Series Talk: WCF: Dallas Stars vs Edmonton Oilers (EDM Leads 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Dallas Stars in 4

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Dallas Stars in 5

Votes: 211 23.8%
  • Dallas Stars in 6

Votes: 259 29.3%
  • Dallas Stars in 7

Votes: 45 5.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 4

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 5

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 6

Votes: 160 18.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 7

Votes: 128 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
images.png

Who y'all got?!

Dallas Stars (1C) vs. Edmonton Oilers (2P)

Western Conference Final

Game 1: Oilers at Stars -- May 23, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 2: Oilers at Stars -- May 25, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 3: Stars at Oilers -- May 27, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 4: Stars at Oilers -- May 29, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ Game 5: Oilers at Stars -- May 31, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 6: Stars at Oilers -- June 2, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 7: Oilers at Stars -- June 4, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ if necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sports2 and Tofveve

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
the point you’re making is irrelevant to my original post. Dallas will get a boost, but, again, the poster I quoted acting like you’re getting an Art Ross level player back is banter 😂😂😂
Roope scored 30 goals this season, and 37 each of the two seasons before that.

Last edited by a moderator:

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Like I said, Oilers need the big boys AND Skinner to show up to win. Game 1 they showed up, game 2 only Skinner did. Oilers need things to go right for them to win, Dallas doesn’t.

Stars in 5, at worst 6.
Dallas was relying on Oettinger the entire first period, without that performance it would be 2-0 Edmonton. But hey, Dallas "depth" is winning them series only 4 guys have scored for them (1 was a empty net) lol.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Edmontons best chance is a perfect storm where everything clicks, Dallas is a much more complete team.

Edmonton showed a lot of cracks in the previous series, Dallas has the ability to capitalize on them..

Edmonton showed a lot of cracks? And Dallas didn't?

Edm showed exactly how that series was. Fantastically, viscious, hard fought, fast, mean, dirty, nasty, and entertaining. Van prob puts up same as Edm against Dallas.

I'm so surprised at a few things
- Dallas for all the pre hype hasn't looked intimidating at all.
- Majority of those 'in the know' write Edm off.
- The arrogance of the vibe that Dallas will just prevail by not doing anything more than relying in their world class depth.

We'll see how outspoken the mouthpieces are after being on real ice with an incredible atmosphere.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Reading is hard, I get it.

Knoblauch definitely brought it up in the post game presser.

I hate the constant ref bitching. It truly is universal. But can you honestly say the calls have been fairly distributed?

I have no problem whatsoever for the non calls against Dallas except for one which I'll get into next. But those same non calls are not being afforded to Edmonton. But that happens and teams need to deal with it. Knows response was prob not in reference to just last game but most of the POs as well. Again, not bitching about not getting calls, more like not getting same calls.

One blatant penalty that was purposely ignored for obvious game management was the game 1 breakaway when Heiskanen slashed Holloway. That play is almost as automatic a penalty as over the glass ones.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I hate the constant ref bitching. It truly is universal. But can you honestly say the calls have been fairly distributed?

I have no problem whatsoever for the non calls against Dallas except for one which I'll get into next. But those same non calls are not being afforded to Edmonton. But that happens and teams need to deal with it. Knows response was prob not in reference to just last game but most of the POs as well. Again, not bitching about not getting calls, more like not getting same calls.

One blatant penalty that was purposely ignored for obvious game management was the game 1 breakaway when Heiskanen slashed Holloway. That play is almost as automatic a penalty as over the glass ones.
Do calls have to be evenly distributed? Is that how this works?

The double minor in OT had to be called, maybe McDavid shouldn't have high sticked Duchene like that, if he didn't draw blood and send Duchene to the locker room for repairs it wouldn't have even been called, they literally tried to ignore it in real time. Take that one away and it's 3-1 in game one, which is not that crazy. Game 2 was 2-1 Edmonton, and they literally got a call in the last 2 minutes of the game, maybe they should have capitalized instead of taking another penalty.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
I voted Dallas in 5, personally, and still think that's the case. Edmonton hasn't been that scary. Game 1 was literally a coin toss, game 2 Edmonton was good for about 15 minutes, then Dallas took over.
Tbh, I feel the same way about Dallas. Great team no doubt, but very lucky to have an elite Oettinger. They are no juggernaut that could win in spite of bad goaltending.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Tbh, I feel the same way about Dallas. Great team no doubt, but very lucky to have an elite Oettinger. They are no juggernaut that could win in spite of bad goaltending.
Sure will be something when this series goes back to Dallas with Dallas leading 3-1. Go ahead and bookmark this one.

They were really good all year and the goaltending was not great
Yep, Oetter had a pretty terrible season, but has come back to form at the right time.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Heiskanen is having one of those Hedman/Keith/Doughty-type Conn Smythe-level runs so far and in a series where everything else is up and down that consistent level of 'f*** you' can make a difference

this one looks like it's gonna go the distance but I don't think you can beat a team whose #1 dman is playing like that

I guess McDavid is the secret ingredient though and Bouchard is also instant offense so while I still lean Dallas' way it's not like they're out of the woods until they are

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Do calls have to be evenly distributed? Is that how this works?

The double minor in OT had to be called, maybe McDavid shouldn't have high sticked Duchene like that, if he didn't draw blood and send Duchene to the locker room for repairs it wouldn't have even been called, they literally tried to ignore it in real time. Take that one away and it's 3-1 in game one, which is not that crazy. Game 2 was 2-1 Edmonton.

Absolutely agree about double minor. Our perspective here (and McDs argument) was that Duchene should have gotten 2 for holding his stick or holding. IMO maybe. Debatable. But the high stick is an absolutely legitimate call.

Understand though that there is history here as well as the way it was called. Apparently the linesman called it as he was the only one to see it. (Which is incredible in itself, I mean WTF is a ref watching seconds into an opening face off with nothing else happening?).
But that's fine. Linesman made right call. Issue is it wasn't called until next whistle after a huddle. The next issue is the missed call on McD for hsticking Hughes in Van series. Extremely unlikely that that wasn't discussed in scrum and influenced call as they didn't want to look like fools.
Still - right call. Just trying to explain why I think there's bitching.

As for even penalties or balancing them - nope don't think or want that at all. Quite the other way in fact. If Dallas is truly deserving of one bench penalty and no other infractions, and Edmonton runs around all night, if the calls were in favor of Dallas 12 to 1 I'd be ok with that. Pissed of course but ok.

But that's not how the game went. Dallas had many plays that could've been called. So did the Oilers. The difference and why the this is even a topic is that the Oiler penalties were the same minor infractions that Dallas was guilty of. In fact one was a phantom call.

For my liking, the result should've been the 4mins to McDavid and the too many men for Ds bench. Add another one on either side if need be. I love putting away the whistles, but do it consistently and for both teams.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Edmonton showed a lot of cracks? And Dallas didn't?

Edm showed exactly how that series was. Fantastically, viscious, hard fought, fast, mean, dirty, nasty, and entertaining. Van prob puts up same as Edm against Dallas.

I'm so surprised at a few things
- Dallas for all the pre hype hasn't looked intimidating at all.
- Majority of those 'in the know' write Edm off.
- The arrogance of the vibe that Dallas will just prevail by not doing anything more than relying in their world class depth.

We'll see how outspoken the mouthpieces are after being on real ice with an incredible atmosphere.
WDI

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Absolutely agree about double minor. Our perspective here (and McDs argument) was that Duchene should have gotten 2 for holding his stick or holding. IMO maybe. Debatable. But the high stick is an absolutely legitimate call.

Understand though that there is history here as well as the way it was called. Apparently the linesman called it as he was the only one to see it. (Which is incredible in itself, I mean WTF is a ref watching seconds into an opening face off with nothing else happening?).
But that's fine. Linesman made right call. Issue is it wasn't called until next whistle after a huddle. The next issue is the missed call on McD for hsticking Hughes in Van series. Extremely unlikely that that wasn't discussed in scrum and influenced call as they didn't want to look like fools.
Still - right call. Just trying to explain why I think there's bitching.

As for even penalties or balancing them - nope don't think or want that at all. Quite the other way in fact. If Dallas is truly deserving of one bench penalty and no other infractions, and Edmonton runs around all night, if the calls were in favor of Dallas 12 to 1 I'd be ok with that. Pissed of course but ok.

But that's not how the game went. Dallas had many plays that could've been called. So did the Oilers. The difference and why the this is even a topic is that the Oiler penalties were the same minor infractions that Dallas was guilty of. In fact one was a phantom call.

For my liking, the result should've been the 4mins to McDavid and the too many men for Ds bench. Add another one on either side if need be. I love putting away the whistles, but do it consistently and for both teams.
Welcome to the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad