GDT: WCF | GM1 | Edmonton Oilers at Dallas Stars | 7:30PM CT | TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Man I forgot he was. Not gonna lie I threw away my hate for the Canucks and was cheering hard for the Canucks to beat the Bruins that year.

Yeah, the amount of people cheering for the Bruins that year was extremely weird, especially fans in eastern Canada.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Am I the only one who felt the depth players were evenly matched and Dallas' depth didn't really shine?
Dallas doesn't have a true superstar player like a McDavid etc. That could hurt them. They are the Canes of the West. No superstar to get them over the hump despite being very solid in all areas. At least that's how I see it. Traditionally the teams that have won have a top player to guide them. Eichel last year, MacKinnon and Makar 2 years ago, Kucherov etc. Not all the time but the absolute majority.
Huge breakdown from elite hockey eyes.
Well said. Their depth might not be scoring, but they are doing everything else very well especially their penalty kill. It has been lights out. You need good special teams come playoff time and both of EDM's have been fantastic. That alone has really carried them.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
You do realize that you are saying the Stars got too many soft calls, don't you?
I'm saying it's well overdue that the reffing didn't go in the Oilers favor. I agree there were a couple bad ones (the double minor wasn't one of them) but ya'll have absolutely nothing to complain about with how the first 2 series were called

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Dallas doesn't have a true superstar player like a McDavid etc. That could hurt them. They are the Canes of the West. No superstar to get them over the hump despite being very solid in all areas. At least that's how I see it. Traditionally the teams that have won have a top player to guide them. Eichel last year, MacKinnon and Makar 2 years ago, Kucherov etc. Not all the time but the absolute majority.
Their offense is better than Carolina's IMO. As is their goaltending.

Nogatco Rd

noble man who is loved by many animal
Apr 3, 2021
Its weird seeing Bissonnette with all but 22 career points with Gretzky who averaged about 22 points a week in his career. :sarcasm:
Neither are very compelling on TV.

Gretzky is there because of his on ice accomplishments, which IMO hasn’t really carried over to any special level of insight as a commentator.

Biz is there because of the success of his podcast - that success has a lot to do with the rapport between him and his buddies/cohosts. Doesn’t bring a lot to the table outside of that milieu.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Now that's a load of bs :laugh:

Come on dude

How many people do you talk to that are normal hockey fans from Vancouver? People on here are not normal, and are far and away the minority. I'd wager less than 0.1% of Canucks fans know what HF is.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Their offense is better than Carolina's IMO. As is their goaltending.
Yes, but again, they don' t have a top star player to really put them over the edge which is my point. Robertson was their top point scorer in the regular season and he only had 80 points. Not saying Dallas can't win and they very well could. But as I said, traditionally teams that win the cup have that a top star player, that game breaker.

Nogatco Rd

noble man who is loved by many animal
Apr 3, 2021
One major takeaway, which emerged last series actually,

The Oilers are a very deep team. Guys like Brown, Holloway, McLeod, Janmark can play

Oh and Henrique is still on his way. They are saying he's back early in the series. So next game or game 3
Exactly. Was saying the same thing last round —the fact that the bottom half of their roster basically carried them to their last few W’s vs Vancouver bodes well for the rest of the postseason

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
How many people do you talk to that are normal hockey fans from Vancouver? People on here are not normal, and are far and away the minority. I'd wager less than 0.1% of Canucks fans know what HF is.
You legitimately believe that the heavy majority of Canucks fans are cheering for Tanev, and not cheering against Edmonton?

The Oilers could be facing any opponent right now and you guys would be cheering against them. It has nothing to do with the fact Tanev is on Dallas

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
they were the best ES scoring team in decades

That doesn't negate what I said, they also only had 4 players with more than 50 points. Vancouver that year had 5 while missing the playoffs, and a 6th who was on pace to that only played 71 games.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
You legitimately believe that the heavy majority of Canucks fans are cheering for Tanev, and not cheering against Edmonton?

The Oilers could be facing any opponent right now and you guys would be cheering against them. It has nothing to do with the fact Tanev is on Dallas

I talk to Canucks fans in real life, so yes. The prevailing sentiment is that they want to see Tanev or Luongo win the cup.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
That doesn't negate what I said, they also only had 4 players with more than 50 points. Vancouver that year had 5 while missing the playoffs.
They also got a massive season out of Markstrom that year, iirc. Until Edmonton at least. Believe he comfortably lead the league in shutouts that year and was also elite against Dallas in round 1.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad