GDT: WCSF | Game 5 | Detroit Red Wings @ Chicago Blackhawks | 8:00 PM EST | NBC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Nice cherry-picking. Then I said:

All that didn't change at all. The play in our zone hasn't become better or worse. It's just that Chicago capitalized a few times.

Like I said if you were only talking about their play with the puck, then you should have been more specific. (In tonights post)

What you said tonight was that the D was atrocious, and that they couldn't play in their own end, not that they can't play in their own end with the puck.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Hawks played well and Wings just weren't prepared for this.

Hawks also out competed Wings. They won every battle every puck.

Also Wings gave up. Z failed a captain big time tonight

I think this is proof of how physically drained the Wings were for this game. They came out swinging but after chasing and defending all 3 periods there was just nothing left in the tank. As mentioned on the main boards, no more drinking in between games guys!

I don't think it's that painful honestly. Chicago is a GOOD TEAM. Even if they're going down, they're going down fighting. Detroit is a good team too, though, and they'll see that on Monday.

If the Wings don't take it on Monday, then people can worry. I think Detroit is in charge of its own destiny until then.

The Wings have a lot going for them- a hot goaltender, and the series lead. As of now we've completely earned the right to be where we are at, the doorstep of the WCF.

This was Chicago's night, nothing in the universe could stop it. I would say also there was some concerted effort from the League and Hawks sympathizers on high to make sure they could win. Calls were made to the players to support them and I get the feeling Q was given some fresh strategy on how to play the Wings. I'm not complaining about reffing but it seemed to be weighted in the Blackhawks favor. A few calls allowed/not allowed that would normally have gone the Wings way. Now we know how other teams feel. :)

Give credit to Chicago for finally showing up this series. They played with the edge we've had for the last 3 games. It's like they stole a page from our book, suffocating our offense and breaking up plays. Pushing the rules to slow us up with subtle interference and stick-work. It did feel like we were dominated. I'm not worried but concerned that we lost all 3 periods and were more fatigued as the game went on. Start by winning one game? We need to win a period. The Wings are going to have to muster all their will and strength for game 6, it should be epic.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
This is what happens when fans go trash talking all over the forum. It comes back and bites us in the ass.

Zetterbergs Beard

Red Wins fan
May 20, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I don't like the Wings' chances of winning the series anymore :(

That being said, nothing is impossible (impossible is nothing)! I hope they take Game 6; that's virtually a must-win right there.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I didn't get the chance to see the game, but statistically, it looks very similar to the first game in the series. They couldn't sustain the pressue then and I doubt they will be able to now.

Did we really expect them to roll over and play dead for us?

We have two chances to get one win, they need to take two. I like our odds. But, honestly, I think any of the Western conference teams left will have hard time with the winner of the Pittsburgh/Boston series.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
ProPAIN you are 0-2 in the series. Just do not start the thread my friend ;)

Man, I know. It sucks each time I do a GDT they lose in such pathetic fashion. I was supposed to do Monday's GDT, but something has come up after work and I won't be able to post in time so, hopefully Shoalzie can come through. If not, I can create the template and I'll send it to Flashy and/or Shoalzie to post.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
Datsyuk 3-5-8
Cleary 4-4-8

Is Dastsyuk hurt or something? Does he have a point in the series?

i saw that coming. the wings success is based on a ultra defensive system. datsyuk is used as a 3rd defender and has to cover mediocre player vs opponents top lines. just pay attention where he is when he gets the puck to carry it out of the zone. hard to score when you have to play a 5vs5 penalty killing vs the opponents top lines all game long. i would be interested how much time he is spending in our zone and how much time in opponents zone. nevertheless he is a danger to any other team and they have 2 people around him when he gets the chance to go to the offensive zone. plus he has to play with garbage only if not on a line with zetterberg. but this is babcocks tactics. shut downopponents top line with garbage leaves more player for attacking the opponents less talented lines.

you can find datsyuks stats on the stats sheet here:
toews 5gp 2points -2
perry 7gp 2 points +-0

next to howard he is the mvp on this team.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
the wings success is based on a ultra defensive system. datsyuk is used as a 3rd defender and has to cover mediocre player vs opponents top lines. just pay attention where he is when he gets the puck to carry it out of the zone. hard to score when you have to play a 5vs5 penalty killing vs the opponents top lines all game long. i would be interested how much time he is spending in our zone and how much time in opponents zone. nevertheless he is a danger to any other team and they have 2 people around him when he gets the chance to go to the offensive zone. plus he has to play with garbage only if not on a line with zetterberg. but this is babcocks tactics. shut downopponents top line with garbage leaves more player for attacking the opponents less talented lines.

you can find datsyuks stats on the stats sheet here:
toews 5gp 2points -2
perry 7gp 2 points +-0

next to howard he is the mvp on this team.

While I agree Datsyuk is being used as a third defenseman, he is not playing with garbage. Franzen can score with the best of them, but Dats has not been very successful in providing open ice for him and getting him the puck. That's what great players do: when they are double-teamed, they get the puck to an open linemate. Dats is NOT having a very good series, and I'm as big of a fan as it gets. And Toews is Zett's stats, not Dats'.

Again, I don't think Hawks did anything special. They were NOT extra motivated. A bunch of boneheaded penalties from Abby made it possible. Had those two penalties not happen, the result could be very different.

I still can't believe Nyquist is playing so little. And I can't believe Smith is playing so much.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I don't think Pavel played poorly, he just made a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes.
Monday night we need the all out effort we've seen lately and we can do this.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
The problem is the Hawks did to the Wings what Z and co. have been doing for the past three games. The Wings took the dumb penalties, the buckled under the pressure and outhit/outskated us. Usually Shaw, Bickell and Toews lost their cool, but this time they used the crowd to allow them to cross the line at times. Some of those late, crunching hits just gave them confidence and the Wings didn't do anything to counter that. This is where a player like Tootoo thrives.

Oh well, game 6 will be huge. The crowd will have a big role to play in getting behind the team and boosting their confidence. I'd like to see Tootoo play but they are doing fine with the current lineup.

The defensive pairings are going to have get their act together. And Abdelkader has to stop playing like Shaw. Stupid spear cancelled out a tripping penalty and he then lost his cool.

The big guns are going to have to show up. Franzen, Filppula, Datsyuk and even Zetterberg to some degree were not making enough of an impact in the offensive zone. The third line has been good all playoffs, but they have to win their battle. Depth has to contribute.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Man, I know. It sucks each time I do a GDT they lose in such pathetic fashion. I was supposed to do Monday's GDT, but something has come up after work and I won't be able to post in time so, hopefully Shoalzie can come through. If not, I can create the template and I'll send it to Flashy and/or Shoalzie to post.

The secret is Justine Abdelkader. Mo Justine, Mo goals :)

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007

well just in case there is no confusion. im not talking about our fine mods doing their job :nod:

I just think .. well never mind. over and done with. I'm in a rather good mood this morning.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
The problem is the Hawks did to the Wings what Z and co. have been doing for the past three games. The Wings took the dumb penalties, the buckled under the pressure and outhit/outskated us. Usually Shaw, Bickell and Toews lost their cool, but this time they used the crowd to allow them to cross the line at times. Some of those late, crunching hits just gave them confidence and the Wings didn't do anything to counter that. This is where a player like Tootoo thrives.

Oh well, game 6 will be huge. The crowd will have a big role to play in getting behind the team and boosting their confidence. I'd like to see Tootoo play but they are doing fine with the current lineup.

The defensive pairings are going to have get their act together. And Abdelkader has to stop playing like Shaw. Stupid spear cancelled out a tripping penalty and he then lost his cool.

The big guns are going to have to show up. Franzen, Filppula, Datsyuk and even Zetterberg to some degree were not making enough of an impact in the offensive zone. The third line has been good all playoffs, but they have to win their battle. Depth has to contribute.

yeah I guess it was hard to match their intensity. Still I thought Wings came out period 1 alright. And Hawks made a biggest mistake by trying to sit on a lead staring period 2. Then Abby took the stupidest penalty i've seen in a long time by a red wings. Hawks came on again and.. Wings did nothing remotely close to come back in this game. game over.

I would have been way better off Wings just forfeited this game. Since Hawks are feeling very good, learned to be determined and figured out how to score by crashing the net, It will be a huge understatement if I say Wings face alot tougher opponent than they faced game 3 and 4.

Actual Thought*

The Wings will be fine. It seems that teams down 3-1 almost always win game 5. I would think the Wing's "emotional tank" is more full than that of Chicago at this point. The Hawks spent a ton of "emotional capital" to get this win. Babs will have the team prepared for game 6.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Abby's penalty was really stupid but the ref definitely should have given Bolland at least 4 for that added spear after he tripped Pav.

I don't think officiating played much part in the game. My biggest problem with refs is they are so inconsistent

Shawn Lutz

Oct 15, 2011
Rockwall TX
Pavel is fine folks.

I was disappointed in the outcome last night but knew fully going in Chicago would bring it and they did. We did fine early but the PP goal while Pavel was stickless seemed to be the end of us for the night.

Regroup and be prepared to battle. We're up 3-2 in the series with another chance tomorrow to send them golfing...lets make that happen ;)

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Abby's penalty was really stupid but the ref definitely should have given Bolland at least 4 for that added spear after he tripped Pav.

I don't think officiating played much part in the game. My biggest problem with refs is they are so inconsistent

Yeah, I'm confused about the people seeing the Abby penalty as the most horriblest stupidest penalty evar!

Bolland went after Datsyuk with his stick after the whistle. You typically get a get-out-of-jail-free card to get him back once, especially when a star player is the one gone after.

I have no problem with what Abby did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad