WC: WC: 2024 Team Sweden Roster Talk

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Need to generate better plays than vs Finland, or we'll hear again about how a goalie stands on their head.

Pretty much. We took 35 shots this game, but most of them were logo shots from the outer half or wrister attempts at an unobstructed goalie. This forward group sorely lacks a real playmaker who can set up sustained pressure. Basically, if Karlsson, Dahlin or Hedman isn't involved, not much happens.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Congrats on the win. I was sure Sweden would destroy this Finnish team but I guess we had heart and sisu after all. You did deserve the win, obviously you were the better team. That 4v3 powerplay was deadly.

I would cheer for you guys but you have too many gold medals so I guess I hop on Swiss bandwagon. If they lose, maybe I'll hop onto yours. ;)

Good luck on the semis.

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
Foppa switched from tinted glasses to ’normal’ glasses today.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
You had heart? I would say the opposite. Playing that boring was rather heartless. I mean ruining a world cup quarter final like that where's the respect?

So glad you are out now hopefully the Czech will try play hockey!
Oh no, it you again. I'm trying to be respectful here and you bring that to this thread as well? We didn't have the skill level to play high skill, high speed hockey. You may see it boring, but it kept on my feet and was super exciting for me to watch our battle. Opposite of boring.

Reactions: matsqq and Czechboy

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Oh no, it you again. I'm trying to be respectful here and you bring that to this thread as well? We didn't have the skill level to play high skill, high speed hockey. You may see it boring, but it kept on my feet and was super exciting for me to watch our battle. Opposite of boring.
Sorry for hijacking this.
You got a boring system, but the best when wanting to win with lesser players on paper. But this game was to exciting, i almost turned off the radio(yep followed the game oldschool) when you scored in the last minute😄. I thought there were no way in hell Sweden could win after that, but i carried on prepared to cry myself to sleep, again 😁Now i dont care if we win next game, this is a step in the right direction for Sweden.

There are many good Finnish fans, but you are one of the most level headed Finnish fan in here i belive.

Looking forward to the Olympics. 4 nations, not so much, i want the possibility for miracles on ice.

Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Sorry for hijacking this.
You got a boring system, but the best when wanting to win with lesser players on paper. But this game was to exciting, i almost turned off the radio(yep followed the game oldschool) when you scored in the last minute😄. I thought there were no way in hell Sweden could win after that, but i carried on prepared to cry myself to sleep, again 😁Now i dont care if we win next game, this is a step in the right direction for Sweden.

There are many good Finnish fans, but you are one of the most level headed Finnish fan in here i belive.

Looking forward to the Olympics. 4 nations, not so much, i want the possibility for miracles on ice.
I agree its a boring way of playing, but we played almost a perfect game for our level. Only thing we could've done better is to try to play little more offensive game when Sweden gave us the space. And well, score from our chances. I appreciate the kind words.

I had no bad words to say about Swedish posters, except the guy who I responded to with the message you quoted. I mean he had his opinion of our game and its fair enough, but some comments were actually rude.

One thing to say how you feel about a system, another thing is to not be super rude about it..

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I agree its a boring way of playing, but we played almost a perfect game for our level. Only thing we could've done better is to try to play little more offensive game when Sweden gave us the room. And well, score from our chances. I appreciate the kind words.

I had no bad words to say about Swedish posters, except the guy who I responded to with the message you quoted. I mean he had his opinion of our game and its fair enough, but some comments were actually rude.

One thing to say how you feel about a system, another thing is to not be super rude about it..
Absolutly agree in both cases 😊

Reactions: FinPanda

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Hallam... Sadly is not it.

I guess he gets another year to prove me wrong but he needs to really reflect on his player selections and coaching. More Cassidy, less DeBoer pls.

Reactions: Thovohkin

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Players from this team I want on the upcoming 4-Nations:

G Filip Gutavsson (3rd goalie)

D Victor Hedman
D Erik Karlsson
D Rasmus Dahlin
D Jonas Brodin

F Adrian Kempe
F Lucas Raymond
F Joel Eriksson Ek

Mojo/Holmberg/Burkie/Zetterlund are options for bottom-6.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
How has Raymond looked this tournament?
He isn’t really a line driver so the lack of quality puck distribution from the available center options really hurt him. He looked better last year when Carlsson centered him. Still did pretty well though.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
I've heard many times (and on these forums specifically) how great of a coach Hallam is. I am sorry, I don't see it. He is supposed to be strategic mastermind but again he has no answer for a lesser team. Moreover, Sweden again collapses under pressure. I don't see any plan that works against the team that is ready to die to win. We are soft and weak, we are psychological losing important games. We are paper tigers like no one else in modern hockey.

It's so funny to read previous posts about how limited Gronborg was. But you know, with all his strategic shortcomings, his teams had fight in them. Heck, he wanted to have a fistfight with opposing coaches on several occasions. Can you imagine Little Sam doing it? He looked lost and had no answer. Does he inspire confidence? What is his plan? Has he ever shown this? Low-danger shots from defense, what else?

I am not confident in upcoming Olympics. I think it's his last chance. It's not a matter of "give him time, his system will work". I'm missing the times of Gronborg and BAG. I'm missing the times of Sundin and Forsberg who could literally take the team and carry it on their back. We need true leaders. Sadly we lack in this department. I thought Hedman had this, but I think he's on not on the level of even Jorgen Jonsson or Thomas Rundqvist who were better leaders and had bigger balls. We need to stop chocking and learn how to handle blows.

Last edited:

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Yeah, this was definately a mental collaps. Gustavsson looked like a deer in headlights. Hedman and Karlsson are supposed to be the leaders of this team. But Karlsson was largely a non-factor and Hedman was visible for the wrong reasons. I was really disappointed in Hedman, he has always been one of my favorite Swedes, but today he buckled under pressure. He also didn't look good in the final minutes against Finland.

Do we go with both Hedman and Karlsson for the 4NT? Maybe their time is over and we have so many options.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Yeah, this was definately a mental collaps. Gustavsson looked like a deer in headlights. Hedman and Karlsson are supposed to be the leaders of this team. But Karlsson was largely a non-factor and Hedman was visible for the wrong reasons. I was really disappointed in Hedman, he has always been one of my favorite Swedes, but today he buckled under pressure. He also didn't look good in the final minutes against Finland.

Do we go with both Hedman and Karlsson for the 4NT? Maybe their time is over and we have so many options.
Karlsson was a pretty big positive to me. Every game he makes so many great outlet passes and dances on the blue line. Not his fault the forwards then screw it up and the system is what it is.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
I've heard many times (and on these forums specifically) how great of a coach Hallam is. I am sorry, I don't see it. He is supposed to be strategic mastermind but again he has no answer for a lesser team. Moreover, Sweden again collapses under pressure. I don't see any plan that works against the team that is ready to die to win. We are soft and weak, we are psychological losing important games. We are paper tigers like no one else in modern hockey.

It's so funny to read previous posts about how limited Gronborg was. But you know, with all his strategic shortcomings, his teams had fight in them. Heck, he wanted to have a fistfight with opposing coaches on several occasions. Can you imagine Little Sam doing it? He looked lost and had no answer. Does he inspire confidence? What is his plan? Has he ever shown this? Low-danger shots from defense, what else?

I am not confident in upcoming Olympics. I think it's his last chance. It's not a matter of "give him time, his system will work". I'm missing the times of Gronborg and BAG. I'm missing the times of Sundin and Forsberg who could literally take the team and carry it on their back. We need true leaders. Sadly we lack in this department. I thought Hedman had this, but I think he's on not on the level of even Jorgen Jonsson or Thomas Rundqvist who were better leaders and had bigger balls. We need to stop chocking and learn how to handle blows.
I’m missing Mårts. God damn his selections were sketchy and his attitude against NHL players was even sketchier but he was a solid game coach. Grönborg was a shit game coach but got the players to show up and buy into whatever he did, so they pulled off atleast some of what they were trying to achieve.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Ville Nieminen said on Finnish viaplay studio how "Dahlin is a losing player" and "Swedish superstar isn't coachable", "Sweden is soft and weak, they don't play with a system, they are doing their own thing on the ice". This was after 2nd period.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Dahlin is incredible. So intelligent. The problem for Sweden is these two last games is turning quantity into quality. Lots and lots of chances. But if they are half-chances.. It won't win games.

Hallam will figure this out, he is clever.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Ville Nieminen said on Finnish viaplay studio how "Dahlin is a losing player" and "Swedish superstar isn't coachable", "Sweden is soft and weak, they don't play with a system, they are doing their own thing on the ice". This was after 2nd period.
Don't know why is so hard on Dahlin. He was not the worst of the superstar defenceman, that was Hedman. I though Dahlin looked good

Reactions: mattihp

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Don't know why is so hard on Dahlin. He was not the worst of the superstar defenceman, that was Hedman. I though Dahlin looked good
I don't know. I didn't watch the game but I guess Nieminen was just super disappointed with the way Sweden played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad