GDT: WCSF GM 4 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Tue, May 14 | 6:30PM PST | SPAC | Thunderdome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Tochett just charging up Podkolzin. Dude gonna score a hat trick when he finally gets a game in.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Good 'ol "Crest Shot" Mikheyev needs to leave Petterson's line.

Not a lot of great alternatives but maybe try PDG and Karlsson with Petterson?

It will never happen but I wish Tocchet would move Lindholm up and shift Petey to the wing. Blueger is more than capable of slotting into the third line role. We need to try something because Pettersson just isn't going to light fire with Mikheyev on this wing.

Reactions: Indiana

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
It will never happen but I wish Tocchet would move Lindholm up and shift Petey to the wing. Blueger is more than capable of slotting into the third line role. We need to try something because Pettersson just isn't going to light fire with Mikheyev on this wing.
What are you moving Lindholm up to? He is already the 2nd line center.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I like this idea in that we can dress both Juulsen and Friedman and have them both play less minutes/ minimize their exposure. It does put the onus on who will be partnered with them (Cole?) to be even more on his toes.
If Soucy is suspended, which I still doubt will happen, we will ride the hell out of a top 4 of Hughes/Hronek/Zadorov/Myers. Cole/Friedman/Juulsen will get very few ES minutes IMO.

Reactions: Indiana

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I maintain that it was dumb af for Tocchet to scratch Hoglander. He's a bonafide NHL player. The Modo fodder that replaced him played good. But it was still a bad decision.

Hoglander has been absolute rubbish besides finally showing a sliver of effort the previous game. Definitely deserved a sit. Karlsson played way better imo and didn't look out of place and was far better defensively. They team/Garland gave him the player of the game puck.

Aman also played very well. I was wary at first but both moves turned out to be good plays. Aman is a very good skater and positionally sound. He really makes it hard for the opposition to get things going and he's always good for a decent chance or two.

Reactions: ziploc

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
mcdavid-soucy-pantera.jpg

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think Soucy will get suspended. He shouldn't but he will because it was McDavid.

But I think if they do suspend him then it ignores entirely the whole context of the play.

The game is over, McDavid is obviously frustrated and angry, and Soucy shoves him in the ensuing scrum behind the net. McDavid responds with a baseball style windup slash to Soucy which is 100% not a proportional response. Both Zadorov and Soucy respond to McDavd's slash with pretty proportional responses, in my view, but admittedly, the "result" is a cross check to McDavid's neck. But it seems no one is questioning whether Soucy intended to cross check McDavid in the neck, and I think its accepted that this was the unintentional result of the Zadorov cross check. Keep in mind though, it does not appear that McDavid was injured, so the ultimate "result" - if we are weighing that is the be all and end all - is that there was no injury. It is very suspect reasoning to ignore lack of intent and focus on the "result" of the cross check to McDavid's neck, but then ignore the ultimate "result" being no injury suffered by McDavid. In my view, you should be consistent with either approach.

But ultimately, even ignore the intent/result, I find particularly distasteful that there could be a result here where somehow both Zadorov and Soucy are the only ones punished given that McDavid was the most morally blameworthy participant in the event given his intentionally uncalled for slash on Soucy.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Hoglander has been absolute rubbish besides finally showing a sliver of effort the previous game. Definitely deserved a sit. Karlsson played way better imo and didn't look out of place and was far better defensively. They team/Garland gave him the player of the game puck.

Aman also played very well. I was wary at first but both moves turned out to be good plays. Aman is a very good skater and positionally sound. He really makes it hard for the opposition to get things going and he's always good for a decent chance or two.
I liked both of them, Aman was especially notable on the late pks. But heavens to murgatroyd they need to get EP going. It is astounding we have come this far without his offense. I know he has been playing well defensively, but they need him on the scoresheet.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
If Soucy is suspended, which I still doubt will happen, we will ride the hell out of a top 4 of Hughes/Hronek/Zadorov/Myers. Cole/Friedman/Juulsen will get very few ES minutes IMO.
While that's probably true, we will still need Cole, Friedman and perhaps Juulsen to spell the top 4 and it would be best by committee since Cole is wearing down and I'm not sure I trust either Friedman or Juulsen entirely. You could have Juulsen take a few shifts on the 4th line to truck a few Oilers and he has some PK utility that Friedman doesn't have.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
This is all the Oilers have. We are way better at ES, especially with Silovs heating up.

The only choice they have, and their media knows it and is all in on the effort, is to try and turn it into a special teams circus any way they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad