WC: WC popularity and attendance

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I'm just glad this stupid two countries WHCs come to the end. And I hope that Stockholm especially won't be applying for antoher WHC for a long time.

The two-country host isn't ending this year. Both candidates for 2017 are dual-countries: Denmark/Latvia and France/Germany. Though hopefully the IIHF sees the tepid reaction to the tournament the past few years and stops it. They should focus on just one country, keep the tournament close together that way and make things more exciting.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Sweden doesn't have that general interest for hockey, at least not in the greater city areas where you host tournaments. We know how to support our local teams and usually Tre Kronor. We are also having every game televised, people(including me) are too comfortable.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Hockey in europe is mostly in north.Most europeans don't play or watch the game.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
it's prices. USA-GER was a family game and was a sell out. A family game being a game where 4 tickets with 2 adults 2 children type of thinking was available as a package.
The next family game will be FRA-GER, will be interesting to see if that's a sell out as its a far lower quality game..

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
The two-country host isn't ending this year. Both candidates for 2017 are dual-countries: Denmark/Latvia and France/Germany. Though hopefully the IIHF sees the tepid reaction to the tournament the past few years and stops it. They should focus on just one country, keep the tournament close together that way and make things more exciting.

I know. I was talking more to these specific two-country championships in Finland and Sweden, not in general. For smaller hockey nations like France or Denmark it maybe could work and more important it won't be two years in a row.
Either way, if just one country host, it's the best IMO.

PS: Denmark and Latvia really want to share tournament? I thought they applied independetly.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I'm just glad this stupid two countries WHCs come to the end. And I hope that Stockholm especially won't be applying for antoher WHC for a long time.

A tournament in the Czech Republic? I vote for it any day! We badly need to go south. Up there north they manage to sell the worst beer at the highest price. It's an accomplishment for sure.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
The best solution has nothing to do with WC. Make the league seasons more synchronized. Start and end NHL season 4-6 weeks earlier. End KHL season a month later. Etc.

What is actually the reason why NHL season starts and ends so late? Seems stupid to have NHL playoffs at the same time NBA has its own when there's plenty of more silent time few weeks earlier.

Ofc this wouldn't solve the problems but would reduce many of those.

I couldn't agree more. There is no better solution.

------------------------------------------------

Btw. hockey fans complaining about too many hockey games? What an absurd world has this become.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
A tournament in the Czech Republic? I vote for it any day! We badly need to go south. Up there north they manage to sell the worst beer at the highest price. It's an accomplishment for sure.

Well, see you in Prague in 2015, I'll be there ;)

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
You have to pay 8 € for one beer !!! :amazed:

for that price.... No. Better stay at home.

This - I'd have to feel like an idiot if I ever paid that for beer. The same goes for actual hockey since the price is always the same and it can be good for really good game, but it can be also very bad price for some very bad game. And hockey is unpredictable product. There's no risk in not coming, so I understand why people stay at home.

AllezLucerne

Dec 27, 2012
Suisse
Alcohol in scandinavian countries is expensive. This isn't really new.

I'd totally vote for to make the tournament in Czech Republic like every second year :naughty:

Hemsky001

May 17, 2012
Well...ticket prices, no hype and not very strategic place to hold the WCH. Another reason could easily be an alcoholic tourism and its disadvantages in the northern countries of Europe.. Europeans are passionate drinkers and when it comes to hockey, there are always thirsty throats. :laugh: And I almost forgot.. uninteresting concept of the group stage. 7 matches is way too much.

Last edited:

premadonna

Oct 5, 2012

This is why God created Estonia and Baltic booze cruises.
beer.gif
Now that I think about it, Tallinn would've been a good place for this year's tournament.

Finnish fans will invade Stockholm if Finland makes it to semifinals. Could happen even if Finland doesn't make it there lol.

AllezLucerne

Dec 27, 2012
Suisse
I guess for Finns it doesn't matter where the games are, alcohol is still cheaper than at home ;)

I remember the tournament in 2009. Drunk Czechs trying to teach drunk Finns and drunk Swiss some Banik Ostrava Songs :laugh:

Shadowthrone

Zombies Welcome
Sep 24, 2006
Franconia, Germany
I guess for Finns it doesn't matter where the games are, alcohol is still cheaper than at home ;)

I remember the tournament in 2009. Drunk Czechs trying to teach drunk Finns and drunk Swiss some Banik Ostrava Songs :laugh:

And this is what's so awesome about the WC. Celebrating the game of hockey with fans from so many nations in beautiful, historic European cities. I've been to 7 since 2003 and always had a blast.

It may not be a best on best, it's pretty good hockey nevertheless, but you can't beat the atmosphere.

Wouldn't want to miss it.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010

:laugh: I guess I know what songs exactly.. :laugh:

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Supply and Demand it must be.. Aguess we have some of that demand in Alcohol :sarcasm:

Yeah the Nordic way of doing things, get stoned on beer and Vodka at home, just enough conscious to pass through the entrance to the arena. Then try to sober up enough to actually see the game and perhaps even remember some parts of it the next day.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd

I'd totally vote for to make the tournament in Czech Republic like every second year :naughty:

Well when it comes to food and beverages you often get what you pay for. Sweden does have the highest quality beer in the world and paying a little extra for that isnt really a downside imo.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Well when it comes to food and beverages you often get what you pay for. Sweden does have the highest quality beer in the world and paying a little extra for that isnt really a downside imo.

Why dont you recommend couple of trademarks? I probably will visit the bolaget soon anyway. I doubt you mean those lighter beers on shops?

Reznor

Feb 20, 2013
Fribourg

8€ for a beer isn't really a little extra, it's the double of what we pay in Switzerland where it isn't cheap already.
And the world's best beer is in the hockey arenas in Sweden? That must be a joke.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Why dont you recommend couple of trademarks? I probably will visit the bolaget soon anyway. I doubt you mean those lighter beers on shops?

Lighter beers?:rolleyes: Anyway my personal favorite is mariestad:) Falcon is also worth trying out.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
8€ for a beer isn't really a little extra, it's the double of what we pay in Switzerland where it isn't cheap already.
And the world's best beer is in the hockey arenas in Sweden? That must be a joke.

Czech has reputation as one of the best beer countries, and it's not thatexpensive.. so probably price has nothing to do with beer quality. But it is about where you buy it, if you buy it from crappiest and cheapest restaurant, I wouldnt beer suprised if the beer had some water on it to make it more profitable to seel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad