Confirmed with Link: Washington Capitals have acquired forward Andrew Mangiapane from the Calgary Flames for a second-round pick in the 2025

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It’s not so much the player himself as it is the opportunity cost involved.

Really hard to feel inspired here. Shades of Connor Brown, Max Pacioretty, Curtis Glencross…

They needed to be creative with this space, not the same old keeping their fingers crossed for a bounce back year from a depth winger. Especially at 6 mil.

Creative in what way? No one has the appetite to make the actual bold and creative move that is sitting there in plain sight. Otherwise reclamation projects are the best they can hope for. Or full-price UFAs.

• Wow
Reactions: Ridley Simon

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
And if they're not in the hunt at the deadline I have no doubts that GMBM will be able to flip him for a similar pick that he just gave up for him ala edmundson last season.

Also it's Colorado 2nd so a late one.
That was the main thing I wanted to verify that it WASN'T the Caps one.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
Creative in what way? No one has the appetite to make the actual bold and creative move that is sitting there in plain sight. Otherwise reclamation projects are the best they can hope for. Or full-price UFAs.
The best we can hope for is they are god awful this year and it finally gets rid of GMBM

• Haha
Reactions: Ridley Simon

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
So is our GM my guy
You’re upset because the GM upgraded the team for a 2025 2nd round draft pick that will be at the end of the round.

You muck up the thread with the same 2-3 points just regurgitated and spewed in different forms. You don’t like the GM. We understand that. You are unwilling to have a meaningful conversation about it. Anytime a poster engages with you in a thoughtful manner you don’t respond to them and move on to the next poster with “GMBM IS DOO DOO LOLZ” and expect someone to have meaningful dialogue with you. It’s tiresome at this point.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Reclamation projects that are 28-year old small wingers doesn't seem like an ideal situation to pounce and preclude what else may have been available in time with patience. He's a lesser talent but better two-way Skinner. Fine. Fair. Good to great value for a second rounder? Who cares really. Still not what I'd consider a needle mover or anything approaching a first principle level player. They're going to have to pay up considerably more to add one. But mainly what this does is eat up cap space and unfortunately that's their bigger asset. Or was.

The 30-goal year seems more like an anomaly. Normally this is about a 20-goal scorer. Maybe there's a bit more with stronger teammates and a more prominent role. But you know who banks on more prominent roles for breakouts? Bad thin teams. Sometimes players just are what they are and it's not like the core is so dominant these days to where these situations can be easily finessed. It puts an awful lot on the coaching staff...

They very well may have more room to spend once Oshie gives them the word later in the off-season. But who knows what opportunities may pass by as they're potentially forced to wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayquaza64

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I like this as a reclaimation project more than last year’s, but I still am not exactly pumped about plugging another reclamation project into the top six and praying it works when we have some younger guys who could probably benefit from the experience

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Seems like MacLellan's strategy this year is banking on guys getting their production back after playing in a trap. Feels very low risk - in the worst case scenario that he produces the same and the Caps aren't looking like the real deal, they can flip him at the deadline for about what they gave up for him. Best case scenario he bounces back and they added a 30 goal-scorer for a late 2nd. I assume they didn't think Miro was ready so they needed another middle-six LW, and since he's on a one year deal he won't block Miro long term.

Not crazy about the use of the cap space though. This is a low risk move, but I'd rather use that cap space for a bigger swing.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Seems like MacLellan's strategy this year is banking on guys getting their production back after playing in a trap. Feels very low risk - in the worst case scenario that he produces the same and the Caps aren't looking like the real deal, they can flip him at the deadline for about what they gave up for him. Best case scenario he bounces back and they added a 30 goal-scorer for a late 2nd. I assume they didn't think Miro was ready so they needed another middle-six LW, and since he's on a one year deal he won't block Miro long term.

Not crazy about the use of the cap space though. This is a low risk move, but I'd rather use that cap space for a bigger swing.
Like others have said I think we know Oshies answer already.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So is our GM my guy

As a Penguins fan this is a bizarre take.

BM has been a f***ing awesome asset to the Capitals since day one.

He won a cup.

He has been riding the line perfectly between being "competitive" and selling tickets as his job and acquiring pieces for the future.

Miro, Lapierre, Leonard, Cirstall. The Caps don't have a "home run" prospect, but Leonard is about as close as you can get to that.

Just a super weird take.

PLD for Kuemper was a great move that costs nothing and potentially gives you a 26 year old top six C for nothing.

Mangiapane for a 2nd is fine because you can likely get back a 3rd in a better draft for him if you retain at the deadline.

I would absolutely kill for BM after how Rutherford's end years, Hextall, and Dubas have gone for the Penguins.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
No and that’s the problem. They aren’t willing to.

Aren't willing to... Do you really think it's that simple?

It's NOT a bidding war. Guys like Guentzel have a pretty fixed price tag. GMs know what the range is and several of them are willing to pay it. And for a player like that the list of teams will be pretty long, so it boils down to all the other stuff.

Is the team competitive? What's the tax situation? What's the weather like? If he's a family guy there's the question of neighborhoods and schools. If he's single, then it's the nightlife and city amenities.

NONE of that shit works in our favor. Never has. We're starting a rebuild, have high taxes, the weather is middling at best, and it's not a fun town unless you love museums and political scandals. DC was only a destination for free agents during our most competitive years, and that's over now.

We might be able to overpay to land a top free agent, but you'd f***ing hate that, too.

This is all achingly obvious, so you're either too young to know what DC hockey was pre-Ovi, old enough to have developed some memory loss, or stone stupid. You pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad