Way too Early, but who is panicking more: Avalanche or Oilers?

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Avalanche
0-2
Georgiev - 8 goals against on 25 shots in 61:56 of gameplay
Annunen - 4 goals against on 17 shots in 51:09 of gameplay

Oilers
0-2
Outscored 11-2 so far

My guess is Oilers fans are laughing thinknig they can repeat last year. Avs fans are ready for literally anyone else in net.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Edmonton did the exact same thing last season but the Pacific is so weak that they can slack and still make the playoffs so I'm not worried for the Oilers

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Oilers will be fine, it would be stupid for them to panic IMO. Avs though have a goaltending problem and it's wild that Sakic/Sherman didn't address it in the off-season.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Oilers lost a lot of depth from last year.

They should be worrying, this is not a good team.
Man scrolling through your post history is like a quick review of all the worst hockey takes in one spot, I love it.

Y'all have really short memories if you think this Oiler thing is new -

The Ducks, Sharks and Flames aren't playoff teams. The Kraken and Kings are sus, so it's an easy route to the playoffs if the Oilers turn it on. The sky was falling last year after 10 games, but then they went juggernaut and had the best record in the league for a while, with the best powerplay in history. They'll be fine.

If I'm the Avs, I'm worrying. A lot.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Oilers are panicking 100X more, Avs have their Cup and you have seen McDavid's outburst and tears in the locker-room...much more desperation in Oil Country.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
This is why you don't turnover too much of the roster in just one summer.

Oilers don't need Broberg and Holloway right?

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Pacific is weak so Edmonton is not panicking and Avs have Rantanen, MacKinnon and Makar so they will make the playoffs.

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
Both teams are plagued by bad goaltenders but Edmonton's defense is pretty bad in addition to that. However, they do have McDavid and he is the grease on that team. The other players rely on him way too much but he'll get going eventually and they'll be be an okay team once he does.

Of the two, Edmonton is in a better position because of a weaker division. They'll make the playoffs but won't go far due to their weaknesses. Maximum second round exit. Colorado is in a much tougher spot so it's a difficult call where they'll end up. I'm guessing a wild card spot and an early exit too. Probably first round.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Avs will be getting nichushkin and landeskog back, but Georgiev is a major issue dating back to last season.

Oilers need to find a way to play with a lead, playing madrai 25 mins a night chasing games isn’t ideal.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Neither team really has a goaltender commensurate with where the rest of the team is in its contention arc, but this is not a surprise and neither team will be panicking over it. Both should probably be making moves to upgrade at the position but neither has felt the need to do so in the last ~2 seasons. They are unlikely to look to do it now either.

Every team has to shave at the margins somewhere to ice the most competitive team possible under the cap, and this is their chosen strategy. They know that goal is not their strength and have made their peace with that.

It can work too, though sometimes you can have lopsided scores when the goalie isn't getting a lot of help. These clubs are built around the idea of outscoring your problems elsewhere. Neither club is built around the idea of a goalie stealing games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad