Was this the darkest day in Habs history?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
By that logic, they were also able to do it without Chelios.
Right, but Chelios' career was like 1000 times more impactful and useful from that point forward. I would have stuck with Chelios. Savard withered away shortly after his Montreal stint and was never an effective player again.
Bad trade.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Right, but Chelios' career was like 1000 times more impactful and useful from that point forward. I would have stuck with Chelios. Savard withered away shortly after his Montreal stint and was never an effective player again.
Bad trade.
I remember people being in shock at first but there wasn't a lot of outrage. Of course, this was before the advent of internet message boards and social media so aside from some open line radio shows and sternly-worded letters to the editor in the newspaper, you didn't have access to much in the way of fan feedback. I was in my car driving downtown near the Forum listening to an Expos game on the radio when Dave Van Horne announced the trade and I wasn't sure what to think.

I was at the Forum for the first home game and I recall that at the first whistle after the opening face-off when Savard came over the boards to play his first shift, they gave him a huge ovation. I was also at the Forum for Chelios' first game in Montreal with the Blackhawks. No ovation for him.

Montrealers love their "ti-gars de chez nous".

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I remember people being in shock at first but there wasn't a lot of outrage. Of course, this was before the advent of internet message boards and social media so aside from some open line radio shows and sternly-worded letters to the editor in the newspaper, you didn't have access to much in the way of fan feedback. I was in my car driving downtown near the Forum listening to an Expos game on the radio when Dave Van Horne announced the trade and I wasn't sure what to think.

I was at the Forum for the first home game and I recall that at the first whistle after the opening face-off when Savard came over the boards to play his first shift, they gave him a huge ovation. I was also at the Forum for Chelios' first game in Montreal with the Blackhawks. No ovation for him.

While it was a bad trade with hindsight, reality remains we won the cup with Savard on the team, yes he was injured in the playoffs but we still won. So for me , with the result being a Cup it becomes acceptable. The other trades took us to the bottom of the league, those are the disaster trades

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014

I remember the Savard trade. I remember being THRILLED with it at the time. I loved his spinorama. I loved that we were getting a legit 100 point guy...but it quickly became clear that he was done being that guy. His body was slowing down, the NHL was turning into that trap crazy thug fest that ate players like Denis alive. Chelios on the other hand thrived.

In retrospect, it was a bad one.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
June 5th, 2012
The dawn of a new era.

1670989946884.jpeg

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Hiring Tremblay, Roy incident or his trade. Definitely worst three moments in Habs history.
Yup….the Roy trade was the worst and it’s not that we traded him but what we got in return.

We got Thibault, Rucinsky and the heavy smoking Kovalenko.

That team had Heyduk, Deadmarsh, Forsberg….we ended up with all their junk for the greatest goalie at the time!!

Dark times

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We’re already torturing ourselves on a weekly basis with an array of bad moves being recited on parade in a ton of threads.

Safe to say, we didn’t need a thread to remind of them.

Nor for this once dormant pile of dung to resurface. Especially now, with so much positivity and enthusiasm surrounding the team as it slowly rises from its ashes.

Would one of the powers that be, please consider putting it out of its misery with a lock?

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Demers and Savard fired
Houle and Tremblay hired
Roy Traded
Muller traded
Last year before the closing of the forum.

As a kid, Roy and Muller were my two favourite players so it was really sad to see them go. You just assume as a kid that these guys will be habs forever.

Hard to top 1995

But I have to say in retrospect, they traded Muller at the right time.

Reactions: Kimota

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
George Gillett Jr selling the team to Molson.

Hasn't been as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

Molson family has deep pockets and they're willing to spend and best of all, the family doesn't get involved in hockey operations. They're literally just a bank account.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Easily the day Bargain Bin got hired. The day he got canned I wept with relief. Well not really, I could have though, just a little reflection with the disaster he had been, I could have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad