Confirmed with Link: Washington Capitals have acquired forward Andrew Mangiapane from the Calgary Flames for a second-round pick in the 2025

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think your numbers are off here. After this trade I have them in CF at 6.27M with Oshie in the lineup and just over 12M with him on LTIR.

View attachment 888422
Cap Friendly has them at 7.135m without Shep. So I thought 6.36m with him. So something off between the 2 sites. I didn’t do the actual math.

Regardless. Lappy takes one slot. That leaves 2 slots at F with CMM and Beck unsigned.

And about 5.5m to play with, w Oshie. Without means north of 11m. And then needing 3F’s
Instead of 2F’s.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The worst part about being a mod is not being able to use the ignore feature. Some of you are exhausting to read and I don’t know why you come here because nothing is ever good enough — I bet a few of you are really fun at parties! The GMBM slander is a good barometer for me to know who to take seriously and who not to.

If they’re not in contention and Mangiapane has a good season it’s not unrealistic to think they can get more for him at the TDL than they paid to get him. I’d prefer they’d get a game breaker — which he is not — but those players are harder to come by. Curious to see what is done about the blue line.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
A couple positives to note:

NHL EDGE credits him as 76th percentile in top speed (22.77 MPH) and 73rd percentile in number of speed bursts over 20 MPH (105, or just under 6/60 minutes of ice time). The closest speed comp to him on the Caps is Protas. Mangiapane's a little faster but Protas uses his burst a little more often. Another good skater being brought in.

Mangiapane's linemates this year (and most years) were Coleman and Backlund. In prior years that trio got middle of the road (50% OZ faceoffs in 21-22) to easy (58.0% in 22-23) deployments, but this year they Huska used them as his shutdown line (37.5%) and they excelled in that roll, flipping the ice and producing a 55.5 xGF%. They struggled a little turning those chances into goals and only had a 51.1 GF%, but still a good result for a tough deployment.

Cap Friendly has them at 7.135m without Shep. So I thought 6.36m with him. So something off between the 2 sites. I didn’t do the actual math.

Regardless. Lappy takes one slot. That leaves 2 slots at F with CMM and Beck unsigned.

And about 5.5m to play with, w Oshie. Without means north of 11m. And then needing 3F’s
Instead of 2F’s.

CapFriendly has Sgarbossa on their regular roster for some reason. Maybe he ends up being the 13th forward next year, but I think they'd rather have him helping the Bears. I sent him down, brought up Lapierre, and brought up Shepard based on MacLellan's comments about being ok with Lindgren and Shepard in goal.

I'm really not worried about the cap hampering them from fixing the blueline. They were always gonna have to move guys out to make room for additions, so they never needed a ton to do an overhaul there.

Last edited:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
On this trade specifically. Not bad. I can get behind the risk/reward and upgrade.

But seems like too many people look at things in a vacuum. Even with PLD people were like that is what they are doing this offseason? But of course there was more to come. And then Manigie (I like that). He can be flipped.

More importantly I don’t think they are done. I feel more and more like Milano is going to get moved. At only 1.9M he will fetch value and I feel caps have gotten what they needed from him.

Mac said he wants to shuffle the Dee so he is 100% trying to do that. What transpires who knows.

I’m not convinced Oshie or McMike are going somewhere (trade or LTIR).

I feel like there are 3-5 more moves to be had including moves for draft location.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
A couple positives to note:

NHL EDGE credits him as 76th percentile in top speed (22.77 MPH) and 73rd percentile in number of speed bursts over 20 MPH (105, or just under 6/60 minutes of ice time). The closest speed comp to him on the Caps is Protas. Mangiapane's a little faster but Protas uses his burst a little more often. Another good skater being brought in.

Mangiapane's linemates this year (and most years) were Coleman and Backlund. In prior years that trio got middle of the road (50% OZ faceoffs in 21-22) to easy (58.0% in 22-23), but this year they Huska used them as his shutdown line (37.5%) and they excelled in that roll, flipping the ice and producing a 55.5 xGF%. They struggled a little turning those chances into goals and only had a 51.1 GF%, but still a good result for a tough deployment.
This is a good breakdown. Thanks! Tells me this is a guy who can PLAY fast. Will fit well with Strome and Wilson.

On Scarbosa… he finished the year on the Caps roster so he sits there (on CF) until he gets cut at Camp down to Hershey. But yeah, he’ll be a bear again next year. Can’t see him getting claimed at 33.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
The worst part about being a mod is not being able to use the ignore feature. Some of you are exhausting to read and I don’t know why you come here because nothing is ever good enough — I bet a few of you are really fun at parties! The GMBM slander is a good barometer for me to know who to take seriously and who not to.

If they’re not in contention and Mangiapane has a good season it’s not unrealistic to think they can get more for him at the TDL than they paid to get him. I’d prefer they’d get a game breaker — which he is not — but those players are harder to come by. Curious to see what is done about the blue line.
It's funny, because I know who you speak of, but I can't see what the troll patrol is posting.

Come on ppl: Don't waste your time.

Mangiapane: Finally a name which will inspire some good gif/meme creation. I do that trade 10/10.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Smart move, can trade him at the deadline, retain and upgrade that pick.. potentially significantly if he has a good bounce back season. What would be dumb is if we extend him long term for anything remotely close to what he's making now.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
You’re upset because the GM upgraded the team for a 2025 2nd round draft pick that will be at the end of the round.

You muck up the thread with the same 2-3 points just regurgitated and spewed in different forms. You don’t like the GM. We understand that. You are unwilling to have a meaningful conversation about it. Anytime a poster engages with you in a thoughtful manner you don’t respond to them and move on to the next poster with “GMBM IS DOO DOO LOLZ” and expect someone to have meaningful dialogue with you. It’s tiresome at this point.
Actually I’m very willing to have a conversation about it. I can’t stand that we now taking up roughly 14.5 million in cap space for two players who are reclamation projects. Paying 14.5 million for less than 40 goals COMBINED. Did we technically “improve” sure. Did we approve enough to warrant spending nearly 15 million already? Not even remotely close.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
Aren't willing to... Do you really think it's that simple?

It's NOT a bidding war. Guys like Guentzel have a pretty fixed price tag. GMs know what the range is and several of them are willing to pay it. And for a player like that the list of teams will be pretty long, so it boils down to all the other stuff.

Is the team competitive? What's the tax situation? What's the weather like? If he's a family guy there's the question of neighborhoods and schools. If he's single, then it's the nightlife and city amenities.

NONE of that shit works in our favor. Never has. We're starting a rebuild, have high taxes, the weather is middling at best, and it's not a fun town unless you love museums and political scandals. DC was only a destination for free agents during our most competitive years, and that's over now.

We might be able to overpay to land a top free agent, but you'd f***ing hate that, too.

This is all achingly obvious, so you're either too young to know what DC hockey was pre-Ovi, old enough to have developed some memory loss, or stone stupid. You pick.
I’ve said multiple times I’d rather overpay in cap space for a legitimate talent vs filling the line up with reclamation projects.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This makes me a bit more optimistic about the short-term fit. That said, Calgary fans have been down on him since getting paid. Not an ideal situation there lately to be sure but he didn't step up. Canada also used him on the bumper on their PP I think so the Oshie parallels do start to add up (even if he's a lefty).

No offense to you personally but fan opinion is the last thing I trust when it comes to evaluating moves like this.

Fans don't coach or gameplan or play. They complain 90% of the time and only cheer when their team wins or lands a superstar...if he's cheap enough.

My dude I know your pain.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
No offense to you personally but fan opinion is the last thing I trust when it comes to evaluating moves like this.

Fans don't coach or gameplan or play. They complain 90% of the time and only cheer when their team wins or lands a superstar...if he's cheap enough.

My dude I know your pain.
Yes after my first stint as a mod after it was a relief to have an ignore for admittedly a very very segment of posters generally of one. I have developed in my second stint to be able to scan a bit an disconnect my own opinions. Admittedly on extreme data analytics folks who seem to willingly disconnect of a balance of common sense (imho). Basically fundamentalist of the spiritual side of things.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Actually I’m very willing to have a conversation about it. I can’t stand that we now taking up roughly 14.5 million in cap space for two players who are reclamation projects. Paying 14.5 million for less than 40 goals COMBINED. Did we technically “improve” sure. Did we approve enough to warrant spending nearly 15 million already? Not even remotely close.
We got rid of $5m in Darcy Kuemper. So, factually, $10m.

We are not going to turn back into a contender through free agency. It just doesn’t happen.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
So it’s kinda of a meh move but not really the players fault. Caps have to be in strangest situation of all teams in the league. Bmgm trying to do right by ovi but also move the team forward. So we don’t know what to think about next season. So when he says there will be moves , there’s some excitement but when it s a move to get an nhl body that’s really a sideways move it’s deflating a bit again. Actually no one’s fault, just an odd situation

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
But you haven’t been willing to. This is the first time you’ve actually put a few solid arguments together in this thread. Saying “our GM STINKS” “this team sucks” “there’s no direction” over and over without providing any type of analysis does nothing for any of these threads. There’s plenty of those posts around.

This team isn’t one large UFA signing or one superstar trade away from being better. These aren’t the sexy moves, but they are moves that have improved the Caps already. I dont think Mac targeted these guys unless he had input from his front office and coaching staff. Mitch Love would know a lot about the player since he was in the organization and in the same building in Calgary.

There’s plenty of offseason left over and we are going to see more salary moved out IMO. They aren’t running it back with the defense that’s currently constructed. They would be insane to do that. Plus, we haven’t even hit free agency yet. There’s a lot of time to sort this roster out and improve it based on the direction that they’ve been forced to do with Ovechkin being promised that there will be no rebuild while he’s around.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
I think its when you see what we spent almost 15 mill in cap space on. Lots having some buyers remorse
If you're going to account for PLD's 8.5 coming in, you have to simultaneously give them credit for clearing Kuemper's 5.25. So the net is 9.05 in (math 8.5 + 5.8 - 5.25).

And as others have pointed out, the cost for adding a potential top 6 center (even if he's 2C on a 1C contract) and a 2nd line winger was a backup goalie on a bloated contract and a late 2nd round pick.

Edit to add: I love the assumption that PLD and Mangiapane will, at best, replicate their last season (for both a down-tick compared to past results). Is there no chance that one or both could return to prior success (or even surpass it)?

PLD was a terrible fit in LA and Mangiapane was used in a shutdown role. I know that I'm hopelessly optimistic, but I do not think it is unrealistic that Mangiapane could hit 20-25 goals and 45-50 points (which would both be below his career highs but much better than last year) and that PLD could get back to matching his best season which was just under 30 goals and 60+ points.

Also, if these are Oshie and Kuzy replacements - they put up a combined 42 (!) points. Both guys, even in down years, hit 40 points.

As usual, there is a chasm between doing nothing, moves that tangibly improve the team, and are the moves enough? If you're in the last camp, fair, but I lend no merit to the argument that these moves have not tangibly improved the Capitals (both in 24-25 and beyond).

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean if you look at it as Mantha <> Mangiapane and Kuznetsov <> PLD, then i'd say we upgraded on both counts. Mantha and Mangiapane are very similar, Mantha is propably better on his best day but then again, Mangiapane cracks 40 points in his bad seasons and Mantha has only cracked 28 points once in his last 3 years.

As for Kuznetsov <> PLD, i hope it's a big upgrade. If it's only a marginal upgrade then we are basically boned for the next 7 years.

Also just for fun, i'd urge you to follow what Jake DeBrusk is going to be making this summer. That's basically Mangiapane's UFA comparable. I'd guess it's right around the same AAV as Mangiapane has but how much term? 5 years? Maybe even 6?
I mean, one guy has a handful of in the teens goal scoring seasons and one 35 (that looks like a massive outlier), the other has 3 over 25, another 2 with 19…….Debrusk should make considerably more, but if AM has a 20+ goal season in his contract year, and he’s right back around that value….

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Reclamation projects that are 28-year old small wingers doesn't seem like an ideal situation to pounce and preclude what else may have been available in time with patience. He's a lesser talent but better two-way Skinner. Fine. Fair. Good to great value for a second rounder? Who cares really. Still not what I'd consider a needle mover or anything approaching a first principle level player. They're going to have to pay up considerably more to add one. But mainly what this does is eat up cap space and unfortunately that's their bigger asset. Or was.

The 30-goal year seems more like an anomaly. Normally this is about a 20-goal scorer. Maybe there's a bit more with stronger teammates and a more prominent role. But you know who banks on more prominent roles for breakouts? Bad thin teams. Sometimes players just are what they are and it's not like the core is so dominant these days to where these situations can be easily finessed. It puts an awful lot on the coaching staff...

They very well may have more room to spend once Oshie gives them the word later in the off-season. But who knows what opportunities may pass by as they're potentially forced to wait.

What else are they going to do with the cap space this offseason? They have no assets to trade to make an impact, either because they shouldn't trade them (futures) or because they stubbornly won't trade them (you-know-who).

So it's down to budget moves and reclamation projects, or overpriced free agents. I think Matt Roy could be a good option as a UFA, and they can still easily afford that provided they trade one of Jensen or TVR. But aside from him the UFA options look kind of bleak. I like Guentzel but if he's getting 7 x $9.5Mish is that a price Washington should pay?

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't think the East has been put on notice with these additions, even if the value given up has been more than fine. They're fine additions. To what extent either player gels and makes those around them better is a big question and for me they need a greater certainty in that regard. There's still considerable work to be done. If this is basically it up front barring a Leonard signing or a cheap dumpster dive I'm not convinced it's enough firepower. It really depends on how strong of an off-season some of the competition has in turn (and just how much internal development takes place). It's all relative to the competition. How does Carolina navigate so much potential turnover? What else does New Jersey have in store? What does Tampa get up to? Does Pittsburgh have anything in them? Can one of the younger teams like DET/BUF/OTT make a splash to take the next step? How about PHI/NYI?

I don't think the Caps have gotten out to any real lead here. They also haven't given up prime assets per se and do have at least have the potential to be bold if they want. But they're likely restricted by the cap and also finding a taker for Jensen/TVR. There's not a ton to hack off this roster otherwise. Would they sign a free agent blueliner then, say, pay to dump Jensen/TVR for one of their remaining extra seconds? Wouldn't put it past them. For now it's hard to figure teams won't just wait and see if they can sign a Montour/Roy/Tanev/Walker/Pesce/Carrier. It's a deep RD group, even moreso with Ekblad, Trouba, Marino and Savard all potentially in play on the trade market as well.

The lack of clarity on Oshie's status makes it hard to believe they'd outright spend his space elsewhere instead of giving him the respect to find a solution. Maybe they know a little more about the likelihood of that minus a procedure. It is probably wishful thinking but MacLellan has made it sound more like they'd need until later in the off-season for it to be fully resolved.

All in all I think they needed to keep the bar extremely high in how they went about spending their precious cap space. They decided Mangiapane was worth it and we'll see. At best there's cap flexibility a year from now but I think it's fair to question the value of spending any picks for what essentially may be a stopgap (and one that doesn't have much of a track record as a consistent top six player). They needed to be active and will continue to be active. It's just an unconvincing start IMO with so much to play out across the league in the coming weeks.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
If you're going to account for PLD's 8.5 coming in, you have to simultaneously give them credit for clearing Kuemper's 5.25. So the net is 9.05 in (math 8.5 + 5.8 - 5.25).

And as others have pointed out, the cost for adding a potential top 6 center (even if he's 2C on a 1C contract) and a 2nd line winger was a backup goalie on a bloated contract and a late 2nd round pick.

Edit to add: I love the assumption that PLD and Mangiapane will, at best, replicate their last season (for both a down-tick compared to past results). Is there no chance that one or both could return to prior success (or even surpass it)?

PLD was a terrible fit in LA and Mangiapane was used in a shutdown role. I know that I'm hopelessly optimistic, but I do not think it is unrealistic that Mangiapane could hit 20-25 goals and 45-50 points (which would both be below his career highs but much better than last year) and that PLD could get back to matching his best season which was just under 30 goals and 60+ points.

Also, if these are Oshie and Kuzy replacements - they put up a combined 42 (!) points. Both guys, even in down years, hit 40 points.

As usual, there is a chasm between doing nothing, moves that tangibly improve the team, and are the moves enough? If you're in the last camp, fair, but I lend no merit to the argument that these moves have not tangibly improved the Capitals (both in 24-25 and beyond).

Even I admit they are better “on paper” than last year. My argument is how much better and at what cost? Their goal should be to improve to the point where they are capable of winning a playoff series since they haven’t since the cup. At minimum.

Reactions: Kazer

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
mmmmmm....

This board right now trying to enjoy the offseason trades.

200w.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad