GDT: WCSF GM 4 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Tue, May 14 | 6:30PM PST | SPAC | Thunderdome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yeah this hasn't been remarked upon enough. Lafferty is not having a good playoffs - go out and hit some guys! His physicality hasn't been noticeable at all.

Would happily to 11F/7D.
Yeah, Lafferty hasn't really raised his intensity at all, he had weeks of play during the regular season where he was more involved physically than he has been during these playoffs. He's a no brainer to let walk as a UFA.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Damn did anyone see that the last three games McDavids line been playing basically 30 mins per game? Hopefully they are worn out this game.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Ignore the noise, just play game 4 and come out of that with a W.

I think that we can say they have been doing this the whole playoffs from the moment Demko got hurt in Game 1 and we felt like we were just totally ****ed, compounded by losing Desmith after a fantastic G3 performance. They have just been going out there and sticking with the plan for the most part and were one bad decision/one bad deflection away from being up 3-0 in the series.

Oilers are the ones who should be feeling the absolute cacophony of noise—they're supposed to be a top ranked contender in the prime of their run with 2 of the top 3 players in the league.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'd but Hoglander back in for Lafferty. Or Podz, but hahahahaa who are we kidding.

Wonder if PDG gets back in if he was just our for "personal reasons." Hope not, as I liked Aman's game.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The game;

Okay, the Canucks have broken Skinner and infested the Oilers with doubt.
Silovs is playing beyond his age. Talk about calm, the game is slow for him. That was a veteran move to grab Ryan's stick. Does anyone realize how fast the decision had to be.

There is so much pressure on the Oilers whereas the Canucks were not even expected to be here so every game is a win regardless of outcome.

At one point in the game the play by play guy stated it was the smallest triangle for a PK he had ever seen, but it baffled the Oilers for awhile. There were no passing lanes and it was like having 5 goalies. I wondered and then saw the confusion if caused. Protect the slot and high danger passes. Sort of like collapsing down onto the net only before necessary. They even mentioned it. A cult approach to defend at all costs.

And Demko is skating and getting closer too. But then what? Maybe have Demko as back up for a few games? Get him into a few games late? Ride the winner, the kid that is in their heads for now.
Tocchet can't now but he should sit Pettersson out of a game just so he can see the game from above, it might help him.

You can bet the Oilers start their 3rd or 4th line to try to engage some Canucks into a dance or do what the Canucks did to them.

It is a best of three now for the Canucks, they can do it, one more game. The Canucks seem to be able to turn it on when playing from behind, a different style.

I think the first and last 15 minutes will decide the game.

Can the Canucks break Picard too? Cause the breakup of the core in Edmonton? The regular season, the Oiler keep saying it doesn't matter but they keep saying it so it sits there in their minds.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Yeah, Lafferty hasn't really raised his intensity at all, he had weeks of play during the regular season where he was more involved physically than he has been during these playoffs. He's a no brainer to let walk as a UFA.
4 points in 4 games vs Oilers in the regular season.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Averaging less than 9 minutes a game.
6 shots in 9 games so far with 1 high danger scoring chance.
Counted 3 opportunities to block shots in the last game, but ducks out of the way.
Doesn't PK or play any defensive minutes.

Thing I noticed is he's going for hits each shift, however you notice this impacts the 4th lines ability to cycle or maintain possession of the puck in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Nucker101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
4 points in 4 games vs Oilers in the regular season.
That's good for him, I think his play with the puck is about what I'd expect, but his hits per game rate is pretty similar to his reg season, you need guys like him to wear down the opponent's dmen in a playoff series.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
This is my first real exposure to the older Oilers reporters and every single one of them are absolutely miserable useless f***s. Jim Matheson, Mark Spector, Terr Jones, etc. As much shit as the current Canucks media gets, I don't think they are anywhere near this level.

here's the bright side of this; these guys are a self-feedback loop with the old boys club of oilers management and it's largely why the team is so dogshit lmao. they are the reason why kevin lowe was in the front office forever, why ken holland was able to run back mike smith in net and not have anyone question him, etc.

it's like 5 or 6 imacs with a few walkers added for good measure with no pushback.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
That's good for him, I think his play with the puck is about what I'd expect, but his hits per game rate is pretty similar to his reg season, you need guys like him to wear down the opponent's dmen in a playoff series.
I think he had two goals and they were both pretty much the same drive down the right and over the pad blocker side. Haven't seen many bottom 6 driving the net this series. The instruction to get it deep comes before trying to actually make a hockey player in Tocchet's book.

aregora

Jan 6, 2018
Good 'ol "Crest Shot" Mikheyev needs to leave Petterson's line.

Not a lot of great alternatives but maybe try PDG and Karlsson with Petterson?

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Yeah this hasn't been remarked upon enough. Lafferty is not having a good playoffs - go out and hit some guys! His physicality hasn't been noticeable at all.

Would happily to 11F/7D.
I like this idea in that we can dress both Juulsen and Friedman and have them both play less minutes/ minimize their exposure. It does put the onus on who will be partnered with them (Cole?) to be even more on his toes.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Why in the world are we talking about 2 players getting fines and possible suspension, and there is nothing about the 2 hander that McD gave Soucy? WTF?

Edit - and it was after the game was over, and there was no provocation of any extent. This is Bullshit.

Reactions: Indiana

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Hilarious :laugh:

1715627943693.png

Forgive the shit photoshop job. I spent as much time on it as the Oilers front office did on finding a goalie.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
I maintain that it was dumb af for Tocchet to scratch Hoglander. He's a bonafide NHL player. The Modo fodder that replaced him played good. But it was still a bad decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad