Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
McDavid barely talks to the officials. Not sure where that narrative is coming from, sounds like cope.
Demko literally puked in his mask in game 1 and yet somehow that whiney little B cried to the media that it was somehow an insult.

The guy is a one hell of an offensive player, he's also a whiner and not much of a leader. Maybe one day he will shut the fu** up between the whistles and post- game scrums but that's not him at present.

Reactions: Nuck Bonino

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Are Oilers fans seriously trying to anoint their team as the messiah of the playoffs after winning 4 rounds since 2007? (or something)

Canucks AND Oiler fans should relax and be humble and just enjoy the battle of a second round ALL CANADIAN match up that GUARANTEES a Canadian team advancing.

It sucks that Canadian teams in the east don't realize the importance of winning playoff series but that's a conversation for another day.

go Canucks, crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I'm excited to see this series. Will be interesting to see who is the team that will lose in the WCF against whoever comes out of the other series.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Demko literally puked in his mask in game 1 and yet somehow that whiney little B cried to the media that it was somehow an insult.

The guy is a one hell of an offensive player, he's also a whiner and not much of a leader. Maybe one day he will shut the fu** up between the whistles and post- game scrums but that's not him at present.
Lol that's the thing that set you off? Patent insecurity, same shit rival fans said about Crosby.

Can't all be leaders like JT tho I guess.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Lol that's the thing that set you off? Patent insecurity, same shit rival fans said about Crosby.

Can't all be leaders like JT tho I guess.

The goalie was a dummy. Get the f*** off the ice. Most people around the team probably had no problem with it. But it’s usually the folks that haven’t played a competitive sport in their life that get all bent out of shape about stuff like this.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
After BOTH teams have played against stifling opponents in round one, I think the fluidity both sides prefer will take over a few games in. This will hopefully be an 80s style scoring bonanza

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Are Oilers fans seriously trying to anoint their team as the messiah of the playoffs after winning 4 rounds since 2007? (or something)

Canucks AND Oiler fans should relax and be humble and just enjoy the battle of a second round ALL CANADIAN match up that GUARANTEES a Canadian team advancing.

It sucks that Canadian teams in the east don't realize the importance of winning playoff series but that's a conversation for another day.

go Canucks, crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women
It's actually 5 rounds.

Who is doing that btw?

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
Canucks seriously struggled against Nashville with multiple games that were total coin flips, so much so that some Canucks fans had anointed them as the best defensive team in the playoffs. Unless they find a gear 3-4 levels higher than the one they just showed, it's going to be a quick series.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
So the fact I am agreeing with you on the one point, but by suggesting it goes both ways you are suggesting there is a complex on MY part?? I recognized the ignorance that comes from my fanbases direction. The fact you can't? Telling.

Only my second post in this thread and already bowing out.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying, or I didn't get what you were saying.

The Oilers and Canucks have been divisional rivals for years, but I haven't really recalled a lot of enmity from Edmonton's fanbase up until this season. Maybe I wasn't looking, maybe I'm wrong, I'm willing to concede that.

What seemed to spark the ire was the 2 games at the start of the season, which the Canucks had won. If this site didn't have such shite archiving for old posts and not wipe things every 15 minutes because of 'server transfers' or whatever, I might be tempted to go digging back. Maybe it's a gigantic coincidence that the Oilers were suddenly fixated on the Canucks and I'm completely wrong.

I don't recall anyone in the Vancouver around the league thread hate-watching every single Oilers game and posting about it. Shittalking? Sure. I don't care about some trash talk here and there.

But it really felt like the sentiment is that the Oilers had a particular axe to grind with Vancouver and it manifested in really bizarre ways. Even when the Sedins were around as active players I don't recall the same level of animosity.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
wow 67 pages already.
That's insane. A whole Canadian semi-final.
Actually a quarter final. Winning a conference is nice but it is not the Grail. The league loves all these titles, Division Champs, Conference Champs, President Trophy winners, and the Cup. But the team won the Division, yaaaa, they were better than 7 other teams!!!!
Were Vancouver's backups this good or was it the Preds with a lack of fire power?

We are about to find out. Facing centers like McDrai is much different than facing ROR & Jankowski.

I think this still goes 7.
The goalies are that good. Just look at them since Luongo got here, Luongo, then Schenider, then Markstrom, then Demko, now Silovs and the next one Topolio. All thanks to the goalie coach.

Because I am a Vancouver guy I voted Canucks in 7 games but I really think if it goes 7 the Oilers win unless the hand of god strikes them down with the wicked flu bug going around but that goes for the Canucks too.

The last confrontation in the playoffs between these teams is hardly enough to create a rivalry in that sense, 1992 was a long time ago.

I think the current animosity from Oiler fans towards the Canucks stems from the beatings they took at the start of the season and the realistic belief that Edmonton should have been in first place in the division and somehow the Canucks stole it from them.

Regardless Edmonton doesn't have Saros so there might be a slight advantage as the pressure on Silovs is a lot less because so much less was expected all season from him.

And the is a possibility that Demko returns.

So I am looking up for a schedule and all I find is eastern conference stuff.
So it appears the west is playing second fiddle again as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well this is a cesspool of toxic waste. Going to avoid. @Leonardo87, are we allowed to make another thread dedicated to fans of the teams that don’t want to antagonize each other and just enjoy the competition?

We are cleaning up as much as we can. Trying to remove all the personal crap. Folks needs to stop worrying about the fans and start talking about the actual series, which is the team and players.

If Edmonton and Vancouver fans cannot learn to play nice and just talk the series, they will be booted from the discussions. We can’t remove every post that may come across as rude and/or heated, if it doesn’t break the rules.

As per outside fans with no stake in this series… There is a difference with rooting for a team to win vs rooting for a team to lose. If someone has this over the top hatred for one of these teams and is just going to spew nonsense and troll and bait the fans who are invested into this series, they will also be booted.

My recommendation to you, report any post you feel is attacking a member or fan base, or someone who is blatant trolling. I can’t promise all of them will be resolved as there is a lot border-line stuff and we try to be fair.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
We are cleaning up as much as we can. Trying to remove all the personal crap. Folks needs to stop worrying about the fans and start talking about the actual series, which is the team and players.

If Edmonton and Vancouver fans cannot learn to play nice and just talk the series, they will be booted from the discussions. We can’t remove every post that may come across as rude and/or heated, if it doesn’t break the rules.

As per outside fans with no stake in this series… There is a difference with rooting for a team to win vs rooting for a team to lose. If someone has this over the top hatred for one of these teams and is just going to spew nonsense and troll and bait the fans who are invested into this series, they will also be booted.

My recommendation to you, report any post you feel is attacking a member or fan base, or someone who is blatant trolling. I can’t promise all of them will be resolved as there is a lot border-line stuff and we try to be fair.
Yeah this thread would probably be 100 pages with all the flaming and trolling that's been deleted so far.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think you misunderstood what I was saying, or I didn't get what you were saying.

The Oilers and Canucks have been divisional rivals for years, but I haven't really recalled a lot of enmity from Edmonton's fanbase up until this season. Maybe I wasn't looking, maybe I'm wrong, I'm willing to concede that.

What seemed to spark the ire was the 2 games at the start of the season, which the Canucks had won. If this site didn't have such shite archiving for old posts and not wipe things every 15 minutes because of 'server transfers' or whatever, I might be tempted to go digging back. Maybe it's a gigantic coincidence that the Oilers were suddenly fixated on the Canucks and I'm completely wrong.

I don't recall anyone in the Vancouver around the league thread hate-watching every single Oilers game and posting about it. Shittalking? Sure. I don't care about some trash talk here and there.

But it really felt like the sentiment is that the Oilers had a particular axe to grind with Vancouver and it manifested in really bizarre ways. Even when the Sedins were around as active players I don't recall the same level of animosity.
Seems like you are just seeing what you want to see a little bit.

Vancouver fans felt attacked by all the PDO talk, and were seemingly completely unwilling to admit that their early season scoring prowess was a bit of a mirage.

They are still talking about some special system devised by Tocchet that allowed them to finish their chances at a completely unsustainable rate.

However if you look at the mid season splits, in their first 41 games, the Canucks were shooting at 12.5% at 5v5. Wow. Crazy.

In their second 41 games, the Canucks were shooting at 8.76% which is completely normal. Good for 13th in the league. Their high danger shooting % also dropped from 1st to 13th.

What's interesting though, is that their underlying numbers steadily improved. Canucks finished with pretty decent possession stats on the season as a whole. Both their shots for and shots against improved. They are a very good defensive team.

Their ability to finish at a special rate has seemingly evaporated though. That also seems to have carried through to the playoffs where they outscored Nashville 13-12 in the series.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Disagree - no championships in 53 years and an unexpected window opens to the second round ? pressure is on for Canucks.
It’s shocking that this take exists. Like, do people actually believe this? They’re playing backup goalies as a team that was expected to be a bubble playoff team this season at best. I want the Canucks to win. I’ll be bummed if they lose. Sure, the franchise and city generally would love a Cup. But if you honestly think this team has the pressure of expectations like, say, the Sedin-led Canucks, you are very much misreading the room. There is no scenario where the Oilers don’t face greater expectations this series.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
You just love to see it. :laugh:

The league has eliminated fighting, so we do the fighting in a decades old forum because we're freaks. In all honestly, you're putting fan bases that just don't like each other in a playoff match up. This is going to be a fun series. IMO going to spark an even stronger rivalry in the future, since the Canucks and OIlers would have to meet each other everytime to get through the west.
I don’t mind fun rivalry and it would be fun to read without all the pettiness and bickering unrelated to the actual sport or game or teams.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Unlike the Kings, Vancouver can actually play defense. And they also have the offense and goaltending. If Demko returns later in the series then Vancouver has a huge advantage in net. But in the meantime ride the Shilov train while this rookie is hot. This will be a great series and will go the distance. McDavid and Drasaitl won't have the time and space that they had vs LA.

• Haha
Reactions: Skolman and gianni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad