OT: Washington Commanders: 2022 Offseason - Part 1 - Commander Carson Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I got a right rear flat while in the left lane on 495 outer loop between the 123 and 66 exits so had to pull over on the left medium. I basically readied myself for death as I changed that tire while cars were blasting by in the left lane about 5 feet away going 65 mph+. Definitely the most stupid thing I've ever done. Will never do that again.

Very saddened by the Haskin news he had a long life and a lot more in his football career.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think Schefter's tweet is particularly bad? He didn't bad mouth the dude, just very plainly stated the obvious facts about how the general public knew Haskins. He probably should have included a pleasantry at the end, but otherwise it seemed fine.

Reactions: Corby78 and Jags

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I got a right rear flat while in the left lane on 495 outer loop between the 123 and 66 exits so had to pull over on the left medium. I basically readied myself for death as I changed that tire while cars were blasting by in the left lane about 5 feet away going 65 mph+. Definitely the most stupid thing I've ever done. Will never do that again.
I've changed a tire on I-95 next to a sound barrier before. Was pants shittingly scary.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Whatever the circumstances of his time here, whatever the circumstances that led to his death, just an incredibly sad, sad thing.
I was a harsh critic, but will only think about the good so many who knew him have said about him and hope that that's the narrative that will come to be most remembered.
RIP, Dwayne Haskins, Jr.

Reactions: Hivemind

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Per Dane Brugler of The Athletic:

Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah
Bernhard Raimann, LT, Central Michigan
Logan Hall, DE, Houston

All projected to go in the first two rounds. All three have a military connection. So get ready for one of these guys to be picked.

Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State, went to Fort Union Military Academy. Projected to go in the 5th/6th round.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Per Dane Brugler of The Athletic:

Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah
Bernhard Raimann, LT, Central Michigan
Logan Hall, DE, Houston

All projected to go in the first two rounds. All three have a military connection. So get ready for one of these guys to be picked.

Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State, went to Fort Union Military Academy. Projected to go in the 5th/6th round.
I know RR is a military guy but is there a track record of him picking players with military ties that I’m missing?

Having said that, players with military backgrounds are ok in my book. They are less likely to pull dumb shit outside of team activities.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

Of course they bid against themselves.

FFS.....is there anything Mayhew and Hurney can do right? And will Ron ever grow a set and chastise these idiots for bidding against themselves? Of course not. After all, they're 'good, solid football people' with 'solid character.' Watching Mayhew and Hurney operate is like watching Paul Holmgren and Chuck Fletcher operate - it's a f***ing joke.

• Haha
Reactions: g00n

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Of course they bid against themselves.

FFS.....is there anything Mayhew and Hurney can do right? And will Ron ever grow a set and chastise these idiots for bidding against themselves? Of course not. After all, they're 'good, solid football people' with 'solid character.' Watching Mayhew and Hurney operate is like watching Paul Holmgren and Chuck Fletcher operate - it's a f***ing joke.
Not even worthy of a blood pressure increase…..nothing should be surprising. Desperate fools make desperate moves. Still….not batting an eyelash at the cost.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I know RR is a military guy but is there a track record of him picking players with military ties that I’m missing?

Having said that, players with military backgrounds are ok in my book. They are less likely to pull dumb shit outside of team activities.
Well Jamin Davis has a military family, and he was a reach in round 1 and had a very underwhelming rookie season.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’ve gotten my arms around all of this:

Ron is a really good man, a decent coach, and is able to rally people to a cause. He’s loyal to a fault (and a big fault, unfortunately), rewarding said loyalty over performance, and generally is someone players actually want to play for.

That said, he wouldn’t know shrewdness if it not him in the ass, he surrounds himself with “like minded people (ie: yes men), and values idealism over correct team building. If he goes out and drafts more military based players just because, it will drive that idealism point home further. He’s rather do it “his way, the right way”, than win.

Reactions: g00n and max21

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia

Ron is a really good man, a decent coach, and is able to rally people to a cause. He’s loyal to a fault (and a big fault, unfortunately), rewarding said loyalty over performance, and generally is someone players actually want to play for.

That said, he wouldn’t know shrewdness if it not him in the ass, he surrounds himself with “like minded people (ie: yes men), and values idealism over correct team building. If he goes out and drafts more military based players just because, it will drive that idealism point home further. He’s rather do it “his way, the right way”, than win.
I’m not sure if you’re joking or not but this seems spot on. I could easily see Ron and co take a player with less talent with a military background over a superior player with potential off field issues. That’s good and all and character definitely matters but sometimes you have to take a risk, look at Parsons last year…

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
And also have no idea why Ron had such an influence and say in the name change, obviously he wanted a military themed/style name but who knows how long he will even coach here. Still hate the name Commanders and honestly just wish they kept it football team…. Kind of a bummer I was really looking forward to buying some new NFL merch but all the stuff I’ve seen is not even remotely appealing to me. Sigh, I’ll eventually come around to it

• Wow

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

That said, he wouldn’t know shrewdness if it not him in the ass, he surrounds himself with “like minded people (ie: yes men), and values idealism over correct team building. If he goes out and drafts more military based players just because, it will drive that idealism point home further. He’d rather do it “his way, the right way”, than win.
Not sure I agree with this opinion….but I also feel like Ideals are part of the core of team building, no?

Maybe I’m biased having grown up an Air Force officer‘s son, but I feel like discipline and hard work are often the foundation of those kinds of family units (even as much as I hated it at times, hell most of the time lol..).

Therefor if you have two similar talents, but one has a more stable upbringing and a history of hard work and dedication, is it a tough choice?

when I see a longer track record of reaches and the common denominator is always a military family, maybe worth a conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacoby4HOF66

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Not sure I agree with this opinion….but I also feel like Ideals are part of the core of team building, no?

Maybe I’m biased having grown up an Air Force officer‘s son, but I feel like discipline and hard work are often the foundation of those kinds of family units (even as much as I hated it at times, hell most of the time lol..).

Therefor if you have two similar talents, but one has a more stable upbringing and a history of hard work and dedication, is it a tough choice?

when I see a longer track record of reaches and the common denominator is always a military family, maybe worth a conversation.
Funny thing is the most famous Redskins player, I think, that comes from a military background is Griffin. Disregarding that douche, I agree with your comment as the son of a Marine.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
MD officials: No money for the Commanders, but we'll develop the wasteland around FedEx field regardless of their plans.

Maryland will borrow as much as $400 million to revamp the area around the Washington Commanders’ FedEx Field stadium, under a deal that Gov. Larry Hogan (R) signed into law Tuesday.
Prince George’s County government, not the team, would be able to access the money and finance the projects through the Maryland Stadium Authority, which has executed similar initiatives across the state for decades.
In contrast to the proposal Virginia lawmakers are developing, Maryland’s law expressly prohibits state construction of a pro-football stadium.

Hey Danbag, how does it feel to be a pariah? Oh, what's that, you're used to it, yeah that makes sense.

• Wow

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
From the above WaPost article:

Some team executives used the term “juice” to refer to revenue that was intentionally misallocated in the franchise’s accounting system and attributed to unrelated events, the letter says Friedman told the committee. According to the letter, Friedman testified that Snyder and Mitch Gershman, then the team’s chief operating officer, would instruct him to “identify security deposits that are on dormant accounts where, in my estimation, the likelihood of the customer coming forward and asking for their deposit back is as close to zero as possible, and then return the security deposit in the system and convert the credit that would then be on the customer’s account into juice.”

Such allocations would be made in part to avoid contributions to the pool of local revenue that NFL teams must share with the league and other franchises, Friedman told the committee. Friedman told the committee that the practice “occurred over the course of several years” and “was done at the direction and for the benefit of Mr. Snyder,” the letter says. It ended around 2017, Friedman told the committee, after Snyder ordered it to stop through Stephen Choi, the team’s former chief financial officer.

Juice? Sounds juicy.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Very saddened by the Haskin news he had a long life and a lot more in his football career.

Always call state police, tell them what's up, and ask for Safety Service Patrol. VDOT will send one out and they'll set up behind you, and help if you want.

Edit: In Maryland, they'll send CHART. CHART can even relocate your car to a safer area.

Last edited:
Reactions: usiel

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
And also have no idea why Ron had such an influence and say in the name change, obviously he wanted a military themed/style name but who knows how long he will even coach here. Still hate the name Commanders and honestly just wish they kept it football team…. Kind of a bummer I was really looking forward to buying some new NFL merch but all the stuff I’ve seen is not even remotely appealing to me. Sigh, I’ll eventually come around to it

Football Team is their heritage and tradition. I'm not going to call them by this new-fangled "Commanders" name. I will respect team history.

Reactions: Hivemind and max21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad