who cares about shots allowed, its where the shots were from that matter. Yeah how did that work out for us?

Sorry but I am seeing signs that Habs are falling down to earth or should I say falling back on Price again

91Kadri91*

Hold on isnt this what Randy used to say or his system was.
Who cares about shots allowed, its where the shots were from that matter.
Yeah how did that work out for us?

He may have said it, but he certainly didn't practice it: the Leafs, from the day Randy Carlyle was hired to the day he was fired, surrendered more high-danger (and regular) scoring chances than any other team in the NHL.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Facing so many shots is taxing to the goaltender's body as pucks do hit weak spots in the equipment and goalies continually have to adjust positioning in respects to dump-ins and east-west movement.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i totally agree.

That's fair - but 50 shots against is anomaly high. That's not normal, even for a team having to play back to back games.

nope.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
That's fair - but 50 shots against is anomaly high. That's not normal, even for a team having to play back to back games.

And for a team expected to be atop the East vs. a team expected to be at the bottom.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Good effort, could have won.
Price is amazing, Habs not so much.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That's below league average. The Leafs weren't in any way leaky on high danger shots.

http://war-on-ice.com/teamtable.html

By that table, Montreal has one of the lowest averages in the league at 9.5 HSCF/60. Bernier was not tested in any way other than a totally average night.

Thank you. The site broke down on me so I had to go with my gut feeling.

Well for me it's because most people take such a radical stance on the subject that even being moderately critical means you end up defending him.

Saying he's not good enough is just fine. Saying he's not an NHL goalie is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad