WC: WC: 2024 Team Sweden Roster Talk

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
My favourite memory of him is not any of his calls, unless it was him who did the Zibanejad's WJC golden goal call. Thats one of my all time favourites. My favourite memory of him is how polite he is and how is a pure class as a person.
That was Chris and Micke Renberg!

Reactions: FinPanda

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
There were several other issues. Mainly the fact that all swedish centers are primarily defensive minded. So the puck distribution was lacking. Raymond and Kempe are top class complimentary pieces but neither of them are used to driving a line. And ofcourse Czechia were exceptionally good at exposing the weaknesses with the offensive defensemen.
Fair points. But Sweden came at us in the first period and dominated as I expected them to from the get-go, just didn’t follow it up and we adjusted. I thought after the first eight minutes that we lose 7-2 or something.

It seemed at times that we beat them mentally, not because they were executing badly. Looked like we counteracted their initial dominant onslaught. And if your game plan is counteracted by another team that plays tactically smart, it gets difficult. Plus there were the unlucky bounces. We had one against us as well - Krejcik own goal 20 second after which we equalised - which I thought would break our team. 1-2 behind against this Swedish Defence we an Italy feared game ober.

But instead the other lucky goal off the referee to make it 3-2 seemed to break the Sweeds for a while.

We also committed a major foul that deserved 5+20 and was overlooked then (Rutta is now suspended for the final). After that, the referees MASSIVELY overcompensated for Sweden (non-faul by Rutta, tons of Swedish trips not called, like the crazy glaring one on Pastrnak, etc), which should have raised Sweden’s confidence. We know IIHF refs are terrible against absolutely every team but after the Rutta missed call, it was insane. I cannot understand this experienced Sweden team did not take advantage.

Reactions: Czechboy and EK47

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Fair points. But Sweden came at us in the first period and dominated as I expected them to from the get-go, just didn’t follow it up and we adjusted. I thought after the first eight minutes that we lose 7-2 or something.

It seemed at times that we beat them mentally, not because they were executing badly. Looked like we counteracted their initial dominant onslaught. And if your game plan is counteracted by another team that plays tactically smart, it gets difficult. Plus there were the unlucky bounces. We had one against us as well - Krejcik own goal 20 second after which we equalised - which I thought would break our team. 1-2 behind against this Swedish Defence we an Italy feared game ober.

But instead the other lucky goal off the referee to make it 3-2 seemed to break the Sweeds for a while.

We also committed a major foul that deserved 5+20 and was overlooked then (Rutta is now suspended for the final). After that, the referees MASSIVELY overcompensated for Sweden (non-faul by Rutta, tons of Swedish trips not called, like the crazy glaring one on Pastrnak, etc), which should have raised Sweden’s confidence. We know IIHF refs are terrible against absolutely every team but after the Rutta missed call, it was insane. I cannot understand this experienced Sweden team did not take advantage.
Agreed

Fortunatley I was busy and missed most of the second period :laugh:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Couldn’t watch the last two games but can anyone explain to me why they didn’t use Karlsson on the first PP? Hedman and Dahlin are fine players but Karlsson was quite clearly on a different level in the games I saw.

Reactions: EK47

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This team had 2 stay at home D in Pettersson/ Brodin. We should have gone with Nemeth/Salomonsson instead of Heed and Bengtsson. Too many ballerinas in the backend.

Last edited:

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Couldn’t watch the last two games but can anyone explain to me why they didn’t use Karlsson on the first PP? Hedman and Dahlin are fine players but Karlsson was quite clearly on a different level in the games I saw.
Yeah, mind boggling. Maybe they thought the second PP needed Karlsson to be functional? I also don’t understand why they switched sides from the first few games on Olofsson and Burakovsky. The reason you want Olofsson there at all is his one-timer and putting him on the left side then just doesn’t make sense.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
This team had 1 stay at home D in Pettersson. We should have gone with Nemeth/Salomonsson instead of Heed and Bengtsson. Too many ballerinas in the backend.
You don’t consider Brodin, one of the best shut down defensemen in the NHL a stay at home d-man?

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Olofsson 4 points in 9 games...
He got a lot worse in an instant when they moved him to the left side on the powerplay. It looked fine when Bura was on the left side. And it also made way more sense since bura is a more creative player. Whoever was in charge of that mess needs to be let go.

Reactions: Slimmy

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I couldnt watch semis with any real level of attention. With that said, if our offense should come from our D and Czechs are known for their counterattack break aways, forwards need to back check like their life depends on it. Doesnt seem to have been the case in the semis.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
He isn’t really a line driver so the lack of quality puck distribution from the available center options really hurt him. He looked better last year when Carlsson centered him. Still did pretty well though.
What i dont get with that analysis is that he still looked good on Detroit with Larkin missing from the line up. In my mind he could crwate something from nothing. But didnt see much of that i this years WHC.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
This team had 2 stay at home D in Pettersson/ Brodin. We should have gone with Nemeth/Salomonsson instead of Heed and Bengtsson. Too many ballerinas in the backend.
I agree on Heed and Bengtsson, but honestly, Hedman shouldnt be bad and Dahlin aswell. It is a system problem rather than personalities.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Karlsson started at PP1, on the left wing of Hedman who was the QB throughout the tournament for whatever reason.

Through the group stage PP1 sucked and PP2 did good. So to fix this they just tried swapping Karlsson & Dahlin. PP1 continued to suck whenever Dahlin didn't have the puck.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
What i dont get with that analysis is that he still looked good on Detroit with Larkin missing from the line up. In my mind he could crwate something from nothing. But didnt see much of that i this years WHC.
Can’t argue with that.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Karlsson started at PP1, on the left wing of Hedman who was the QB throughout the tournament for whatever reason.

Through the group stage PP1 sucked and PP2 did good. So to fix this they just tried swapping Karlsson & Dahlin. PP1 continued to suck whenever Dahlin didn't have the puck.
Yeah, it was strange. PP1 needed major changes and not just switching one player. Should've taken Hedman of the PP, letting Karlsson running it and adding another forward. I don't think Raymond worked in the "bumber" role. Move Raymond to the wing, and move Kempe to the other unit.

Karlsson
Burakovsky - JEE - Raymond
Grundström

Dahlin
Olofsson - MoJo - Kempe
Zetterlund

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
The Swedish system need to be adjusted agains great counter attack systems (like Finland and Czechs) . Has been a problem for way to many years now. Maby not go full speed and lure them in; i dont know but somethig most be done. I belive you shoudl play your own gameplan and style , but there must be variations in the system to answer these full D counter attack gameplans.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
The Swedish system need to be adjusted agains great counter attack systems (like Finland and Czechs) . Has been a problem for way to many years now. Maby not go full speed and lure them in; i dont know but somethig most be done. I belive you shoudl play your own gameplan and style , but there must be variations in the system to answer these full D counter attack gameplans.
Yes, also Russia.in the past very often played counterattack style vs Sweden

Reactions: ZEBROA

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Yes, also Russia.in the past very often played counterattack style vs Sweden
Exactly, hated those games, looked like we dominated, but still lost most of the time. Its the worst way to loose.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I’m missing Mårts. God damn his selections were sketchy and his attitude against NHL players was even sketchier but he was a solid game coach. Grönborg was a shit game coach but got the players to show up and buy into whatever he did, so they pulled off atleast some of what they were trying to achieve.
Lol I remember when you all were crying here for Marts to finally leave bench :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad