Washington Capitals to buy CapFriendly website. [UPD 7/10/24 Site closed down.]

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
There's too much demand for this sort of information - both from fans and from NHL teams themselves. Another website will emerge - after all that's what happened when Capgeek went down.

Of course what the NHL should do is release this informaiton themselves, that way they have more control over it. Of course I don't expect that either...

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
How does Capfriendly accumulate their data? Do they fastidiously review every NHL contract? Do they have individuals in the league office that supply them with the info? Sources within every NHL team (maybe part of their TOS for subscribing franchises)?

If any of that is the case, then being owned by an NHL team would likely reduce the value. I can't imagine the league or any other organization would provide them with info if it benefits only one franchise. If the information is all available for public consumption, could the information and formulas be copied and instituted on another site?

:huh:

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

Not making salaries public protects the team management in contract negotiations. If i was the NHLPA, i would publish the salaries to provide more power to the players during contract negotiations. MLSPA publishes all salaries.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
  • Haha
Reactions: Major4Boarding

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Still can't believe a multi billion dollar business doesn't already have a system or process to track and analyze contracts. It still blows my mid looking back at the whole Dadanov no trade clause fiasco.

Reactions: Reaser and uncleben

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Not making salaries public protects the team management in contract negotiations. If i was the NHLPA, i would publish the salaries to provide more power to the players during contract negotiations. MLSPA publishes all salaries.

Salaries will still be published just not as nicely aggregated in a single site. Hopefully others within community step up and see the opportunity. Looking forward to how Gen AI like chatgpt will be able to aggregate this and present in different formats.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Walsh is right about one thing - whether it's the CapFriendly purchase or the treatment of Quebec City market the league kicks its fans whenever it has a chance. They seem to get a weird, cheap thrill out of it.

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
Walsh is right about one thing - whether it's the CapFriendly purchase or the treatment of Quebec City market the league kicks its fans whenever it has a chance. They seem to get a weird, cheap thrill out of it.
The bolded completely (and in my mind, knowingly) ignores that as much as PKP were willing to make political hay out of a QC NHL team, enough to get billions to replace Colisee Pepsi (that this wistful pining is also coming from the same guy who believes that Calgary shouldn't be given a free ride to do the exact same thing with the Flames is not lost on me in terms of irony) that PKP have been awfully silent when it comes to actually paying the money for an expansion team, and have been that since Vegas and Bill Foley set the going rate.

Reactions: oknazevad

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
that this wistful pining is also coming from the same guy who believes that Calgary shouldn't be given a free ride to do the exact same thing with the Flames is not lost on me in terms of irony
I was talking about the market and not the facility. From what I know of the situation the damage is done in QC. Here in Calgary the disaster is in its early stages (The damage can still be limited) and can still be averted by more competent people.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I was wondering the same thing. I understood it was supposed to go dark last Friday.
That was a theorized date. In the end, the site will finally come down as soon as the league tells the Caps to take it down, or when the Caps finally decide to take it down.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00