GDT: WCSF GM05 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Thur. May 16th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | So Tight, Almost Like a Playoff Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Ballard and Albert’s in the final are underrated options Mr C

I think both of them have been better than Cole has been in this one. Cole has been a one man wrecking crew putting pucks in his own net, turning over pucks that result in goals, or taking penalties that result in goals.

If any defensemen had been as bad in the Finals as Cole has been in this series, they’d have burned effigies of them during the riot.

Reactions: calnuck

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Yeah I'm not sure why the Canucks have decided to play so loose and run-n-gun in this series.

Constantly giving the Oilers speed and space through the neutral zone. It's exactly what they haven't done all season which has led to all our success. Puzzling breakdown of systems.

Also did not like Miller's body language in that first period, looked like pre-Tocchet JT.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
That was one of the most brutally played 2 on 1’s I’ve ever seen played by Hronek 😂

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well I suppose being down 2-1 after that period is a moral victory. They take three minors and fail to cough up a PP goal....something of a miracle.

But the bad news is the blueline.....they're totally overmatched. Soucy may have scored the goal, but was the goal on the second with a bad pinch and then falling down. As or Cole, the only reason he's in the lineup is basic stubbornness from Tochet. He simply hasn't earned it.

What is really disappointing is that playing in front of a career backup, the Oilers have almost totally immobilized the Canuck offense. They're getting next to nothing directed at Pickard.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
They have higher intensity offensive pressure with McDrai, some of our guys are crumbling with weak clears and poor decision making against the rush. Really hampers our breakout and offensive zone time.

In spans where nothing happens, we build the momentum back fairly easily, e.g. leading up to the Soucy goal.
Our inability to clear the puck has been absolutely back breaking for this team.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
Bullshit officiating aside -

Thought the team played a pretty good first period. Outshot them, killed 3 PPs, and generally carried the play.

Just two bad plays end up in our net.

Also - as good as he was against Nashville, Cole has been the opposite plus 1000 against Edmonton. This might be the worst I’ve seen a Canucks defender play in the post season. All I’ve really got to compare it with was Sbisa against Calgary in 2015, and I never thought I’d see a comparable. I haven’t advocated sitting him to this point, but I think it’s time.

Agreed. Momentum is on our side. We survived some serious pressure situations. I think Cole has been better so far than he was in game 4, which isn't saying much.. but better than nothing. Petey engaged is a big sign and kudos for the fans in attendance for pumping him up.

No surprise that this another tight game. Let's GO!

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think both of them have been better than Cole has been in this one. Cole has been a one man wrecking crew putting pucks in his own net, turning over pucks that result in goals, or taking penalties that result in goals.

If any defensemen had been as bad in the Finals as Cole has been in this series, they’d have burned effigies of them during the riot.

I was worried about Tanner Glass’ safety for half an hour.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Oilers have completely neutered the Canucks breakout. Only Hughes can really breakout cleanly or Zadorov when he skates it out.

The rest of them dmen just play it off the boards or try those flip passes and pray.

You gotta ride Hughes hard this game, if I’m going down I’m going down with him playing huge minutes.
I'd ride you hard and go down with huge minutes.

• Love
Reactions: Nucker101

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Soucy-Hronek
To blame the forwards on that play is absurd, they just had a goal mouth scramble the puck becomes loose, and Soucy had enough time to get to it. He hesitates, and still gets there first, but falls down.

You can see them trying their best to skate back, but Soucy can't fall there if you are going to pinch.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I'm not sure why the Canucks have decided to play so loose and run-n-gun in this series.

Constantly giving the Oilers speed and space through the neutral zone. It's exactly what they haven't done all season which has led to all our success. Puzzling breakdown of systems.

Also did not like Miller's body language in that first period, looked like pre-Tocchet JT.

Miller apologized to Tocchet after game 4, he better apologize during the intermission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad