GDT: WCF | I | "The Fault In their Stars" | Oilers @ Stars | 5.23.24 | 6:30PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think the narrative around this series is right where we want it to be. Everyone is fawning over the Stars "depth" (while ignoring their defense issue), saying the Oilers don't have a chance, need McDavid to be supernova to have a hope of winning, etc.

In reality I think this is a really close matchup and we're in a much, much better position than people think we are. Not having this team's tires pumped for once will be good for this group and give us a chance to get out to a hot start IMO.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Everyone making Oettinger as some unbeatable force, books have him as current favourite to win Conn Smythe , Drai going to turn that around quickly first few games. I’d be surprised if Oettinger plays as well as Silovs did. Also good for Dallas having a “deep” team, all take our top end talent over their so called deep lineup any day.
Agree, I'd rather have the best 1st line than the best 4th line, but different strokes...

Reactions: zoo99

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We made Silovs look better than he was. Had we not taken periods (and game 5 off) his numbers wouldn't have been so good.
His numbers actually werent that good.
Sv% was .898 in the series.

This team does tend to overpass a little too much at times though.

I am curious to see how the team will manage the clogged up neutral zone.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
This is it! LFG!!
Not as nervous as the Vancouver series for some reason. Probably should be though, that's a deep team. Haha.
No dumb penalties, no bad goals and get our PP back on track.
Same on the nervous front. Think it’s because Dallas is the clear favourite and Oilers will benefit from the underdog role (less pressure).

Really hope our third line wakes up tonight. Them and Skinner are the key to us beating this team. If they both don't show up, this will be a fast one. If they do, we are winning this bitch.
I would add that having a healthy, fully energized McDavid is a huge factor.

Reactions: CrazyJoeDavola

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
His numbers actually werent that good.
Sv% was .898 in the series.

This team does tend to overpass a little too much at times though.

I am curious to see how the team will manage the clogged up neutral zone.
Believe it or not? The LA Kings were better at clogging the neutral zone.

The Kings use a 1-3-1

The Stars use a 1-2-2 but play an aggressive man-on-man defense on zone entries, but collapse to a zone defense when the puck goes below the circle.

It almost looks like a Swarm, but more effectively deployed.

So basically the Stars will give us the zone whenever we want it, but pressure REALLY high in their end to force offsides and turnovers, or dump-ins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
jMO0fbz.gif

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I think the narrative around this series is right where we want it to be. Everyone is fawning over the Stars "depth" (while ignoring their defense issue), saying the Oilers don't have a chance, need McDavid to be supernova to have a hope of winning, etc.

In reality I think this is a really close matchup and we're in a much, much better position than people think we are. Not having this team's tires pumped for once will be good for this group and give us a chance to get out to a hot start IMO.
Yes I agree with this. This team lets any amount of success go to their heads.

Also - hammer Tanev. All their d have played a ton of minutes. Need Kane to get out there and put him through the end boards a couple of times.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yes I agree with this. This team lets any amount of success go to their heads.

Also - hammer Tanev. All their d have played a ton of minutes. Need Kane to get out there and put him through the end boards a couple of times.

Yep we need to hammer the right side of their defense. They're already exposed there, need to wear it down even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad