We are going to the playoffs, I think!

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
Two reasons:

#1 We are playing at a high level right now, including two defeats of the defending Stanley Cup Champions.

#2 There aren't enough good teams in the East to deny us a playoff spot. Who is going to take our spot? Go ahead, find those teams that are better than us? None there, the East is weak.

As long as we keep playing the way we are playing, we're getting in. And as someone who is old enough to remember the playoff runs of 2002, 2006, and 2009, once we get in we are DANGEROUS. We don't do "first round exits". And it doesn't matter if we play a "top team"...lol the Bruins in 2009 were a "top team", how'd that work out for them? :laugh:

In short, we are going to the playoffs.

One caveat...if we are STUPID and trade Eric Staal, we don't make the playoffs. We need veteran leadership and proven playoff performance. Get Staal re-signed and we make it, that's my prediction. Remember the debacle of the Justin Williams trade when people on THIS BOARD said get rid of him. How'd that work out for us? Same with Andrew Ladd. We need to keep our good players, not look for every excuse possible to save a few bucks and ship them out of town (going all the way back to Ron Francis in '91).

If we trade Staal at the deadline, I quit being a fan of this team, I am that serious about the need to RE SIGN STAAL.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Chuck be like.

As optimism isn't exactly a staple of this board it is certainly refreshing to see it in some capacity.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
They should and will trade Eric at the deadline. The veteran presence they need is already there in Versteeg. Eric can bring needed assets. I'm fine if he re-signs next year at a reasonable price.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm alright with optimism. Nice to see. But we are in a position that can obviously go any number of ways quickly. Two years ago at this time, we had 55 points in 51 games. This year we have 54 in 51. Then we were 7-3 in our last 10. This year we're 7-2-1 in our last 10. After our next game two years ago, we were third in the Metro with the same or less games than everyone. We are in a position to do some good things. We are in a position where we can fall hard and fast with just a few losses with everything bunched so close. It's nice to have some optimism for the present, and way more for the future than we likely had that year. But it hasn't been that long since we've been in this exact position.

It's also definitely not impossible to trade for now and for the future. You can structure certain trades to help now and in the future, like the Stillman/Commodore trade. I don't think trading Staal would cripple the team if it comes to that. Just have to have more young guys step up like they have been all year.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I don't see how this team is built to beat the Capitals in a 7 game series. We looked pretty rough in our last outing vs then Pens...and Malkin always owns Cam hard. The Rangers....well the king does not give up many goals to us...

With the new playoff formatting I'm not too confident about playing the other teams in our division that will be in the playoffs.

That said, it would still be fun to actually watch our team play some playoff hockey win or lose.

Elsker

Jul 3, 2008
Downtown Raleigh
Both E.Staal and Versteeg, along with Liles, traded at the deadline for Profit.

Grizzled veteran and interim Captain Ron Hainsey leads the New Canes to the promised land. :sarcasm:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
It's honestly unfortunate the Canes have never had a divisional matchup in the playoffs. I would loveee to see a few Caps vs Canes playoff series to try and build up more of a rivalry with them.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I am excited for this team, but I've been burned one too many times by them missing out. That said, it's nice to see a competitive team at least again, for once. Going to need to win a hell of a lot of divisional games going forward, preferably in regulation, but beggars can't be choosers.

It's honestly unfortunate the Canes have never had a divisional matchup in the playoffs. I would loveee to see a few Caps vs Canes playoff series to try and build up more of a rivalry with them.

We were a win away from playing Tampa in the 1st round in 2006. However we lost the last regular season game, Ottawa won that night, and thus clinched the top spot in the Conference.

Would have been interesting to play the then defending Cup champs and I have little doubt we would have won but I actually like it better when this team beats the likes of The Original Six teams because their fans whine and cry about losing to a Sunbelt team. Even today Montreal fans seem convinced that Kovius two secondary assists were going to lead the Habs to the Cup that year.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Hey Canes' fans! Could someone tell me something about Eric Staal? How's his play so far this season? Not watching much Carolina games, so...

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I wouldn't.

You don't want a rivalry with our geographically-closest team?

Besides, it's all upside. I lived in DC for years and saw it firsthand...the Caps always fold like an old lawnchair against inferior teams in the playoffs. Playing the Caps could be our ticket to an easy playoff series win.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Why not? I think rivalries are fun. Some hard fought playoff match ups between a divisional opponent would create a spark and draw more interest to those games the following seasons.

Besides, it's all upside. I lived in DC for years and saw it firsthand...the Caps always fold like an old lawnchair against inferior teams in the playoffs. Playing the Caps could be our ticket to an easy playoff series win.

I would want a rivalry, just not with this current Caps team. They needed goaltending and depth (both F and D) in the past. They have it all now. Anything can happen in the playoffs, but this is the first Caps team I've felt was really built for a run. That said, they'll probably be out in the first round.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles

No kidding.

A team that always overperforms in the playoffs versus a team that always underperforms in the playoffs? I'll take my chances.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Hey Canes' fans! Could someone tell me something about Eric Staal? How's his play so far this season? Not watching much Carolina games, so...

He seems to be slowly but surely playing better. Playing like he cares, like a Captain should.

There were a couple of times last night where he was actually skating hard and not skating like he was stuck in mud and all I could think of was "Where was this effort the last 3 seasons?".

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I mean I despise teams like the Sabres, Wings, Penguins, & Devils. But I want a team I can truly hate lol. I think if we were to have some divisional playoff match ups against the Caps the match ups between them would start to get fun and become standout games every season.

No way it becomes like Boston vs Montreal. But if you ever watch a Sharks vs Kings matchup, that's what I'm looking for. Both teams do not like each other and that's cause they crossed paths multiple times in the playoffs. The fans don't like each other and the games get fun.

Sure the Capitals are a great team this year, but that is besides the point. Yeah we might lose to them one year, but the feeling of getting revenge is great and maybe the following year we beat them.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
He seems to be slowly but surely playing better. Playing like he cares, like a Captain should.

There were a couple of times last night where he was actually skating hard and not skating like he was stuck in mud and all I could think of was "Where was this effort the last 3 seasons?".

Because we finally, finally, *finally* have a coach that means it when he says "no passengers". He sat Versteeg, and then Versteeg was on fire. I have zero doubt that if we saw Bad Eric again, he would be a healthy scratch.

Guys are playing hard every night because we've got a Next Man Up mentality. The culture is moving in the right direction -- and that means that success will follow. It will never again be a question of "finding a winger for Eric" -- it will be "who's going to step up next?"

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Because we finally, finally, *finally* have a coach that means it when he says "no passengers". He sat Versteeg, and then Versteeg was on fire. I have zero doubt that if we saw Bad Eric again, he would be a healthy scratch.

Guys are playing hard every night because we've got a Next Man Up mentality. The culture is moving in the right direction -- and that means that success will follow. It will never again be a question of "finding a winger for Eric" -- it will be "who's going to step up next?"

+1.

This can't be stated enough. I remember early on, some people were concerned that his approach and focus on effort, but this coach has the full team buying in and as he said last night re: Nash.

It’s been a struggle, and it’s been a struggle for certain guys, there’s no question about that. But it’s competitive now. It’s very competitive to get in our lineup and stay in our lineup and find a way to contribute

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad