Confirmed with Link: Washington Capitals have acquired defenseman Jakob Chychrun from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for defenseman Nick Jensen and a 2026 third-round pic

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Are you referring to the Koharski Klipboard game?? Lmao.

That game got one of my college roommates into hockey. Sadly, since he was an obnoxious a hole, he hitched up to the penguin bandwagon that spring.
Refresh my memory... I don't recall that one! I remember May working over Jeff Chychrun proper at the end of a period at LA in 1992. Tough day to google anything Chycrun today without getting Jakob results but did see May worked him over down in the minors as well.

I do recall the have another donut fat pig incident. Hilarious Schoeny bumped/almost knocked over Koharski over and the NHL refused to suspend him so the refs protested.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sens fans really coping by shitting all over the player, when they should be mad their GM paid premium prices to acquire him and have no extension in place
In all fairness chychs effort levels in the second half were daming. That's why there were so few trade suitors. Very raw talented player, probably one of the best pure physical talents in the league. Very few have his size, skating, skill and shot. But he rarely initiated contact. Lost many battles he should easily win. When he plays well and engaged he looks like a Norris trophy level d man. But his controller unplugs for more than one reason. Half the time it looks like he isn't interested the other he forgets he's playing hockey?... I dunno. I think the price Ottawa paid and the hype of a local player coming in was exciting. But his play really slipped last year in the second half. Definitely some coping but the warts were real.

That being said, amazing value deal for Washington. Can't believe the sens couldn't even get a 2nd. It's likely a steal no matter what but could be highway robbery for the caps.

Ottawa never played him with a strong RHD. Roy may really stabilize him. I don't think he was used properly in Ottawa.

Jensens decline is scary. As a sens fan seeing Walker sign for 3.8 × 5 only and they trade chychrun for Jensen it's upsetting. Paying Walker 4.1 over 5 would have been much more prudent.

Really liked the caps offseason. Two pretty big enigmas in Chychrun and PLD but if they both buy in and show up consistently your GM looks like a genius.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Refresh my memory... I don't recall that one! I remember May working over Jeff Chychrun proper at the end of a period at LA in 1992. Tough day to google anything Chycrun today without getting Jakob results but did see May worked him over down in the minors as well.

I do recall the have another donut fat pig incident. Hilarious Schoeny bumped/almost knocked over Koharski over and the NHL refused to suspend him so the refs protested.

lol. Game I’m referring to happened January? 91 at cap centre. It was also the beaupre bludgeoned berube with his blocker…Dale introduced gord murphy’s cheek to the glass game. It wasn’t actually a clipboard, rather a legal pad of paper. Line brawl(s) koho is just standing around taking notes. Caps were stacked that game…Hunter, may, Kypreos, Hatcher before he took up the Gucci bag, big John kordic. Sheehy was hurt, broke his leg preseason.

My roommate was like…are they always like this??!!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Between Cokes on the bench, Subway Spicy Italians, and Chychrun's TikTok-inspired diet, Washington might have the worst nutrition in all of professional sports!

Time for Brooks Orpik to become their full-time nutritionist.

Come on Twabs, who among us hasn't ripped the heart out of a live cow and eaten it once or twice before?

No one else?

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018

Between Cokes on the bench, Subway Spicy Italians, and Chychrun's TikTok-inspired diet, Washington might have the worst nutrition in all of professional sports!

Time for Brooks Orpik to become their full-time nutritionist.
Has anyone checked this dude for vitamin deficiencies? I'm pretty sure certain vitamin deficiencies can cause cravings for raw meat.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Why are the Sens doing this? Chychrun was a prized acquisition for the Sens, and he ends up playing only 1 full season with them before being unceremoniously dumped for a decaying Jensen and a 3rd rounder 2 years from now. It’s sorta like PLD - after welcoming him with great fanfare, they couldn’t get rid of him fast enough

The price we paid for Chychrun was more a result of our former GM being one of the worst managers in recent memory vs. an accurate reflection of him as a player.

I think Chychrun can be a good, offense-first 2nd pairing guy. He has an unreal shot, is a solid passer, and is good at jumping in off the rush.

If paired with the right partner (and it seems like that's the plan in Washington with Roy), he can be a solid guy who plays 20-21 minutes a night and puts up ~45-50 points.

His downside is that he's quite poor in his own end. He routinely makes bad decisions, takes way too many bad penalties and for a guy as big as he is, is allergic to contact. He needs to be insulated.

It didn't work in Ottawa because we had a logjam at LD, didn't have a need for another defenseman who was weak at actually playing defense (Chabot has that covered), and to be honest, his effort level last year was terrible. And reportedly, he wasn't well liked in his room.

I think there's some shock at the return because of his name recognition, but in reality, his value is probably a little bit lower than John Marino considering he's a pending UFA.

He's probably worth a 2nd + 3rd in an all futures package, and Ottawa took Jensen instead of the 2nd to fill in immediate need, which makes sense.

So all in, I think it's a fair deal.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
It's interesting how similar the storylines are with PLD and Chychrun. Both acquired in the past year or so by a team who paid a massive price for them, but didn't really need them because they had two guys ahead of them on the depth chart already (Kopitar and Danault in LA, Sanderson and Chabot in OTT). They both ended up playing primarily on the third line/pairing with questionable talent, and at times they were played out of position (PLD saw some time on the wing, Chychrun played his offside with Chabot for parts of the season).

Now in DC they'll both be playing in their proper spots. PLD will start out centering a top 6 line with some skilled wingers, maybe even the top line, and getting plenty of PP time, while Chychrun will be 1st or 2nd pairing with an ideal partner in Roy. Hopefully that makes a big difference.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The price we paid for Chychrun was more a result of our former GM being one of the worst managers in recent memory vs. an accurate reflection of him as a player.

I think Chychrun can be a good, offense-first 2nd pairing guy. He has an unreal shot, is a solid passer, and is good at jumping in off the rush.

If paired with the right partner (and it seems like that's the plan in Washington with Roy), he can be a solid guy who plays 20-21 minutes a night and puts up ~45-50 points.

His downside is that he's quite poor in his own end. He routinely makes bad decisions, takes way too many bad penalties and for a guy as big as he is, is allergic to contact. He needs to be insulated.

It didn't work in Ottawa because we had a logjam at LD, didn't have a need for another defenseman who was weak at actually playing defense (Chabot has that covered), and to be honest, his effort level last year was terrible. And reportedly, he wasn't well liked in his room.

I think there's some shock at the return because of his name recognition, but in reality, his value is probably a little bit lower than John Marino considering he's a pending UFA.

He's probably worth a 2nd + 3rd in an all futures package, and Ottawa took Jensen instead of the 2nd to fill in immediate need, which makes sense.

So all in, I think it's a fair deal.
Thanks for the seemingly fair response. If he can fill that role here he’s worth it for us. Also Jensen can be pretty good in his own right. Fantastic skater, just questionable once he crosses the opposing blue line.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Randomly remembered that I pulled this card years ago.

Hope he plays well enough for the value to go up.

PXL_20240702_233930622.jpg

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's interesting how similar the storylines are with PLD and Chychrun. Both acquired in the past year or so by a team who paid a massive price for them, but didn't really need them because they had two guys ahead of them on the depth chart already (Kopitar and Danault in LA, Sanderson and Chabot in OTT). They both ended up playing primarily on the third line/pairing with questionable talent, and at times they were played out of position (PLD saw some time on the wing, Chychrun played his offside with Chabot for parts of the season).

Now in DC they'll both be playing in their proper spots. PLD will start out centering a top 6 line with some skilled wingers, maybe even the top line, and getting plenty of PP time, while Chychrun will be 1st or 2nd pairing with an ideal partner in Roy. Hopefully that makes a big difference.
Almost like GMBM's people are looking for guys who fit that sort of underutilized description......

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Almost like GMBM's people are looking for guys who fit that sort of underutilized description......
"Our strategy is to find round pegs that dipshit GMs and coaches have been trying to bang into square holes, then we put them into round holes. Call me crazy, but we think that might just work."

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
How does this thread only have <2 pages of comments and EatBread has triple? I thought this trade was a massive get for the Caps
Since it happened right at the start of FA frenzy and HF Caps was going down a lot almost all of the talk is the FA frenzy thread.

Reactions: Kalopsia

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
How does this thread only have <2 pages of comments and EatBread has triple? I thought this trade was a massive get for the Caps

My take is:

Some people here love to complain. Don't see much to complain about this acquisition so GMBM's typical detractors are quiet.

Or they're all out trying to score some meth and haven't logged in lately.

Who knows.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020

Hopefully getting to play under Scott Allen again, with a childhood buddy in Duhaime, and a former teammate/roommate in Strome, will help him find his best hockey. He scored 18 goals/41 points in 56 games back in Arizona. He also hit more, and was more physical, he needs to find that again.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The site crashed and there were multiple pages of discussion in the general free agency thread. Things were happening quickly and most people just stayed in one thread instead of bouncing back and forth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad