Washington Capitals to buy CapFriendly website. [UPD 7/10/24 Site closed down.]

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
There will be others to take its place. Already some are available and better. Puckpedia

Reactions: Devonator

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
oh well. I've always said that getting into the money side of sports, and then debating it, is almost pointless for a fan, so maybe this will be good for me.

Reactions: SirJW and Ciao

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
What the use of hiring the Cap Friendly guys if you're just going to blow 14 million over the cap anyway? By the way that 6 million over the 10% line allowed during the off season. I know Backstrom is worth 9.2 on LTIR, but I don't know the exact rule of when THAT will start counting anyway. It's still 5 over...

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
What the use of hiring the Cap Friendly guys if you're just going to blow 14 million over the cap anyway? By the way that 6 million over the 10% line allowed during the off season. I know Backstrom is worth 9.2 on LTIR, but I don't know the exact rule of when THAT will start counting anyway. It's still 5 over...

Perhaps they have some knowledge and ability that they feel they can utilize? Why would any company or organization buy up another company/organization?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Perhaps they have some knowledge and ability that they feel they can utilize? Why would any company or organization buy up another company/organization?

Lots of different reasons.

First it certainly happens that one company buys another just to shut it down.

Second you can buy it because you want certain assets of the company. Say a certain piece of real estate, or technology. Or you just want the people who work there.

Third - there may be some legal or accounting benefit to purchasing the company. Just as an example there a thing called a "reverse takeover", where in reality one company buys another, but on paper the other company becomes the new owner. This can be used as a stealth way of going public.

Fourth - maybe they just want to run the business as is. That happens too.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Oshie is done too

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Why? Haven’t you seen Elliott Friedman’s reporting that remarkably only about 30% of teams have detailed info about the information Cap Friendly was providing and the acquisition was sending many teams scrambling before the site went dark. I find this incredible and remarkably incompetent that NHL teams don’t have their own infrastructure for this sort of data but you can make it easy argument that this purchase will give Washington some sort of competitive advantage.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Why? Haven’t you seen Elliott Friedman’s reporting that remarkably only about 30% of teams have detailed info about the information Cap Friendly was providing and the acquisition was sending many teams scrambling before the site went dark. I find this incredible and remarkably incompetent that NHL teams don’t have their own infrastructure for this sort of data but you can make it easy argument that this purchase will give Washington some sort of competitive advantage.
If that is true...what Friedman reports...than this is a massive failure on the part of the NHL itself to maintain this fundamentally important information on behalf of all it's members and make it available.

This is not cloak and dagger stuff...it is basic info every team needs to know to be properly competitive. Not to mention that the league needs to know it all too, in order to maintain oversight over it's own rules?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad